Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leak at where the pressure control cable or bowden line connects into the 722.3 W4A-040 transmission at RH side center of casing on 1986 560SEL. It looks to have a tan plastic lock tab and I do not want to break it by not knowing how to proceed. To disconnect and get to replace an O ring do I rotate and pull up or what. If so what is rotation direction and by how many degrees from cable end perspective? Any other caveats? I would hope this is not going to internally disconnect the actual line, is that correct?

·
Registered
82 300sd, 84 500sec
231 Posts
If I remember correctly, it's not a rotate lock but rather barbed catches that pop out slightly when the cable housing is fully seated in the trans.
Just pull and wiggle gently and it may well come out.

If that doesn't do it, drop the pan and slip a socket over the catches to compress them enough to release.

In my case replacing the old and hardened o ring did wonders for that leak. Now if only I could fix the oil leak as easily!

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Are you talking about the Kick Down Cable?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Josh, thanks for reply. In my case I worked it last night. It did rotate and did lift up. I exposed the plastic cylinder by pulling up a half inch and slid it sideways so it is now sitting exposed on the casing barrel housing it was inserted in. Since the line is still connected I cannot remove the O-ring. Next I will have to see if I can disconnect up at the throttle linkage and use that point to remove/replace the o-ring. Can you remember if that is how you did it. I do not want to drop pan unless I have to. I released enough fluid to be below the level I am exposing. The other solution might be to use shoe goo adhesive to seal it up. Any opinions?? I think I can slide the O-ring up along the cable and remove it at the throttle linkage end. Can anyone confirm this approach before I discover the facts myself??

Mclare...no this is not the kickdown activator which I think is an electrical switch. This bowden line or as Benz calls it the pressure control cable mechanically relays accelerator pedal position to the tranny which indicates engine load. Vacuum modulator also relays this info so there is some redundancy. Both sets of information are indicators of engine loading but the vacuum modulator is a more true indicator in my opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts