Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started today when I was driving my 16V, when I press the clutch pedal, it makes a whining noise. The more I press and the louder it gets but I'm able to change the gears. Once I let out the clutch all the way the noise stops and basically everytime I press the clutch to up shift or down shift, the whining noise occurs. Please help!

Thank You!
Phillip

·
Registered
1993 190e-2.3
765 Posts
Probably the throw out bearing. Its a sealed bearing thats no doubt a little dry.
Unfortunitly if your going in that far, a complete clutch job might be the ticket.
Could last for years squeaking, but if it starts rumbling/grinding...then you better do something imedeitly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its really loud every time I change gears and I can't ignore it. The good thing is my weekend car. Do you think I could drive it to the shop or have it tow?

Phil

·
Registered
1993 190e-2.3
765 Posts
I'd drive it and take it over when the traffic is light so you can keep it rolling. Sometimes tow truck guys can be rough on cars with lower body panels.

·
Registered
2000 :W220 - 1986 W201: 16v Nam,16v Euro- 2002:SL500 Silver Arrow.2002:Avalanche-
2,259 Posts
Mileage ????????????_____________
Your 16V /Getrag gear box is very reliable and endurance mechanism , I do not suspect any internal problem but it's time for your new clutch and could be pressure plate or throw bearing,Your clutch dish acting like your brake pad when you press to change gear or some time less than half way noise occur but still can shift and gears engaged mean pressure plate does it job , I highly recommended this SACHS clutch kit for all W201( Stay with 9"OD for 16V.) Part cost approx $396.00 - Ask your indy or Trans shop for installation.You still can drive it for a while yet...:D

Sachs Clutch Kit
1986-1987 Mercedes Benz 190E
SACHS CLUTCH KIT -- 9 in. OD x 1-1/8 in. ID disc diameter, 26 teeth.

Clutch dish ( on top) & Pressure plate

16 V/Getrag completed box:

·
Registered
'98 E300, '10 GL350 Bluetec
1,250 Posts
Clutch bearing noises are simple to diagnose; if the noise is there all the time then it is the pilot bearing (as the shaft is turning in it all the time). The throwout bearing (or release bearing) only works when your foot is on the clutch so that is when you will hear the noise. In this case it sounds like the release bearing is gone. If the clutch is still good you can get just the bearing replaced, but as someone has pointed in another post, you have gone this far so you might as well put in a new clutch and be done with it for a long time. Don't forget about a new pilot bearing at the same time, or you may be tearing it down again soon.

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,488 Posts
sil, where are you getting your clutchs at? when i was looking for one for my 16v, the cheapest i could find was $550...

the clutch comes in 2 sizes a 9" specifically for the 16v and a 8.5" for ever other 190e.
while it may cost more in the long run, you "can" install a 8.5" clutch into a 16v and get it back on the road. ....i know because i did and it's still in there for now...but considering i'll probably be pulling my engine for some modifications soon i'm not overly concerned about it

·
Registered
2000 :W220 - 1986 W201: 16v Nam,16v Euro- 2002:SL500 Silver Arrow.2002:Avalanche-
2,259 Posts
Turnpike try this :( R u still service in Iraq or home for Holidays ?)
Sachs kit available @ :Mercedes 190E Alternator - 190E Car Alternator - Buy Mercedes Auto Parts from The Benz Bin!

Sachs Clutch Kit - Organic Disc
SACHS CLUTCH KIT -- 9 in. OD x 1-1/8 in. ID disc diameter, 26 teeth; Does not include flywheel, clutch alignment tool and pilot bushing; Offers increased torque capacity, endurance and high performance stability; Guarantees increased clamp load; 100 percent new production parts built to perform; With 1-year Sach limited warranty.

Fit Note: Type 201 034.
Material: Organic Disc
Free Shipping on Orders Over $50
Availability: In Stock

FITS (Engine/Chassis) SKU PRICE QTY
1986-1987 Mercedes Benz 190E S2KF66001 $396.87

• 1986: 2.3-16; All Engines;
• 1986: 2.3; All Engines;

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turnpike try this :( R u still service in Iraq or home for Holidays ?)
Sachs kit available @ :Mercedes 190E Alternator - 190E Car Alternator - Buy Mercedes Auto Parts from The Benz Bin!

Sachs Clutch Kit - Organic Disc
SACHS CLUTCH KIT -- 9 in. OD x 1-1/8 in. ID disc diameter, 26 teeth; Does not include flywheel, clutch alignment tool and pilot bushing; Offers increased torque capacity, endurance and high performance stability; Guarantees increased clamp load; 100 percent new production parts built to perform; With 1-year Sach limited warranty.

Fit Note: Type 201 034.
Material: Organic Disc
Free Shipping on Orders Over $50
Availability: In Stock

FITS (Engine/Chassis) SKU PRICE QTY
1986-1987 Mercedes Benz 190E S2KF66001 $396.87

• 1986: 2.3-16; All Engines;
• 1986: 2.3; All Engines;

Sil:

So 9' is the way to go but what about the flywheel, clutch alignment tool and pilot bushing. Do you know what the total cost for all parts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
the pilot bushing runs about $5 and the pilot tool you can pick up at a local auto store, make sure you grease the hell out of the pilot bushing or else it will seize to the shaft and destroy your clutch disc should you need to remove it.

flywheel should still be useable unless it's been worn down or youve broken teeth off

thanks for the link, yeah i'm still over here...currently looking like i'll be home for good sometime next november...coming home when all the troops are out of iraq

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
the pilot bushing runs about $5 and the pilot tool you can pick up at a local auto store, make sure you grease the hell out of the pilot bushing or else it will seize to the shaft and destroy your clutch disc should you need to remove it.

flywheel should still be useable unless it's been worn down or youve broken teeth off

thanks for the link, yeah i'm still over here...currently looking like i'll be home for good sometime next November...coming home when all the troops are out of iraq
Yeah..11 months will fly fast just think about your next Thanksgiving dinner..What ever U do over there we all thanks for that..
Bushing and bearing total cost some where @ 25 bucks , flywheel last forever with German steel , we r all need " grease" are we ???????????:D

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
long story short, had a meet for my tranny swap, lots of beer was involved and a few things got ...uh...umm overlooked...yeah thats it... bushing grease is your friend

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To all:

Thank You for your support!

I started my car today and now I could hear the whinning noise and it sound like "it it it it" and when I press on the clutch and it gets louder like my first post so my question is does the throw out bearing spin when the car idle in netural and is that why I could hear the "it it it it" noise.

It goes to the shop Monday!

Thank you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts