Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I think I clearly have a transmission gasket leak on the pan.

OK, fine, willing to deal with that - not that hard of a job.

Album link:

https://imgur.com/a/ZHwl4

But, what about the bell housing, how the heck is there oil on there?

Things now running through my mind:

• Could be valve cover gasket and thus engine oil coming from above
  • Could still be the transmission pan, but wind blowing fluid onto the bell housing
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
20 Posts
A quick rummage from above across the back of the camcover will confirm/rule out a leaky camcover seal.

If dry, then next most likely culprit is the rear crank seal.

Tranny fluid won't be blown forwards...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A quick rummage from above across the back of the camcover will confirm/rule out a leaky camcover seal.

If dry, then next most likely culprit is the rear crank seal.

Tranny fluid won't be blown forwards...
Quick rummage? Can you elaborate? Do you mean feel with my hand?

If i do the tranny pan job and that isnt it... I dont think i can pull engine or tranny for rear main seal job.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Apologies, yes. Running your hand, or a clean cloth across the rear face of the camcover should readily identify any leak from the seal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apologies, yes. Running your hand, or a clean cloth across the rear face of the camcover should readily identify any leak from the seal.
Thanks Al.

By chance do you know torque specs on the tranny pan and valve covers in case i do both jobs?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Before removing anything I would power wash the area and go for a "longish" drive. (Not too long, about 20 km should do it)

Then have another look using a good LED flashlight. (bright white light works the best for tranny fluid)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks Al.

By chance do you know torque specs on the tranny pan and valve covers in case i do both jobs?

Cam cover bolts are 9Nm or 7lb ft.

Hopefully someone else will be able to confirm the pan torque as I don't have them...

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
I think the pan bolts are ~ 8 NM. Just tighten very slowly and in a cross pattern using a very short arm ratchet to avoid over tightening it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you pull the trans pan make sure you have a new gasket. Wipe the pan gasket area clean, Check for leaks.

If found, before removing pan check tightness of pan bolts. Back off each bolt, re-tighten to spec. Do not over tighten.

If valve cover is leaking it usually falls on the exhaust manifold and smokes-smells. What color and where on the bell housing is the oil?

·
Registered
651 Posts
If you feel really brave, go tighten transmission pan bolts into the aluminum without a "proper torque wrench"....yes I was being sarcastic e.g. be sure to have the proper torque wrench

Seth

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
If you feel really brave, go tighten transmission pan bolts into the aluminum without a "proper torque wrench"....yes I was being sarcastic e.g. be sure to have the proper torque wrench

Seth
I honestly do it by feel and without torque wrench (I do have 2 TW) but maybe that's because I have done it several times on each one of my cars (W201/124/140/210) and know how tight it should be.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
above is for the pan gasket and filter. For whatever reason, I can't edit post #12 to add that detail.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
mighty_m120
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing