Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1992 600SEL
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have 1992 600SEL W140 with ADS. The car has 115K miles, and it is in a perfect shape, except one thing. It rides rough now. The rear part is worse than the front. I have spent past 4 hours reading all posts that have any connection to this problem. I’ve got a really bleak picture of bad spheres. I’ve also checked the underside of the car recently. I did not see leaks from the blasted spheres or shocks.

Unfortunately the hydraulic level in the reservoir is way too low. I have some fluid inside, but the dipstick does not reach it. The color is light brown and the fluid smells good. The manual does not have information on this topic. Please help.[B)]

I need to know the proper way to check and add fluid.
Should the car be started or not:
- when I check the level.
- when I add more fluid to the tank.

I assume that only MB fluid should be used.

Best Regards,
Dan Archer[:)]

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Hydraulic Fluid To the Proper Level

Ok firstly the fluid needs to be MB, yes.. the color should be clear..or as near as..There are pics in my gallery folder on how to change the fluid without draining everything down (click my name then clk gallery)..and changing spheres..first I would recomend you remove the filter in the reservoir clean with petrol..and collect and keep the black gunk that is on the magnet.. will help tell whats going on.. and my pics will help you do a hot swap.. drain the oil out whilst you refill into the reservoir.. you can do this on tickoverlook at my pics first and then plan the operation.. do not worry if you overfill whilst doing the change..nothing bad will happen..

If you need more help .. just ask..

Welcome to the W140 funny farm.. you dont have to be mad to be here.. but, we can help with that..

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
If the flud is down, and no leaks ae discovered, I suspect a failed "accumulator" I had a similar situation, after having the car serviced, it was down. I went to the dealer and the service rep topped it up, later noticed a bouncy ride. Accumulator(s) were bad!

·
Registered
1992 600SEL
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys! I am afraid my sphere(s) is(are) bad.
I will try to add some fluid, if that does not change anything; I am going to replace them. It is fortunate this forum has members like you. Best Regards. Dan

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
When you have topped up the fluid there are other procedures that you will need to follow to get the suspension to work.. .. get back to me and i will explain..

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
To Get Hydraulic Fluid To the Proper Level

Your ADS system might be a little slow to respond some of them are if they are not used often or they have switched themselves off to protect things... when you have filled with clean oil try lifting the back from the diff housing with a trolley jack,so tyres just touching floor(do this on flat surface)whilst running engine and switch ADS on and off a few times.. then drop and lift a few times.5times front each side 5times back switching between hard5 and soft5. check the colour of the oil.. and the magnet in the reservoir .. see if you have muck.. will flush system round a bit give it somthing to do..last time should remain HIGH for some time and settle slowly..then you can do the trunk test.. get two of your larger friends to climb into the back and watch to see if the self levellig system takes you back to level again..should be less than 30 seconds and then if the ride seems a bit harsh to start with.. It might just be it needs to re-learn what to do.. If you have no lights on then I would give it a couple of hundred miles to sort itself out.. then see if you need spheres etc..

·
Registered
1992 600SEL
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RE: To Get Hydraulic Fluid To the Proper Level

Thank you very much Merc600sec. The info you provide is very valuable. I have added almost 1 liter of the hydro-fluid to bring the level to the MAX marking. When I raised the rear of the car, more fluid rushed to the container, I hope that's the correct thing. I started the rear-raised car and the fluid's level started to go down immediately. When I lowered the car I noticed its rear is a bit higher than before and it has more up and down play when I push the rear down. I am going to raise and drop the car a few more times. Can't wait to get it on the road and test the suspension. My garage is blocked by a disabled ML320 that was totaled in April. Thanks again and Best Regards, Dan Archer.[:)]

·
Registered
500S 1996
30 Posts
I changed the hydraulic fluid and the back side my car is bouncing like hell now (500s 1996). It had a nice ride before.
I guess like some one mentioned above I have to wait for about 200 miles for the car to adjust itself???
The damm michanic did not mention anything about this problem arising after changing the fluid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts