Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
'91 300 2.5
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...I'm new here, and I swear I've tried to search the forums for info before asking :) but I'm not coming up with the info I need.
I want to spend less than $10K, and I'm looking at 300 Diesels (I've read enough about the 350s to stay away!).
What are the pros and cons associated with the 5 and 6 cylinder engines?
Instinct steers me away from odd numbers of cylinders.
How about turbo pros and cons?
Also, one of the reasons I'm looking at MB is safety, and I need headrests in the back seats...I think I start seeing them around '86.
Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Peace
Charlie

· Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
i am a w123 diesel guy myself. but i have a lot of w124's. none diesel though. but from my time on the forum i have not heard anything deadly about the w124 diesels. glow plugs are a pain, but i do not remember anything else. as for odd cylinders. forget whatever you are thinking. my old 5 cylinders are smoother than any v-8 i have had. and turbo is a GO.

· Cruise Control
'87 300TD Myna 7mm pump and HX30 /'89 Vanagon TDI 12mm pump and GT2052
52,336 Posts
The OM602 five cylinder engines found in the '90 - '93 300D 2.5 and very rare '87 190D turbo is probably one of MB's best all around diesel engines, ever. Great fuel economy, power, simplicity and reliability.

· Registered
625 Posts
The 95 E300 diesel is a 6 cylinder non turbo...rare car to find...last of the 124 body style...great cars, bullet proof engines. The evaporator on 124 series cars tend to go out and is expensive to fix 2k. The wiring harness usually needs to be replaced. Besides that change the oil and keep up with maitenence and these cars will treat you well. The turbo models have a bit more pep from 0-45mph but on the interstate the 6cylinder non turbo is as refined as a mercedes gets...get one if you can find it..
best of luck

· Registered
'91 300 2.5
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is all good stuff...thank you.
A couple newbie-type questions...
How does one identify the different body styles?
I've not seen a car for sale that is listed by anything other than the model #.
I have no idea, for instance, what a 124 body style is.
Being a gasoline guy, I assume an evaporator is a diesel thing.
What is it?
And...
Why would a non-British car need a new wiring harness? ;)
In my limited experience with German electrics (if 2 relays is good, 5 is better),
changing a wiring harness must be a serious drag!

· Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
evap is an A/C component. any car with air is going to have one. if you are not going to buy an old diesel, i would buy one from years 86-92 maybe a little later. i do not know about diesels after 85. i do know that i have read a lot of bad stuff about the wire harness on 93-??? they crack and cause alot of headache

· Registered
Oo == oO 98 E320
674 Posts
Charlie,
the body styles are how these forums are broken up: take a look at the page before this & you'll see you're asking primarily about 124's: the '86-95 E-class.

As for the wiring harness, MB had some poor quality wiring harnesses that went into most of the car line for a few years; do a search & you'll find the exact years, all in the early '90s. Roughly $1200 repair jobs with labor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.