Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 W210 E55 AMG, Silver/Black - Stock
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: Added the repaired system sensor values next to failed compressor values for help in diagnosis.

AC was working OK for a good while, then seemed to get weak a few days ago, then this morning musty smell in car when climate control came on and no AC.

I know how to do a lot of stuff on cars but AC always leaves me bewildered. I read up on the sensors and DTC's and here they are:

Compressor Failed / Compressor Repaired - System Good

1-87 / 93 Inside Temp
2-109 / 145 Outside Temp
3-91 / 60 Left Core Temp
4-87 / 57 Right Core Temp
5-94 / 53 Evaporator Core Temp
6-190 / 197 Coolant Temp
7-11 / 17 Refrigerant Pressure
8-114 / 141 Refrigerant Temp

DTC's (no DTC's after clear and repair)

Eb1's
227 Outside Temp Sensor (014)
234 Sun Sensor (B32)
235 Emmissions Sensor (B31)
416 Coolant Circ Pump (M13)
FF

System had the hissing sound for while then stopped working. Right side would start to blow a little cold, then warm just like the driver side.

Just tried to add refrigerant and it wouldn't go in for some reason.

Pressure gauge read 65PSI (4.5bar) with AC on max and warm air coming out. Curious how the sensor reading was 11.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
I am no God but a fellow American (from New York by the way) passing by.

Wow! For the first time I can not understand a reading, therefore I want you to do the following to establish a baseline for the readings:

Put your Passenger and driver side temp to LOW and run your car for 20 min and then get all the values form 1 to 41 ... I need them all. Get the DTC's again and post. Of course I have some idea of what is wrong but need to be sure considering the condition. Please post the values under the condition mentioned above and I am more than happy to help and what you should address depends on your area of living.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
The diagnostics already told the problem, "416 Coolant Circ Pump (M13)."
Isn't that an error that needs attention?

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
No .... smell "in the car" represents leaks in the evaporator (initial diagnoses), hissing represents low ref (which goes hand to hand with evaporator), the pump used only for heating and serves only when you adjust your temp from low to higher temp ...

Thats why I asked for additional info.

After the readings it should be so much easier to make sense and make a determination of what needs to be done for the best economical return considering the area of living, age, mileage ...

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Eagleone and mbvis. In LA right now we are in a heatwave and I needed to have my car fixed this weekend, I took it to my trusty general inde who is very familiar with Mercedes and is very trustworthy.

They called within 30 minutes of drop off and said the compressor had completely come apart, metal debris was scattered. They always invite me to come down to see things like this and every time I have in the past, they turn out to be right. So I trust them. $1100 for a new Denso compressor charged up with 12 month warranty out the door.

Ouch.

That being said, I agree with both of you on the other error codes, particularly M13 and the smell.

Do these error codes mean for sure that a sensor or device has failed? For example, should I plan on replacing my sun sensor, outside temp sensor and emission sensor?

I cleared the codes and will run the checks again once I get the car back- expected today.

Edit: I just looked up the factory est service hours to rem and repl the evap cor. Holy crap. 15 hours. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
Seriously OUCH!

The readings that you initially had could not possibly lead to an intelligent diagnoses. That's why I asked engine to be running for 20 min to be able to look closely for few things that I explained. Compressor was also one of them since your high readings on the low side was not a good sign.

Anyways here are few suggestions:

1- Regarding the possible evaporator leak. I am one of those that sincerely against using sealants in AC system and need to see that leak is fixed. In your case since it maybe a very slow evaporator/connection leak, I suggest you ask your mechanic to add sealant to the system before re-charging your AC. Maybe saves you a lot of trouble and money.

2- For now delete the fault codes. If they come back in a week, ignore the sun sensor and emission sensor errors (will not effect your AC system). But its nice to know the outside temp and is part the AC system. The outside temp sensor seating on the front bumper and the head (needle like) sticking out of the bumper. Check the connection to it since they rarely fail but connections gets dirty.

3- Regarding your pump, its a little pump that circulates the coolant into the cores. So if it is not working may effect your dash module performance in terms of adjusting the high/low temp adjustments / heater. First check the connections to it, if not solved, try to find something on-line or buy at salvage yard. It is normally expensive that little pump. Its easy to change you can do it yourself in 20 min.

Take care.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
The times I have had a compressor fail, Benz or otherwise, there always has been some typ of musty smell.

I would not over react to that to come to conclusion of a evap leak.

Your indie at $1000 was legitimately better than $1400 at the dealer - due to the situational timing you did not have opportunity to scour for your own carry-in parts.

There is a difference between diligent shop effort and/or DIY - a good shop/dealer flushes and dries the system thoroughtly for example - DIY by and large do compressor replacement and call it a day.

Glad you were able to have it handled by someone you have confirdence in.

Several yeas ago I went to evac/fill every two years as preventaitve, and since that time I have not had another compressor failure on any of my MB's.

Keep the faith !

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
1,691 Posts
I'm still curious how he got a high side reading of 11 bar if the compressor wasn't working.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
I am scratching my head about that too ... So much could be done over the net and sometimes leaves you with unsolved puzzles, unfortunately.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again all. Got the car back yesterday. The compressor inner shaft apparently tore apart. The mech flushed the system thoroughly as he found metal bits, installed a new compressor and dryer and I am cool again.

I will definitely evac and replace every two years.

I am also curious about those other sensors so I will likely want to repair the system back to no codes. I will rerun the data and start a new thread.

Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts