Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPP is all I can say, I was awakened this morning to my back lights on in the Mercedes S430. Upon getting into the car to see what was up, I could not push down on the brake pedal, it didn't have anywhere to go. The front and back passenger side of the floor board of our car on the inside is flooded with water. IT HAS BEEN RAINING HERE NON-STOP FOR 3 DAYS!! From that tropical storm. The CAR WON'T START. Last night I noticed some water drip down from the back passenger light, but we looked everywhere, couldn't feel where it would have been coming from and after it dripped, it stopped and there was no more water. Now though, there is a bunch of water in the floor board. Where can it be coming from? Has this ruined our car? IT WON'T START. The radio works, lights work, but no engine start. HEEELLLPPP. What do we need to do? I am calling the insurance company to take care of this, or at least I hope they will. As for the rest, ANY IDEAS???? PLEASE HELP, we need it today for sure!! Thanks so much guys for all your help you have given in the past, BUT WE REALLY NEED YOU NOW!!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
HEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPP is all I can say, I was awakened this morning to my back lights on in the Mercedes S430. Upon getting into the car to see what was up, I could not push down on the brake pedal, it didn't have anywhere to go. The front and back passenger side of the floor board of our car on the inside is flooded with water. IT HAS BEEN RAINING HERE NON-STOP FOR 3 DAYS!! From that tropical storm. The CAR WON'T START. Last night I noticed some water drip down from the back passenger light, but we looked everywhere, couldn't feel where it would have been coming from and after it dripped, it stopped and there was no more water. Now though, there is a bunch of water in the floor board. Where can it be coming from? Has this ruined our car? IT WON'T START. The radio works, lights work, but no engine start. HEEELLLPPP. What do we need to do? I am calling the insurance company to take care of this, or at least I hope they will. As for the rest, ANY IDEAS???? PLEASE HELP, we need it today for sure!! Thanks so much guys for all your help you have given in the past, BUT WE REALLY NEED YOU NOW!!!
Not good, you more than likely have significant SAM and Fuse Box water infiltration. These cars hate water. Let insurance deal with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SO, is it pointless for me to even look for any obstruction? I have been reading about a/c heat air intake well, and the little drain hole up front under the hood, where would those be??? I need to try and do something. Sure hope insurance will take care of it.....ANY IDEAS???

·
Registered
181 Posts
SO, is it pointless for me to even look for any obstruction? I have been reading about a/c heat air intake well, and the little drain hole up front under the hood, where would those be??? I need to try and do something. Sure hope insurance will take care of it.....ANY IDEAS???
Sure, you can check and clear the drain if necessary.

Your car is fixable, needs to dry out and see what happens, Was it submerged in water?

See attached photo - Location hood beneath black mesh grill

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it was not submerged, that is the thing. It has just rained for 3 solid days and we have gotten 6 inches or more. Today the schools are delayed from the heavy rains last night. BUT not submerged in water at all. We drove it last night, all was well, went to bed and was awakened to this. Also, do you know where the a/c heat air intake well is? someone in another thread said to check that area especially if there is water in the front passenger floor board? Thanks for your assistance it is so much appreciated, I feel helpless at the moment, and a little OK alot freaked out. Is the car totaled?? Any ideas on how to get out all the water? Thanks again!! Dawn

·
Registered
181 Posts
No it was not submerged, that is the thing. It has just rained for 3 solid days and we have gotten 6 inches or more. Today the schools are delayed from the heavy rains last night. BUT not submerged in water at all. We drove it last night, all was well, went to bed and was awakened to this. Also, do you know where the a/c heat air intake well is? someone in another thread said to check that area especially if there is water in the front passenger floor board? Thanks for your assistance it is so much appreciated, I feel helpless at the moment, and a little OK alot freaked out. Is the car totaled?? Any ideas on how to get out all the water? Thanks again!! Dawn
No your car is not totaled, Check that drain, it is located on the upper portion of the hood passenger side. Shine a flashlight in the grate if you see water, cut up a wire coat hanger and clear the debris, it will drain. Your situation is not unheard of, and in the large majority of cases is covered by insurance. Relax, it is fixable, yes troubling, but not catastrophic!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, thanks so much. But, the other drain that I keep hearing about is the A/C heat air intake well, do you know where that one is? they say it could be that as it is in the front seat as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gotta get ready for work....lucky me, no car to take.....anyway, please keep up the posting, your help is so very much appreciated. I will constantly check it today obviously and reply when I can. thanks for everything. Dawn

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Insurance company job for sure. It happens a lot here in southern china with all the storms we get. Under the passengers seat is a sam (signal acquisition module) and they can be expensive.

But the real problem lies under the rear seat (passengers side) there is a lot of electronic equipment under there including a fuse/relay box.

Now go to the rear passengers side footwell and you will see a floor light, simply pull this out and behind you will see all the fuses, test them all for starters.

We make a packet out of repairing flooded Benz, at the insureres expence so dont panic.:thumbsup:

·
52,804 Posts
As an after thought, if you are going to deal through the insurance company, dont drain any water or do any repairs as they may want to see the car first or may want to have it towed to a selected workshop for estimate;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So don't drain the water? They are saying it could be Friday before an Insurance adjuster comes out to us, more rain expected, what to do??? Does anyone know the prices we are looking at?? What all is under that fuse box, what all does it control??? Pretty scary stuff. So, everyone says to check the intake hole, will do that. Any other ideas? Sure is scary, feel helpless when you don't know what is happening. We had to unplug the battery as we could not get the back lights to go off at all. They would not go off, had no other choice. Why would water have been dripping out of the light on the back passenger side??? Any ideas from anyone? The one side of the light will not light now, the side it was leaking from. We put tarps over the car as we are trying to minimize the amount of water that gets in there. If it dries out will it start? Anyone know what all gets messed up with this issue? Eric, you say you make a packet out of insurance companies with this issue of flooding?? what do you mean?? thanks for all your ideas and such, any others.?? Thanks again. Dawn

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,872 Posts
Dawn, check your e-mail and your PM. I provided most of the answers early this morning, in response to your PM; you may not have seen them - and also a photo of where to find the A/C intake well, which you asked about.

The water in the well is perhaps the best evidence that you did not drive through flooded streets. With electronics, it is best not to try to use them until they are dried out (or more likely, replaced, in your case). If your policy calls for it, request your insurance provide you with a rental car. Unless the electronics are removed, dried, and treated professionally, they are not likely to work - and joints are even more likely to corrode and malfunction than before. The car will likely not start without removal, drying, treatment, and replacement of damaged components (or, more likely, just replacement with new parts).

As I told you in PM, you're looking at about $1000 per SAM; two or three are likely damaged (one under each front seat, one under passenger seat) plus possible fuse box damage. To properly dry out your car, the right front and rear seats will require removal, and a cable channel from front to rear will have to be accessed. All that was in the link I gave you at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1232204-2000-430-water-car.html I have also added the photo of the A/C intake well that I sent you to that link.

Because you disconnected the battery, some things may not operate as you expect after the repairs are done. A good shop would take care of these for you, but in case they miss something see post #14 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1302190-ive-had-post2216730.html.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
YOU ARE AN AMAZING HELP, THANK YOU SO VERY VERY MUCH!! We have called the insurance company, just waiting on the adjuster, unfortunately it might be friday before they get here......will keep you posted as to what happened, thanks for the other thread info too!! It is definitely useful information and I have saved it in my Merc Folder info. YOUR AWESOME!! Got the emails too, thanks for the pic, that was perfect. Thanks again and I will keep you posted!! Dawn

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,872 Posts
Because this thread covers the "water in the car" topic so well (lots of good stuff here from everyone), I decided to add the photo of the A/C intake well here too; between that and rccmerc's photo of the actual drain hole, one should be able to find it. The drain tube is connected to the hole, on the bottom side of the well. You can feel it by reaching under the well from the outside.

The hole in my '05 is a bit further left than the one was in my '00, if memory serves.

Also: Water coming from any lights in your headliner, front or rear, is likely entering where the headliner meets the sunroof well. Water will drain inside the headliner, and collect in the light fixtures. This happens because of blockage of the two drain holes located at each front corner of the well, beyond the track. These are visible with the sunroof retracted. If you can't open your sunroof (you may not be able to), be sure to mention the water in the light problem to your dealer. I did not see, and could not access, any drain holes at the rear of the sunroof of my W220.

You may want to check the integrity of the seals - if too badly deteriorated, they could allow water to collect too fast for the drains to handle it. A little silicone spray on the seals every 6 months to a year (also your door, window, trunk, and engine compartment seals) can help preserve them.

Sorry about all the dust in my engine compartment - nearby road construction has been kicking it up for about 3 months. Time to wash it, and also apply that silicone spray I was talking about!

Attachments

·
52,804 Posts
Because this thread covers the "water in the car" topic so well (lots of good stuff here from everyone), I decided to add the photo of the A/C intake well here too, between that and rccmerc's photo of the actual drain hole, one should be able to find it. The drain tube is connected to the hole, on the bottom side of the well. You can feel it by reaching under the well from the outside.

The hole in my '05 is a bit further left than the one was in my '00, if memory serves.

Also: Water coming from any lights in your headliner, front or rear, is likely entering where the headliner meets the sunroof well. Water will drain inside the headliner, and collect in the light fixtures. This happens because of blockage of the two drain holes located at each front corner of the well, beyond the track. These are visible with the sunroof retracted. If you can't open your sunroof (you may not be able to), be sure to mention the water in the light problem to your dealer. I did not see, and could not access, any drain holes at the rear of the sunroof of my W220.

You may want to check the integrity of the seals - if too badly deteriorated, they could allow water to collect too fast for the drains to handle it. A little silicone spray on the seals every 6 months to a year (also your door, window, trunk, and engine compartment seals) can help preserve them.

Sorry about all the dust in my engine compartment - nearby road construction has been kicking it up for about 3 months. Time to wash it, and also apply that silicone spray I was talking about!
Yes this is a good thread and usefull for 220 owners to read. The drain holes for the sun roof are at the front of the sun roof, left and right. there are no drain holes at the rear.

The sun roof drains can block, but rarely. Still its a good point to make:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks so much for the information. Still waiting on the adjuster.....so worried about what is happening to the car while they take so long to get here. As for the sunroof, it must be blocked as I had water leaking from the light rear passenger light. Will check that out too, but right now no power to the car as we disconnected the battery. As for the auxilliary power supply that was mentioned that you could disconnect instead of the battery, where would we find that on our 01 S430??

Also, what is your recommendation on keeping the car, or taking a hit and trading it in? Because what else may get affected by this issue besides the SAMS??

Thanks again for all your help and much much useful information!! Dawn

·
52,804 Posts
Thanks so much for the information. Still waiting on the adjuster.....so worried about what is happening to the car while they take so long to get here. As for the sunroof, it must be blocked as I had water leaking from the light rear passenger light. Will check that out too, but right now no power to the car as we disconnected the battery. As for the auxilliary power supply that was mentioned that you could disconnect instead of the battery, where would we find that on our 01 S430??

Also, what is your recommendation on keeping the car, or taking a hit and trading it in? Because what else may get affected by this issue besides the SAMS??

Thanks again for all your help and much much useful information!! Dawn
Skylaw gave you good info so dont panic. It depends now on how the insurance company deals with it, your country is different from mine. But do not mention what was said on this forum.

For instance, if you said a drain may be blocked, they can say you did not have the car serviced properly. So play dumb and let them ask the questions:thumbsup:The story is (i dont know anything) it rained a lot and this happened:thumbsup:

On the question of keeping the car, i would say it all depends on which parts the insurance company will agree to change, so its too early to say.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,872 Posts
SETTLEMENT IN CLASS ACTION ON THIS PROBLEM

chibenz was good enough to post this concerning the problem: Marsikyan, et al. v. Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC Class Action Settlement - Home Page

For current, and in some cases, past, owners of W220 and W215 vehicles affected in the past or potentially affected in the future by flooding of the air conditioning intake wells in front of the windshield, there has been a settlement of a class action brought in California, but applying across the U.S. See http://www.reedvalvesettlement.com/ for information, damage claim forms, and a notification letter that should be printed and kept with your manuals to ensure that proper preventive inspections are done during "A" and "B" service. The deadline to file a claim for damages, if you qualify, will be Sept 16, 2010.

The flooding often damaged Signal Acquisition Modules (SAMs) located under the seats that affected the operation of switches and controls.

Thanks, chibenz

·
Registered
MB CL500(C215);SL55(R129), SL63(R230)
469 Posts
Interesting. In the legacy WIS System was a document how to install a emergency drain in the airbox. This document was removed a while ago :crybaby2:
Now i think i know why...

Cheers, Frank

chibenz was good enough to post this concerning the problem: Marsikyan, et al. v. Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC Class Action Settlement - Home Page

For current, and in some cases, past, owners of W220 and W215 vehicles affected in the past or potentially affected in the future by flooding of the air conditioning intake wells in front of the windshield, there has been a settlement of a class action brought in California, but applying across the U.S. See Marsikyan, et al. v. Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC Class Action Settlement - Home Page for information, damage claim forms, and a notification letter that should be printed and kept with your manuals to ensure that proper preventive inspections are done during "A" and "B" service. The deadline to file a claim for damages, if you qualify, will be Sept 16, 2010.

The flooding often damaged Signal Acquisition Modules (SAMs) located under the seats that affected the operation of switches and controls.

Thanks, chibenz

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,507 Posts
does anyone have the procedure on adding the second drain? Apparently its now an official MB DTB

DTB P-B-83.10/75

1 - 20 of 21 Posts