Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a 300TD - non-turbo wagon. There is a major drawback: I think the vacuum system is shot. Here are the clues:

1. In general - complete lack of service records. I can't tell what's been done, and the pre- previous owner supposedly did next to nothing in terms of maintenance. The current owner has had it for a few weeks only before deciding to sell it. So something must be amiss!

2. Rough shift from 1st to 2nd (high RPMS before auto tranny shifts). Every other shift including reverse is smooth. The tranny fluid is clear, so despite the prior owner's lack of care, this fluid is clean. I'm thinking this might indicate a recent tranny rebuild.

3. Auto door locks aren't functioning.

4. Front windows work, rear windows inop

5. A/C doesn't work ... a cursory glance indicated the compressor isn't even connected.

6. The biggest indicator - it looks like a part is missing at the front. I am not experienced enough with vacuum systems to tell what it is. Two rectangular connectors are dangling unconnected, and several vacuum lines are unconnected. These are yellow (door locks I think, right?). The missing part location is at the front left of the engine, if you're facing the car from the front. The current owner says a couple hundred for the part, but who knows.

In total, it seems like this missing part has made many vacuum parts malfunction. I just don't know what could allow tranny shifting but kill everything else.

The engine is very strong at 200k miles. Other than 1st to 2nd, the tranny seems smooth without slippage.

Asking price is $2k, but there is clearly some major vacuum system work to be done.

Could anyone help me track this missing part, and evaluate if this is a good deal?

·
Registered
85 300D, 84 300D, 05 Mustang GT Vert, 11 VW JSW TDI, 95 Del Sol, 88 IROC, 95 Villager, 04 Wrangler
602 Posts
The missing part is probably the vac pump. that would cause all kinds of issues. Figure it needs at least an ac compressor. NOT a 2k vehicle IMHO.

·
Registered
1984 Mercedes 300D Euro Spec
462 Posts
About the rear windows, did you press the rear window lockout button between the front left and rear left window switch? If its rust free I would offer $1,000.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you two for speedy responses!

I did try the window switches, and there is no sound when they're pressed. So I was thinking it might just be bad motors.

There are some rust spots and the paint job is pretty bad. I'd have to clean the rust off and paint those spots at the very least - but to be honest the whole thing needs redone. The bottom is clean - it's a Texas vehicle so no salt.

About the missing vac pump - can the hard shift from 1st to 2nd be related?

It was a real let down, because I've been looking to buy one of these for so long! I'm wondering if buying it at all is worth it at this point. Maybe a $800-$1000 offer?

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
The missing part is the ACC servo, it controls the automatic climate control. If the button is in the off position the loose vacuum lines shouldn't disrupt the other vacuum circuits.

The flare in the transmission is most likely a poorly adjusted transmission.

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,061 Posts
1. What part of the country are you located in?
2. Vacuum system - if the pump is not working, my understanding is that you will have no power brakes. It would be difficult to miss this. Sounds more like lots of vacuum stuff is disconnected and/or broken which is NOT a big deal.
3. AC - assume $1000+ to fix and ignore that
4. Window not working - the switches can get pretty crappy - I suspect the switch of a fuse before the motor itself, particularly on a passenger window. I _think_ that there is a fuse for front right and rear left and a different fuse for front left and rear right, but I could be wrong.
5. Rust - probably the most expensive part of the equation...
6. Check to see if the heater works. That's a big-ticket item, or it can be.
7. Check to see if the rear suspension (self-leveling suspension) works. load up the back and start the car, it should rise. If you go over a speed bump, how does it act? If it jolts upwards the accumulators are shot, not too expensive but something to consider.

The vacuum stuff is the easiest stuff to fix, go to diesel giant and read their DIY stuff on mercedes diesel.

Finally, don't buy a $800 car if you can afford a $2000 car or a $3000 car. Buy the best one you can - it will be cheaper and more fun in the long run.

Oh, the 1 to 2 shift - possibly an adjustment, possibly vacuum related. I wouldn't assume a rebuild on the transmission at all.

If you can locate a reasonable mechanic, this would be worth spending some $$$ on for an evaluation.

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo Diesel
216 Posts
@Scoot... AC $1000 plus? I thought that the compressors for these cars were all america and fairly affordable. My mechanic told me not to worry about the cost of the AC. Currently just purchased a '82 300D Turbo Diesel and the AC is only blowing hot air. Hoping it's not $1K to fix. Below are pics

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123-e-ce-d-cd-td/1556099-good-deal-300d-turbo-diesel-3.html

Will be taking it to the mechanic in the next week or so... still unregistered.

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,061 Posts
@Scoot... AC $1000 plus? I thought that the compressors for these cars were all america and fairly affordable. My mechanic told me not to worry about the cost of the AC. Currently just purchased a '82 300D Turbo Diesel and the AC is only blowing hot air. Hoping it's not $1K to fix. Below are pics
$1000 is something one can use as a guess for non-working AC. Mine had a non-working compressor, and when the system got charged it blew a hose. I had less than $1000 into it. But if you start fixing control modules and/or vacuum things inside the dash, the labor parts and labor costs can go really high. The compressor is not expensive. The labor for doing stuff can be expensive. If your mechanic says not to worry about it, it's probably much less than $1000 to fix. My situation involved multiple re-charges which is a little pricey.

If your car blows hot air even when you don't have it set to hot, your mono valve doesn't work and you need to replace the broken rubber diaphram that lets the hot water go into the heater core. Inexensive easy DIY fix.

·
Registered
1981 300 C D Bot with 14K miles.
525 Posts
I think you can buy a better car than that.

A majority of the poster are very good mechanics. So if you ask them a question, they will tell you how to fix the problem.

In this case, the problem is that the car seemed not to be well maintained.

You should look for a better car!

Better yet, tell these guys your budget and ask these guys to find you a better car. I think you will get a lot of assistance. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
525 Posts
83 for sale in Broward Florida Florida Craigslist

1983 MERCEDES BENZ 300TD TURBO DIESEL WAGON HARD TO FIND

THE CAR HAS ICE COLD AIR CONDITIONING
SONY STEREO CD

CAR HAS POWER WINDOWS AND ALL 4 ARE IN WORKING ORDER AS WELL AS ALL OF THE GAUGES WIPERS LIGHTS ETC. ARE ALL IN WORKING ORDER

CAR IS ALSO EQUIPED WITH THE MANUEL SUNROOF WHICH OPENS AND SHUTS FINE

THE INTERIOR SEATS ARE GOOD WITH SOME MINOR STAINS ON THE RUG WHICH ARE EXPECTED FOR ANY 30+ YEAR OLD CAR

THE CAR HAS ICE COLD ARI CONDITIONING

THE CAR RUNS EXCELLENT AND SHIFTS OUT PERFECTLY SMOOTH

YOU CAN DRIVE THIS CAR ABSOLUTELY ANYWHERE

THE CAR JUST NEEDS A COUPLE OF MINOR MINOR COSMETICS

THE CAR SEEMS TO HAVE ITS ORIGINAL PAINT WHICH IS SOMEWHAT FADED IN A COUPLE OF SPOTS MOSTLY ON THE TOP, AND APPEARS TO HAVE NEXT TO NO RUST EXCEPT FOR ONE SMALL REPAIRED SPOT

NO REASONABLE OFFERS REFUSED $3500 OR BEST OFFER
WON'T LAST, DON'T WAIT CALL BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE DOES !!! COME SEE AND DRIVE THIS CAR AND MAKE YOUR BEST OFFER,

CALL (954) 383-7517 OR EMAIL ROBINAZACHS @AOL.COM IT IS BEST TO CALL FOR IMMEDIATE RESPONSE TO COME SEE & BUY THIS CAR BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE DOES !!

This car looks good. But there are low mileage ones for sale but you must buy it quickly.

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
The non-functioning rear windows (any, for that matter) could be bad wiring, not a bad motor. I know mine is. The left rear is the only one with a problem.

The console switch does nothing.
The rear switch only makes it go down.

MB sends "2" hot wires at 12V to the rear door switch. When pressing the switch down, it connects one hot wire to one side of the motor and ground to the other. When pressing up, it reverses the connections, BUT, uses the OTHER hot wire. In my case, the hot wire used for going UP is only 3V. The DOWN wire is 12V.

Still sorting this one out. Both hot wires go through the console switch, so don't know why that switch doesn't work in the UP direction. Time to take apart and do more voltage / continuity tests.

·
Registered
525 Posts
1984 300TD MERCEDES 5 CYL TURBO DIESEL AUTO 157K MILES|Mercedes-Benz : - $2350

portland craigslist > multnomah co > for sale / wanted > cars & trucks - by owner

(Gresham Oregon)
Date: 2010-11-28, 7:39AM PST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

This is a great running and driving 1984, Mercedes, 300 turbor diesel, very rare to find, wagon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts