Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 S500 long
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 04 S500 had no CD cassette in the CD Stacker when I got it. I have ordered one but in the meantime...
...I have read that the DVD player/navi system will play MP3 files.
I have burned my MP3 collection onto a DVD but it wouldn't play.
I then tried burning a CD with MP3 files. Alas no joy with this either.
(The COMAND unit doesn't like my burned CDs either but plays original CDs well.)
Can anyone help with some advice.

My wide screen COMAND unit has CD and CD stacker select ability.
How can I tell if my unit is a D2B or MOST unit?

·
Registered
My Benz: 04 S430
1,219 Posts
My 04 S500 had no CD cassette in the CD Stacker when I got it. I have ordered one but in the meantime...
...I have read that the DVD player/navi system will play MP3 files.
I have burned my MP3 collection onto a DVD but it wouldn't play.
I then tried burning a CD with MP3 files. Alas no joy with this either.
(The COMAND unit doesn't like my burned CDs either but plays original CDs well.)
Can anyone help with some advice.

My wide screen COMAND unit has CD and CD stacker select ability.
How can I tell if my unit is a D2B or MOST unit?
The US versions of command will play DVD mp3's since 2004. you must use the slot behind the screen not the nav player.

In order for it to work you can not have more than 999 file and folders in any combination.
It usually takes 3 to 4 minutes for the disc to load initially so be patient.

Yes your car is MOST. That started in 2004 as well.

·
Registered
2004 S500 long
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MP3 continued...

Thanks for the reply:)

In order for it to work you can not have more than 999 file and folders in any combination.
It usually takes 3 to 4 minutes for the disc to load initially so be patient.
I have only about 700 MP3 files on the DVD disc.
I waited about 20 minutes and gave up after that.
I will try burning another disc.
Thanks

·
Registered
2006 S500 4Matic
178 Posts
FWIW, I do not think there is one correct solution. Seems that some people have better luck with DVD -R discs, others with DVD +R discs etc. Some people believe the particular software you use (Nero, Roxio, etc) makes a difference. Putting song files in folders seems to improve the time it takes to load. Make sure you have only folders and mp3 files on the disc - anything else (mp4 files, jpeg files, other image files, etc.) will certainly result in an error.

My dealer upgraded my firmware yet I still get occasional "CD-ROM Error" messages. Another oddity - sometimes after the DVD is fully loaded and playing and I shut off the car, it will take several minutes (again) to reload the DVD even if the car is shut down only for a couple of minutes. On the other hand, my car was shut down overnight and the mp3 disc starting playing immediately where it left off the night before. Seems to be no rhyme nor reason to that.

·
Registered
SL550 Designo Crystal & Red Interior R231 - SL55 Silver & Black Interior R230 - E550 - W212
189 Posts
I think I remember from reading here that you have to burn the mp3's as a data dvd. I have a 04 with the same setup and I burned them with the data dvd settign and I have no problem. I've used +RW -R with no problems.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2006 S500 4Matic
178 Posts
FWIW, I, too, did the "data DVD" method. Also, I tried -R, +R, and +RW (I was determined). For me -R worked best although I still get an error now and then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts