Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ML500 2002 S430
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys Ive been trying to find my PS fluid loss since yesterday. Ive been looking in the pump area when in fact it is coming from the passenger side rack boot. Im losing a tremendous amount of fluid. Topping off the resevoir lasts only a few miles. The boot is torn allowing me to slide it back away from the TR end releasing fluid. the remainder of the boot is still clamped to the tie rod. Can someone please help me with a fix? I have a couple days to get to it but work is so hectic right now I really need my vehicle! Can I find a way to seal the boot? Can I install a new boot? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much, Pete

·
Registered
2003 ML500 2002 S430
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually if anyone could direct me to a DIY rack replacement I would appreciate it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430 1999 ML 320
92 Posts
Actually if anyone could direct me to a DIY rack replacement I would appreciate it. Thanks again.
Pete, The boot on a rack is just really a dust seal. You need a rebuilt rack. You will also need an alignment to recenter the steering wheel and reset the toe settings. If you need instructions for replacing it you might want to see about having it done by someone who has done them before. Its not generally to difficult to do but a small mistake like a cross threaded line fitting could become very costly. Good Luck and let us know how this turns out.
Jack..

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,101 Posts
Pete, M/B sells a repair kit (#47), but what it contains is unknown. Here are the procedures for removing the bellows and inner tie rod.

Have you gone off-roading or something similar?

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 ML500 2002 S430
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pete, M/B sells a repair kit (#47), but what it contains is unknown. Here are the procedures for removing the bellows and inner tie rod.

Have you gone off-roading or something similar?
I appreciate the help very much and No sir, Treated her like a baby since I purchased.

May I ask, Are you telling me that I can replace the end seals and a new rack is not needed? I was under the impression that those seals were not accesible?

Thanks again, Pete

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,101 Posts
I appreciate the help very much and No sir, Treated her like a baby since I purchased.

May I ask, Are you telling me that I can replace the end seals and a new rack is not needed? I was under the impression that those seals were not accessible?

Thanks again, Pete
Pete, I agree in the fact that the bellows is only there to protect the inner tie rod, but originally you wanted to know if replacing the bellows would stop the leak. You are contradicting what you previously said.

I provided you with info on a repair kit, but I did not know what it contains, which means you were supposed to find that out.

Here are the instructions for the R&I of the rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts

May I ask, Are you telling me that I can replace the end seals and a new rack is not needed? I was under the impression that those seals were not accesible?

Thanks again, Pete
Hello Pete,

You are, of course, receiving expert help from 43sqd already.

From a layman's point of view, i.e. myself, of the exploded parts diagram above, it would seem that you could replace only the end seals and an entire steering rack ($$$$$$$) would not be required.

However, this would be dependent, as 43sqd said, upon the contents of the repair kit sold by Mercedes.

I hope for your sake that it is a single replaceable part.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2003 ML500 2002 S430
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys for the help it really means alot.

I would consider myself to be a pretty skilled mechanic but my auto experience is somewhat limited. I am a plumber/pipefitter by trade zoo don't think crossthreading will be an issue ;)

I am going to see if my local merc dealer will disclose the contents of the repIr kit you mentioned, should I indeed have to replace the rack.

Thanks again so much. Really means alot to me

Pete

·
Registered
ML 270CDI 2002, BMW K1300S, VW POLO 1.9TDI
515 Posts
Thank you guys for the help it really means alot.

I would consider myself to be a pretty skilled mechanic but my auto experience is somewhat limited. I am a plumber/pipefitter by trade zoo don't think crossthreading will be an issue ;)

I am going to see if my local merc dealer will disclose the contents of the repIr kit you mentioned, should I indeed have to replace the rack.

Thanks again so much. Really means alot to me

Pete
Be interested to know if the kit includes the rack end seals (the one you have leaking). Cheers.

·
Registered
2003 ML500 2002 S430
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes sir I am interested in finding out the same thing. Evidently their are several locations the leak may be originating from. Would anyone happen to know where to find a rebuilt or "cheaper" rack?

Thanks, Pete

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,703 Posts
I doesn't really matter what kit contains. Seals are not accessible until rack is on the bench and piston is removed.

To remove the rack you need to get front axles and differential out of the way first.

·
Registered
ML 270CDI 2002, BMW K1300S, VW POLO 1.9TDI
515 Posts
It doesn't really matter what kit contains. Seals are not accessible until rack is on the bench and piston is removed.
To remove the rack you need to get front axles and differential out of the way first.
Well, it does really......;)......one wouldn't want to do all the work you describe and then discover that the seals in question were not included in the kit. :cool:

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,101 Posts
Yes sir I am interested in finding out the same thing. Evidently their are several locations the leak may be originating from. Would anyone happen to know where to find a rebuilt or "cheaper" rack?

Thanks, Pete
Update your profile in USER CP to include where you live.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,122 Posts
Seals are not in the kit. We ordered one and it is the boots/bellows, and new clips/clamps.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,703 Posts
Well, it does really......;)......one wouldn't want to do all the work you describe and then discover that the seals in question were not included in the kit. :cool:
If you are going to overhaul rack you need to get kit 44, 48, 60 and 137 x 4.

·
Registered
2003 ML500 2002 S430
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ended up changing the rack. I had a friend do it for $250 not too bad. Looked at the old unit and the internal seals are indeed inaccessible. I almost wanted to cut a 1/2" off the bad end of the rack to see if the seal can be removed, replaced and reweld the unit. But I have not done this. I don't know if this would void the core return.

I think this might be valuable info since these vehicles seem to be stricken with steering issues.

Would anyone like pics, dimensions or other info while I have the rack available?

Thanks again, Pete

1 - 17 of 17 Posts