Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
CLK 350
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. First of all, sorry for my poor english ( I am spanish [:)] )
Two months ago I fell in love with the CLK 320. I am about to order it and Mercedes gives me a week period to do it. They say if I wait some more I won't be able to order it and I will have to wait for the 350.
I tested the 320 car one month ago and I loved the soft and quiet driving. The response is very linear and although is a sports car, the driving feeling makes me feel like being inside a C Class.
I trust in the 320 engine because although is not as powerful as the new 350, it has been mounted for a long time, even on the CLK's mounted before 2002. I am not an expert as you can see, and this is my question:
Do you think is worthy waiting for the new CLK 350 and forget about the 320, although I like it and the old engine seems "trustful" to me? I don't care much about power, but I really care about a car to last many many years...
Please, give me your opinion. I only have one week to decide...
Thank you very much in advance.
Kind regards from Spain to everyone.
Cesar Manuel Lopez

·
Registered
'98 Toyota 4Runner
12 Posts
The 350 engine isn't brand new to MB, it's brank new to the CLK. It's the same engine that is curently in the SLK350, & E350.

If you're not interested in the refresh or more power I would go with the 320 since you should be able to get a better deal as everyone else is waiting on the 350, and the dealer will want to move whatever they can. Just remember when it comes to selling the 05 320 it will be 2 months older than the 06 models, but will be viewed as being an entire year older, and the smaller engine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Somewhat the same dilemna without the time pressure. Some years back MB went to a 3 valve head purportedly to decrease emissions and expected to increase fuel efficiency with little loss of power. Like many of the company's recent decisions, this was a mistake. I suspect at least part of the reason was to reduce manufacturing costs.

Anyway, the 350 with the 4 valve head offers a 25% increase in power with little less than a 10% bump in capacity. We wish delivery by mid July on a cabriolet. I will probably opt for an '05 500 and hope to get a decent price. I suspect the '06 350 will be at near MSRP and close to that of the '05 500.

·
Registered
2004 Clk 320
2 Posts
Hi,
I have had my clk 320 for 2 yrs now. I love everything about it, granted I don't know about the new 350. SInce your concern is for long time use, I do recommend the clk 320 because it's been around longer.

·
Registered
1992 400SE
2 Posts
I've driven the new E350 and also the CLK320. From a power/smoothness standpoint, the E350 with the 7-speed auto tranny wins -- it really makes the sedan feel like a sports car (and the gas mileage is pretty good, too).

From a longevity standpoint, my limited experience with earlier Mercedes (1986 300E and 1992 400SE) was that the engine wasn't typically the weakest link: transmission and other systems were typically more problematic. Thus I'd tend to think that the W209 series would probably end up with a common set of issues, that wouldn't be specific by engine. I'd go for the CLK350, even with $2000 back on the CLK320. Your mileage may vary, of couse. :)

Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts