Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
mercedes S500l
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one, i was hoping someone might be able to help...

So i have a 99 mercedes s500l w220. basicly what happened is ive been driving the car with no issues until 1 day last week, when i had to pick my sister up from town. so i get in the car start it up, fire up the seat heater (its been reaaly cold here) put it in reverse and back out off the drive, then as i drive down the curb the rear drivers side wheel hit the road with a slam. i was alarmed but though my tire just needed pumping up, so i carried on my short journey and picked my sister up.
then on the way back home the ride feels very harsh, and i was still assuming a deflated tire, but when i get home i discovery that the rear suspension just on the drivers side had dropped almost to the tyre.

i tried raising the car with dashboard button and it raises all the corners execept for the one which had dropped. so what im asking is, is this 100% a blown strut or could it be somthing else like the valve block on the compressor or a stuck valve some where or a leak? i realy dont want to take it to a garage because of bad past experience and the huge bills i will no doubt face, and i dont want to by a strut if its not that, moneys tight right now.

any input or advice any one can give i will be very very grateful for. thanks so much

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,979 Posts
We can only guess, without diagnostics - but here is my guess.

If your airmatic pump now runs all the time, you have a leak in the low strut or a line to it, and must replace either the strut or the line.

If your airmatic pump does not run all the time, it is likely a valve block problem.

Personally, I would have it diagnosed rather than guessing. The parts can be expensive - and more if you guess wrong.

·
Registered
mercedes S500l
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks alot Skylaw, my pump does not run all the time thats what was confusing me, i thought if there was a leak the compressor would run overtime. i will get it hooked up to DAS as soon as possible and report back with my findings. thanks again friend.

update:
ok so i had the car on star diag and it showed a couple of faults in the airmatic, but it suggested if there had been extreme temp differences (which there has been here) to reset them and see if they return. so i did this and went for lunch. when the car was scanned again a while later (after the engine had been running) there were no fault codes shown, is this because the car needs to be driven for them to return? the rear corner is still sitting on the tire just no fault code appearing??

also i havnt had the red airmatic warning either, does this only come up if the whole car sinks to the ground? thanks everyone for your help!

·
Registered
200 S500 W/144K miles
85 Posts
Wow I just have this same problem from 2 days ago. It looks like the front drivers also but mainly the back. Weird cars

1 - 4 of 4 Posts