Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Case 494 1979
Never owned a unimog before
Can you tell from the pictures what I have here.
Hoping to do some offloading and put a truck camper on the rear.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking for help with the horsepower rating.
The number of forward gears
I guess some were 20 speed and some were 8 speed

Would anyone be interested in the giant toothbrush? It can probably be used to brush a driveway, parking lot, or streets.

The unimog has spent its entire life in Arizona.

I would like to keep the parts need to mount other universal tools.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,832 Posts
You uhhh.. have a Case MB4-94.

Which is to say that the case trucks pretty much only came in one type. It's 406 hard cab based and is in short a very loaded up U900 tuned to 94hp.

That is a might impressive wash rig, tunnel service?

You have the axle lockouts to stop the back from flexing with the boom, useless once you strip the wash rig and should be kept as a package with that front tank setup.

Whats your chassis number?

·
Registered
'76 Case MB4/94, '76 U1500 Ag Spec.
355 Posts
At first glance from the levers, its going to be a 20 speed. It has the intermediate gear selector lever, as well as the creeper level.

It looks like the entire rear platform is sitting on top of the stock Case deck. I see pockets at the corners, it probably once upon a time had legs with jacks that would allow you to lift it up.

The front tank and brackets look to be sitting on the stock DIN plate. 2 bolts and it should lift vertically off of the front.

·
Registered
1976 406 w/ backhoe and dozer blade, a small collection of implements too
1,469 Posts
Cool machine there.

I don't think we've had one like that pass through our little group of Mog nuts before. Trev would remember I'm sure.

Looks to me like you have a good place to start. All the implements are just implements so pull them off and start on the truck. As Francis said, a Case truck is hiding under there. Too bad the backhoe and loader are gone. Well, the backhoe anyways.

I do wonder what is going on in the passenger door. Is that some sort of pass through for controls?

·
Registered
'76 Case MB4/94, '76 U1500 Ag Spec.
355 Posts
I do wonder what is going on in the passenger door. Is that some sort of pass through for controls?
I'm speculating the passenger seat's sideways for an operator to control the brush and that may be a spot for the operator's feet....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate all of the replies. How much can I sell the broom, stabilization brackets, and water tank attachments for?

I don't want to get rid of anything that is needed to add a backhoe or other attachments, I just don't need these.

I will try and find the chassis number. How mini digits is it.

Would this be more inline with the capabilities of a true unimog versus the see trucks or are they the same?

With the 20 speed transmission is the top speed around 62 or 63 mph?

Would the attachments from a see work on this?

Thanks

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,274 Posts
What you have there is a pretty well spec'd Case MB4/94, 94hp, as said above likely a 20spd transmission, and pretty specialized setup to do one thing. It looks to have "all the gears" and "all the hydraulics" ;)

Will SEE attachments work? Not without much modification, while they share the same lineage to a point they have different baby daddies so to speak.but that's ok, the 1000's of CASE MB4/94 implements already in the USofA will work, and those are far more plentiful than the SEE attachments. There are more options for snowplows (Schmidt Vplows, multi section plows, etc), Loaders (regular, grapple bucket), backhoes (regular and the ever coveted extenda-hoe) as well as clearly some we've not seen here, such as tunnel washers :)

Both the Case MB4/94 and the SEE are implement carriers, they were designed as working Unimogs to be versatile. Both are Americanized versions of the Unimog. But are as much a Unimog as a 411, 421, all the way up to the U500. Just they were designed for carrying implements and doing work, short wheelbases for tight turning. Not so much for cross country camping travel such as a U1550 would be.

As for the existing attachments (wicked cool passenger door, like an early version of the "mower door") that's going to need someone really looking for those attachments or a collector, but my suggestion would be to ballpark a price you need to get for them, post them here on the "For Sale and Wanted" section, as well as the Unimog Exchange which reaches a lot of people.

·
Registered
'76 1300L,HE351CW,H15P Winches,Konis,Hydraulics,All Gears,10mm Plungers,Aftercooler,Lots of Littles
2,700 Posts
Speed wise you will get 45-50 out of that machine after you take everything off.

You might find a better financial proposition in selling the unit complete to someone and buying a different base machine If you want an off-roader, bit I am not sure what I know what you mean by the comparison to SEE trucks. You have a really specifically spec‘d MB94 wall washer vs a SEE loader/digger. There are more options for the MB94 for sure, but this is a unique starting point.

Selling the bits: I dunno who needs to wash walls exactly; are they more interested in a complete unit? Maybe anyway. One of the challenges of selling specialized UNIMOG attachments is that they are made specifically for one platform, with an MB94 your odds are probably better than some models.

Speciality attachments for a 40 year old specialty trucks is possibly more of a buyers market than complete 40 year old speciality trucks with matching speciality ‘ttachments. Still dunno who would use it for the original purpose though...

I think what you have might be a pretty cool land maintenance machine with a little work? Put a flail mower on in place of the brush head. Tank up Front for fert or whatever, tank in the back for? and get a case backhoe? And a front loader if you want.

Nice find.

C.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I started thinking the same thing, sell it to get something more similar to what I want. Then I started thinking about it being government owned and maintained since new in AZ. I am on the fence. Having it shipped from Rust free AZ to VA would not be cheap.

I will list the load on the farm tractor haul site to see what it will cost to move it. If someone is interested in buying or trading for a unimog with a longer wheelbase on the east coast let me know. Or if someone in Az wants to help (be paid) with storage until I can get a fair price on shipping it that would be great also.

That washer would be a lot more useful with mower/cutting blades. Will the blades of a mower fit in the same head? I have seen something similar cutting brush on the side of the road.

I see that some of these case units are advertised at going up to 62/63 mph. Is there an easy way to determine the top speed remotely?

You guys would have to tell me what to ask for the attachments.

Thanks

·
Registered
1976 406 w/ backhoe and dozer blade, a small collection of implements too
1,469 Posts
If you are going the camper route you may want to think square cab, for a handful of reasons. Wander around this site as here are many camper builds and lots of thoughts on base vehicle selection. The 406 line of trucks are small and slow and loud even after a lot of work.

Of course every Mog is a snow flake but it takes a great deal of work to get to 60+ mph on a round cab Mog. Its been done but not cheap or easy and I've never heard of a Case Mog with those specialty axles and pinions. If you ever see that, it's in a 416. Get the VIN and there are a few here that can run it and maybe you'll see the axle option codes and can tell.

Sorry, can't help on what may or what may not fit on that brush assembly. I have no experience with those.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is what I have for a vin or chaiss number

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with what others have said about the top speed. My MB4/94 is reasonably comfortable at 40 mph but quickly gets loud and unruly at much over this. The short wheelbase just isn't conducive to high-speed roading. Flat-out mine will approach a gps-verified 50 mph but it isn't at all a pleasant experience. The published top speed of the MB4/94 was 46 mph at the rated engine speed of 2550 rpm. Keep in mind that the 406 series was designed first-and-foremost as a multi-purpose tractor and implement carrier, not as a truck.

·
Registered
1987 Unimog SEE
114 Posts
Remember, because of the specialized purpose, that would have been spec’ed to go slow, not fast. I echo the comments about getting a square cab.
I’m located in SE PA and have a SEE, if you want to check one out in person.

·
Registered
FLU 419.101 (2), FLU 419.102, Flu 419.103 (2), 406.121
224 Posts
If it does end up coming apart, I'd like to buy the rear suspension locks.
They look very similar to what's on the HME, but hard to tell from the pics if they're identical. And since it would go right by here, I could remove them during the driver's coffee break.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PM me an offer for what you want.

I have the mog advertised as a haul load on yesterday's tractor. Hoping to get some resonable offers for moving it to the east. Ideally the attachments would cover those costs.

I will also list it on Unimog exchange. If anyone is interested in the whole rig or attachments send me offers via PM. Not wanting to part the main unit out.

13000 miles

Thanks everyone does the VIN or chaiss number I posted earlier make since?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts