Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all - I am very close to purchasing either '98 CLK320 or '99 320 or '99 430 (all 35-50K mile range) Some say Mercedes are a problem maintenance-wise (failures and routine maintenance costs). My alternative is a BMW 528i. Since I like both, my thought is to go with the one which is thought to be less expensive to maintain. Pls share your thoughts. Thanks!

·
Registered
CLK 55
7 Posts
hi all - I am very close to purchasing either '98 CLK320 or '99 320 or '99 430 (all 35-50K mile range) Some say Mercedes are a problem maintenance-wise (failures and routine maintenance costs). My alternative is a BMW 528i. Since I like both, my thought is to go with the one which is thought to be less expensive to maintain. Pls share your thoughts. Thanks!
I have a BMW 540 and a MB CLK 55 so I am familiar with both families of cars. I have worked on and driven the MB CLK 320 - 430 - 55 and BMW 528 - 530 - 540.
IMO, BMWs and MBs cost more to maintain than the most cars but there is not much of a difference in reliablity between the two. Personally, I would choose the CLK 430 among the cars mentioned. I rarely have more than 1 other person in my car and I appreciate torque / HP. I also have a '67 427 tripower Corvette so I am biased towards quick cars. On the other hand, if you have 2 or more people riding with you on a regular basis, the BMW 528 would be my choice. Now if you want the room for multiple passengers and a V8 drop me a line. I'm thinking about another project car and may sell my 540.
Good luck,
DC

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gents - the $500 service bills are for routine maint, I assume. How often does the MB nee...

Gents - how much does "routine maint" on the CLK run? is it every 30K or so (couple years)? If so, that sounds very similar to BMW type maint dollars, as DC says. On the 430, I've looked at them side-by-side. The 430 obviously looks better with the AMG kit but here's my deal. I can get '98 320 with under 50K for $26K or '99 430 with under 40K for $33K. I was planning on getting Tire Rack to ship the 17" AMGs w/tires for $1700 if I go with the 320. I'm also satisfied with the power of the 320, so the V8 doesn't help out a lot...in fact, I assume the gas mileage is much worse, right? So, it all boils down to if I feel the 10K less miles, 1 yr newer and the ground effects are worth $5300...i'm still working on that one. Thanks so much for your replies...it really helps me in my decision!

·
Registered
-06' CLS500 Lorinser-08'-MC Design Whips Project SL -06' Land Rover-
419 Posts
430 vs 320

I would definitely go with a 430 over the 320. I drove both cars before purchasing and when I looked and drove the car, it felt like two different cars besides the kit and wheels. For the money you are spending between the wheels and optional AMG kit, you are better off having the real thing with the factory wheels and factory kit.

Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First test drive of a 430 yesterday...nice!

I now know that $5300 IS worth it. You are correct, they are two different cars. What a diff a couple of cylinders make. The more I look, the sweeter the AMG kit looks on the 430. I just have to figure out how to get the extra $$$ to pay for it now!

One more thing, for you used car buyers out there, did you guys purchase extended warranties? Do you think it's worth it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
-06' CLS500 Lorinser-08'-MC Design Whips Project SL -06' Land Rover-
419 Posts
The cars you are looking at have vey low mileage

I didn't buy it but I should have. My car is a 99' and the steering linkeage has to be changed and it costs me $600 to fix with labor. The extended plan would have covered it for 3 years and it was $1200..

Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as i'm sure you've heard before...

your car is ridiculously sweet...i just looked at your gallery...what is the name of the color? it's factory paint, right? Does your car have hi miles? It's this type of thing that I'm afraid of with a Benz...I don't want to drop $500-$600 per failure and have the failures occur every 6mos. I understand that things happen, though.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Ill sale you a 99 CLK 430, Black on Gray, K-2 K-3 package, phone, sun shade, auto wipers...

Ill sale you a 99 CLK 430, Black on Gray, K-2 K-3 package, phone, sun shade, auto wipers, cd changer, 19 Chrome CL wheels, new tires, eisenhaus race exhaust, H&R springs, for $36,500.

Picts here.

http://community.webshots.com/album/30433619mIIXdedPYk

http://community.webshots.com/album/31313531njTnbAnyFg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts