Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ML320 w/101k miles
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I recently had my ML320 year 2000 (115k) at the dealer for some preventative maintenance, spark plug change. About a week later the Car goes in to Limp mode. Had it towed to dealer ($650 later) diagnosis transfercase motor. Replace off I went. Shifting a little strange, then the ugly slip when it tries to go to 4th gear. Since I've had the transmission flushed, new transmission lines, and the diffs done another($650). So far $1300 and the car is worse than when I first took in to the dealer. Took it back the dealer and they say transmission needs to be done ($4300 + tax).

Anyone know where I can get a transmission or could this not be the transmission? I'm afraid to have the trany done, fear is that won't fix the problem.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
20,033 Posts
Replacement of the transfer case motor would have nothing to do with strange shifting as it's completely separate from the transmission. I think your dealer did a poor job of diagnosing your first problem if all they could find wrong was the transfer case servo. It’s not uncommon for them to fail, especially if you don’t ever use low-range, but it would not cause the ECM to kick into limp-mode.

It does sound like you genuinely do have transmission problems, and if you’ve had the fluid flushed and replaced, then a replacement or rebuild is about the only option.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
2001 ML320 w/101k miles
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rodney,
Thanks for the reply. Are there sensors that control the shifting? I'm concerned that replacing the transmission won't resolve the problem. Also, it only slips some of the time and only after 1/2 an hour of driving. Thanks again.
Doug

·
Registered
'05 ML350SE
1,395 Posts
Your problem sounds like a faulty valve body. This is a hydraulic circuit responsible for shifing and it sits within the tranny. There are a number of ball valves within the body and it is possible one or more has become clogged with junk. These units are replaced when faulty.

·
Registered
2001 ML320 w/101k miles
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a ton...is there a fix for this? When I had the tranny flushed they did replace the filter. said no need. what about trans-x? ever used it to free up such junk in the tranny? If not an easy fix, are you savoy on what needs to be done? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
346 Posts
hey rudeney..
are you saying that i should put the car into low range every now and again? even if i dun need it?

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
I had the little valve body replacement thing done 2 times under warranty to fix the late shifting transmission problem. I understand they had to open the transmission and swap out parts. takes about a day at the dealer but apparently it's not uncommon in these cars.

Definitely a fixable thing and worth trying before replacing the entire tranny.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
20,033 Posts
hey rudeney..
are you saying that i should put the car into low range every now and again? even if i dun need it?
ABSOLUTELY! There are three important parts that need to be exercised. Two of them are the shifting fork and the electric servo that activates it. This happens when you shift in and out of low-range, so you could keep these parts in good working order just by a weekly shift from high to low, and back to high while sitting in your driveway. The third part, however, will require driving. That is the low-range gear itself. It is immersed in oil, but since its teeth have no contact in “normal� range, they could get some “glazing� or “sludge� build-up.

The best thing to do is drive a few miles in low-range about once a week. Since we sold our lake house where I had plenty of trails to explore, I have to look for on-road opportunities. I’m “lucky� to have a two-mile stretch of bumper-to-bumper stop-and-go never-over-10mph stretch of driving during my morning commute. I just drive this stretch in low-range at least once a week. Not only do I exercise the transfer case, but I get the added advantage of being able to regulate my speed with nothing but the gas pedal instead of having to ride my brakes the whole time.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
346 Posts
good to know man...
im slightly nervous about using it the first time though....since i dun think that its ever been used.. id just be worried about it getting messed up once i start using it...

gotta search for how to actually engage the low range now heh. thx for the info!

·
Registered
2001 ML320 w/101k miles
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's in a transmission shop (cultler) being looked at...will keep you posted. $600 to drop it...

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
With a Benz Transmission I would not let an independent touch it. Only a dealer. Bet your independent does not even have the correct fluid or even the diagnostic equipment required

·
Registered
SL500, ML320, E320
538 Posts
Thomasda:
It might be helpful if you listed your location in your profile so members of the forum can refer you to a competent shop. It doesn't sound like your dealer's done you any great favors in this case.

Regards-

·
Registered
2001 ML320 w/101k miles
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the responses.

My ML is back on the raod after 7 days in the Cottman Transmission shop. They rebuild the tranny and the tork converter. Totaled $3328.00 including tax. That was $1400 less that the dealer and the dealter uses reman'd trannmissions.

Also the Cottman 2 year warrantee includes parts and labor where the dealer only parts.

Thanks again,
Doug

1 - 13 of 13 Posts