Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Please help deciding on purchase of 1995 S320

838 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Joey6
I'm sorry if this has already been asked. A family member is selling her 1995 S320 LWB. It has almost 100k miles; it was involved in a semi serious accident and all of the reapirs look good. What should I expect to pay? After doing a little research, I'm guessing $12k-$15k. Also, what kind of problems should I expect in the miles to come? I'm a Lexus owner, so I'm expecting service costs to be similar in price if not more??? How important are all of the X-amount of miles services?

thanks,
Blake
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1999 S500 1993 300e 2.8 1991 190e Sportline 2.6 5sp
142 Posts
Blake:

I think that for a previously wrecked 1995 S320, the price range that you mentio...

Blake:

I think that for a previously wrecked 1995 S320, the price range that you mention is a little too steep. Keep in mind that there maybe other co-lateral damages with any car that has had a "semi-serious" accident. I would definitely think twice about this!! To give you an example, in last week's Trade Express (publication to sell your used car), I saw a 1995 S500 for sale @ 16.6K. This a place where people donate their used cars for the tax write-off. It is called "Cars 4 causes of Oxnard, CA" If you are interested, you may call them at (805)988-8899, and ask about the car. The picture is B/W so I cannot tellwhat the color it is, but it appears that it may be silver... just call them. I bet you that if you offer them 13.5 to 14K, they'll take it. It is stock # 72064. I have never seen any S class MB for sale by them. This is unusual!!.

Let me know what they say!!
[;)]

· Registered
1995 S420
553 Posts
Re: Blake:I think that for a previously wrecked 1995 S320, the price range that you mentio

Blake:

I think that for a previously wrecked 1995 S320, the price range that you mention is a little too steep. Keep in mind that there maybe other co-lateral damages with any car that has had a "semi-serious" accident. I would definitely think twice about this!! To give you an example, in last week's Trade Express (publication to sell your used car), I saw a 1995 S500 for sale @ 16.6K. This a place where people donate their used cars for the tax write-off. It is called "Cars 4 causes of Oxnard, CA" If you are interested, you may call them at (805)988-8899, and ask about the car. The picture is B/W so I cannot tellwhat the color it is, but it appears that it may be silver... just call them. I bet you that if you offer them 13.5 to 14K, they'll take it. It is stock # 72064. I have never seen any S class MB for sale by them. This is unusual!!.

Let me know what they say!!
[;)]
The price for S320 for $15k with an accident history and 100k miles is steep. I'd stay clear of it. I paid $19K for a S420, 70 year old single owner, mint condition, highway miles, dealer maintained, with 68k miles, for comparison. I'd also stay away from donated cars as they are always problem prone and NOT worth fixing, and that's why they were donated for a tax write off. Think about it, why donate a car unless it's not worth trading due to serious problem, which is also not worth fixing.

· Registered
2014 E250 Bluetec
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got some more info on the wreck....the driver fell asleep at the wheel; the full length ...

I got some more info on the wreck....the driver fell asleep at the wheel; the full length of the right side was damaged. It was $3500 in damages. Again, the repairs look good. What would an appropriate price range be?...$10k-$13k?

How many loans will I need if I ever have any problems repaired at a Merc dealer and maintinance costs? Also, are their any common problems in these cars?

Thanks for the responses[:D]
Blake

· Registered
1999 S500 1993 300e 2.8 1991 190e Sportline 2.6 5sp
142 Posts
Blake:I think ychachad has a point there... . But you never know. I still say that w...

Blake:

I think ychachad has a point there... . But you never know. I still say that what the guy wants for the "wrecked" MB is too high!! Couple of more examples: 1994 S420 $5995.00 (dealer) Can be seen at ADWCARS.COM or call them for details at (818)909-0165. 1995 S500 $15.5K (dealer) Wady Motors at (805)644-8000. Get my point. It would behoove you to call them. If the car you are talking about got "totalled" on the right side, more than likely there's damage to the frame and related components. The car will never be the same. Blake, it doesn't matter what the guys wants for the car. The fact is that the car has been wrecked and that is exactly what it is - a wrecked car that will show serious damage done on its CarFax Report (tremendously devalues the car) - have you ran a CarFax on this car yet?? I bought my car in CA and this report showed a minor fender bender that happened in NJ; however, the car was certified by CarFax to be sound. You follow??

As with any other car with a few years on it, you will have repairs done to it. Yes, it is expensive to maintain a W140, but the cars are worth it. I just spent $616.00US on a Vacuum pump for my 1999 S500. This pump was original and had given plenty of service for 4 years. Parts do wear out. The car is not self-repairing and/or self-maintance capable. You will have to spend money on it. It is expensive but you are paying for engineering and quality. MB ensures that their parts are of the highest quality and research is expensive for them. However, there is nothing like driving a well maintained Mercedes Benz S class!![:D] As a matter of fact, I have a budget set aside specifically for my car so I do not need to get a "loan" to maintain it. But I do take care of it - think of it as a committment. You should actually have the ability to have at least $3000.00 extra after buying an used MB just in case. This way you do not feel like you got scrwd. And plan on spending it![;)]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.