Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CLK55 AMG Cabriolet
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!!

Thanks to everyone that's posted here...I've enjoyed reading and learning about these awesome cars!! I've searched the threads and have a much better understanding of the soft top operation but I have a question and a request...

My '05 CLK55 had an issue where the top would unlock from the windshield but not lift up and go down into the trunk. I checked the main lift cylinders and the left was leaking so I pulled all seven and sent them to Klaus for rebuilding. (Great company to deal with for sure!!) Reinstalled them this weekend and I'm still having the same issue where it unlocks from the windshield but does not lift. I can hear the pump running and if I lift the top up manually to a 40 degree angle or so it will take over and pull the top the rest of way and store it in the trunk as normal. Closing the top works fine.

My question is does anyone think it could be a micro-switch causing the issue? The reason I ask is when I push on the two micro-switches on the windshield, I can hear a noticeable clicking from the passenger side switch but I hear nothing from the driver side. Can someone please check their car to see if they hear a clicking from both switches when pressing down on them? I'm wondering if the driver switch is bad, maybe the computer is not telling the pump to pressurize the main lift cylinders enough to lift the top off the windshield??? If that's not the problem then from my readings of the other threads, the pump may be too weak to pressurize the lift cylinders? I don't mind rebuilding the pump but I'd hate to do it and still have the same problem.

I sent an email to Klaus today to get his opinion and he responded very quickly on a Sunday. He's not sure and it's tough to diagnose from the simple info I provided and that's why I'm asking here. Heck, I didn't expect to discuss with him until I call him on Monday. Excellent customer service and kudos to Klaus!

Any thoughts! Any help is very much appreciated!!

Thanks!
Steve

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,235 Posts
Why not unplug the wiring harness from the microswitch and then use a multimeter to test it?

·
Registered
2005 CLK55 AMG Cabriolet
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not unplug the wiring harness from the microswitch and then use a multimeter to test it?
I did that today Rodney and all the switches I tested were good. I tested the two at the windshield and the bow switches and all were fine. I didn't test the switches on for the compartment cover since that was working fine.

So I would assume that the pump is the issue...not generating enough pressure to lift the roof off the windshield. But before I pull it and send to Klaus, I'll take the car to an indy to check for codes with the Star device.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,235 Posts
I would suspect the pump, especially if it's still running. Usually if its a microswitch not reporting correctly, the pump stops. Also, check battery voltage - low voltage can prevent the soft top from opening.

·
Registered
2004 & 2005 Mercedes Benz CLK 55 AMG, 2014 GLK 350
46 Posts
Hi Steve, I'm having similar issues with my Soft Top not retracting back into the trunk, would you mind sharing how you tested your micro switch?

·
Registered
2004 & 2005 Mercedes Benz CLK 55 AMG, 2014 GLK 350
46 Posts
I forgot to mention that I just replaced my Hydraulic pump rebuild at Top Hydraulics.

My issue as of today is, the top will open if I assist by pushing it about 40 - 45 Degrees and it will catch and retract correctly. I would suspect that this may not be a pump pressurization issue, since this is a new pump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts