Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CLK350
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CLK350 convertible. Whenever I try to open the top, it works until the back trunk is supposed to go down and lock into place when the entire soft top is in the trunk. Basically what happens is, it stays open and gives me the error message “please close trunk partition.” As you can see in the picture, it stays open and will not close. The other picture is the error message I get on the screen. I just has my soft top repaired and got it back three days ago. This morning was the first time I tried to open the top after the repair. The piece in the trunk is in the open position. What’s the issue here? Is there a way to get it to work?

Attachments

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
1,079 Posts
Hi there, the part that might be failing is a sensor on the left hand side in the boot - when you pull out the trunk partition fully you should be able to hear a "click" when the switch activates, and even if it clicks it may still disengage when the top starts moving. Have a look here https://www.justanswer.com/mercedes/6g3bc-mercedes-benz-clk320-conv-2005-clk-320-conv-can-t.html for a pic, what I did in mine when this happened is glued a small piece of plastic on top of the sensor so that it's slightly extended towards the partition - this way it doesn't disengage with every bump or rattle.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,991 Posts
You need to replace the gas charged Lift-O-Mat struts on partition cover. They should hold the partition very tightly in the closed (rearward) position. Assuming you are in the USA, they can be bought for about $10 each. See this thread for more details:

·
Registered
2006 CLK 350 Convertible
620 Posts
I have a CLK350 convertible. Whenever I try to open the top, it works until the back trunk is supposed to go down and lock into place when the entire soft top is in the trunk. Basically what happens is, it stays open and gives me the error message “please close trunk partition.” As you can see in the picture, it stays open and will not close. The other picture is the error message I get on the screen. I just has my soft top repaired and got it back three days ago. This morning was the first time I tried to open the top after the repair. The piece in the trunk is in the open position. What’s the issue here? Is there a way to get it to work?
Your trunk partition is not seated against the microswitch in its rearward position. You may need new gas filled shocks that hode the partition firm in both the forward position and the rearward partition. As a fix you can attach a bungee cord to hold it in the rearward position up against the switch. There are several places on line you can purchase the shocks for about $15 each.

·
Registered
2007 CLK350 cab
149 Posts
Happen to me, I replaced the gas shocks and everything was good after. What I did at first was, I used a zip tie to hold the switch activated until I changed the gas shocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah.. this part is crap in my opinion.. I've had it replaced once, and it still has issues. I typically go and reset it (pull it closed again), but have been tempted to just zip tie the damn thing as it's rarely pushed forward.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts