Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes CLK 430
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that this might not sound important to you, but it's VERY important to myself. I bought a 2000 CLK-430 closing on one year now. As soon as I got the car, I started looking around for a "Coffee Tumbler" that would fit my cup holder. As of now I have had absolutely no luck at all. So I'm turning to you gentlemen to hopefully help me out.....

Thank You.

·
Registered
92 190e 2.6 Sportline, 2005 clk55
1,197 Posts
I would say don’t bother. The cup holder sucks and if you spill coffee in the shifter area you will not be happy with the results.

·
Registered
1999 CLK430 1988 Landcruiser
24 Posts
I have a 99...not sure if you have the same pop up cup holder or not...I use this in the small can size cup holder that is left after the other one swings out...works perfectly!! Nice snug fit. If you can't read the picture, it says Trudeau on it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes CLK 430
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rayclk,
It that fits in your CLK, it'll fit on mine......Do you remember where you picked that tumbler?? And the dimensions of my cup holder is 2 1/2 in. No larger that that because it will not fit.....

Thank You.

·
Registered
99CLK320
1,480 Posts
I totally agree w/insame1. pull the the cup holder straight up and it will come out quite easily and you will have a much larger compartment to use with any size mug AND, you will drastically decrease the risk of spilling a drink. that cup holder will not support that mug pictured if you have to hit the brakes quickly or turn a corner and forgot that the mug was there. REALLY!{;O)

·
Registered
Mercedes CLK 430
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I understand the "Second" cup holder I can use. The only issue I have with that is, it has a lot of moving around with the cup placed in it. It doesn't "Grasp" the Tumbler at all. Plus the fact the cup will be sitting Higher. Thus any type of sudden stops, or I need to swerve very quickly. I have coffee all over the place. That means I spend 160.00 dollars for a New Detail. I'm not going to place any type of cup in that extended cup holder.....

·
Registered
92 190e 2.6 Sportline, 2005 clk55
1,197 Posts
Thus any type of sudden stops, or I need to swerve very quickly. I have coffee all over the place. That means I spend 160.00 dollars for a New Detail. I'm not going to place any type of cup in that extended cup holder.....
$160 if you dont spill it in the shifter area and have to buy a new tcu and get your car towed to fix it.

·
Registered
Mercedes CLK 430
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please, when the Tumbler is in the main cup holder, it would take a Very Violent accident to get it to spill.....Come on, are you serious??

·
Registered
1999 CLK430 1988 Landcruiser
24 Posts
Hey, mine is just under 2.5" diameter on the bottom...not even a full 16th short. The rubber grip dips into the cup holder about 2" then snugs up. I guess there's a really fine taper to it. Definitely not coming out of the holder though. You would probably need to flip the car to do so, and then you'll have a lot more to worry about than spilling coffee! I'll check with the boss to see where the one I have came from. You may want to send the manufacturer an email with the first pic I posted to see if they can help you out. Another option would be to head to a store that sells a variety of tumblers (like bed bath and beyond) and see if you can test them out before you buy one...bring in a tape measure to find the ones that are close, and get the manager to follow you outside.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes CLK 430
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, I have done ALL the searching for Tumblers that would fit my car and I always cam up nil. So if you could find the "Tumblers" that I need that fit in your car, it would help me out TREMENDOUSLY!!!

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430
304 Posts
My cup holder doesn't stay put. If I push the cup forward at all it torques it right off the clips.

I usually just leave it on the floor in the back and put the coffee mug right in the cavity. Seems a lot sturdier to me.

Maybe my clips are worn? Or maybe it needs some extra glue? I have no idea, not worth much hassle to me.

·
Registered
R230 SL350 Presnt, Past - W208 CLK230K 2000, W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
1,470 Posts
Guys, STOP STOP..... theres an easy solution here..... !! I have a range of coffee tumblers I use in my car with no issues, and even a ceramic coffee cup fits well. All you have to do is just remove the cup holder, its function is not worth having, plus you cup will sit out and higher which is only time before you knock it in your shifter by catching it on your arm. Just remove the holder and use the empty plastic bucket, the size is perfect and works great as it sits lower. !

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes CLK 430
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A1EK,
I just read over your suggestion...GREAT Idea, I think I just might do that. 2 Questions. 1. By removing the "Interior" cup holder, do you need to remove the "Lid" to close over it when your not using it?? 2. I was looking at your Car...Looks Fantastic. I see that you have "Modified" the interior a bit. How much did that cost you??

·
Registered
R230 SL350 Presnt, Past - W208 CLK230K 2000, W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
1,470 Posts
A1EK,
I just read over your suggestion...GREAT Idea, I think I just might do that. 2 Questions. 1. By removing the "Interior" cup holder, do you need to remove the "Lid" to close over it when your not using it?? 2. I was looking at your Car...Looks Fantastic. I see that you have "Modified" the interior a bit. How much did that cost you??
No you still have the lovely wooden flip cover to hide the cup holder hole. When I got my car I didn't get the fancy holder that you have and I have seen posts before where it seems to give more issues then its worth. I think you can just lift the holder out and then you should have a plastic empty holder you can lift out to clean once in a while. (If you want photo's ill show you). But seriously my cup sits nice and low and does not interfere with the shifter or could be knocked accidently to the shifter. Try it, you can always put the holder back if you dont like it.!

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430
304 Posts
No you still have the lovely wooden flip cover to hide the cup holder hole. When I got my car I didn't get the fancy holder that you have and I have seen posts before where it seems to give more issues then its worth. I think you can just lift the holder out and then you should have a plastic empty holder you can lift out to clean once in a while. (If you want photo's ill show you). But seriously my cup sits nice and low and does not interfere with the shifter or could be knocked accidently to the shifter. Try it, you can always put the holder back if you dont like it.!

Totally agree with you, except for the last part of the quote that I put in red. I removed my cup holder to clean it, the original owner had let it get gunked up enough such that it wouldn't flip open.

Now if I put it back in (which I rarely do) it doesn't like to stay in place. The clips just don't latch properly. If I wanted it properly I'd have to add some adhesive or maybe rework the plastic a bit, but since I prefer it out anyway no big deal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts