Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1983 240d - 1985 300d - 1984 280sel
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying for an hour or so to get the original becker radio out of my '84 280sel and cannot figure out how to do it. It's super easy in my w123 300d (as seen in first picture) to just pull down the two tabs on the sides and slider it right out, but my 280sel has no such tabs visible. Sticking my camera under the radio, all I can see is a plastic frame under the middle, and two metal strip type things on the side. I can stick a screwdriver under these metal tabs, but they absolutely wont move down. They also appear to have a curved piece cut out as you can see in another pic, but I cant get anything under (actually over) this either. Can someone help me out, please?!!?

Attachments

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,108 Posts
Have you tried a forum search? The archive has a wealth of information.

Welcome, to take advantage of all the forum features, please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page, as well as the two DIY stickies.
It will show how to search the forum (3 words min.), and has a link to the Russian MB site where you can run a VIN#.
Cheers

This is all I could find:

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 M-B E320 (W210)
493 Posts
I've been trying for an hour or so to get the original becker radio out of my '84 280sel and cannot figure out how to do it. It's super easy in my w123 300d (as seen in first picture) to just pull down the two tabs on the sides and slider it right out, but my 280sel has no such tabs visible. Sticking my camera under the radio, all I can see is a plastic frame under the middle, and two metal strip type things on the side. I can stick a screwdriver under these metal tabs, but they absolutely wont move down. They also appear to have a curved piece cut out as you can see in another pic, but I cant get anything under (actually over) this either. Can someone help me out, please?!!?
I did a forum and Googe search, but not coming up with much:

"You have to remove the ashtray... take out the ashtray... then there are two
screws to remove... once done, you can pull out ashtray assembly... (you
will have to move gearshift back out of the way)... then pull down two clips
and slide out the radio unit."

From another website:

"Now the upper section of the center console must be dealt with. First, remove the radio. I have a stock Becker unit (which by the way, is an excellent radio as far as I am concerned…it’s original on mine and works 100% after 24 years). In order to begin removing the radio, you will want to get a helper (although you might be able to do it solo). Each of you should have a small flathead screwdriver. You will see two little metal tabs just below the radio that can be gently pryed downwards. Pry them downwards and slide your hand back behind the radio and pull it out. A number of connections will then have to be removed from the back of the radio (six or so if my memory is serving me correctly)."

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
When I removed my radio. I stuck a flat screwdriver into each metal flap and then slid my hands underneath the radio and pulled the radio from the back towards me and it began to slide forward.

·
Registered
1991 300SEL
212 Posts
Push down one of the tabs with a flathead screwdriver and stick your hand through the opening where the ashtray goes and pull that side towards you until the tab no longer goes back up on its own. Hold it there, move the screwdriver to the other tab, pull it down and walk your fingers over towards the middle while holding the 2nd tab down and it should slide right out.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you tried a forum search? The archive has a wealth of information.

Welcome, to take advantage of all the forum features, please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page, as well as the two DIY stickies.
It will show how to search the forum (3 words min.), and has a link to the Russian MB site where you can run a VIN#.
Cheers

This is all I could find:
I did search and read everything I found and it didn't help. I looked at the pic you posted, and it looks like it's just being pulled out, which doesn't work on mine.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Push down one of the tabs with a flathead screwdriver and stick your hand through the opening where the ashtray goes and pull that side towards you until the tab no longer goes back up on its own. Hold it there, move the screwdriver to the other tab, pull it down and walk your fingers over towards the middle while holding the 2nd tab down and it should slide right out.

Neither of the tab things will move what-so-ever. I've tried just putting downward force on them and pulling at the radio from behind, but it doesn't budge.

·
Registered
1991 300SEL
212 Posts
Neither of the tab things will move what-so-ever. I've tried just putting downward force on them and pulling at the radio from behind, but it doesn't budge.
Hmph. Pull off the faceplate of your radio and see if it gives you a better idea of what's going wrong in/under there.

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
have you tried pushing the tabs up?
I got it out yesterday thanks to Teutone and hoodsir. There were no tabs at all. I'll post a pic later of how it was removed. Thanks Everybody!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts