Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
c36, 1970 LeMans Sport, a truck
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got bored and decided to redo all my cracked, warped and abused wood with 3m Di Noc (ca-421 black)

Overall, I'm happy with the results. However working with this stuff requires some inherent talent to put it on successfully.

I have NO artistic talent, however after numerous trial and error I got something satisfactory. All I can say is, stock up on lots of the 3m adhesive, and only heat the surface when you are basically done.

One heat cycle and the stuff goes brittle and you'll never get it to work right again so if you heat it, make sure you are just smoothing out edges.

The stuff is OK, however I don't see it lasting for 12 years in a car, it feels like vinyl.

Anyhow, pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 W126 300SEL
306 Posts
Could you take some more pictures of this? Maybe with a better cam? This is what I was planing on doing with my car and I cant tell if I love it or hate it based on these pictures. Looks like you did a great job for your first time?!

·
Registered
1987 Porsche 930, 1971 Porsche 911S, 1995 C36 AMG,1973 Mercedes-Benz 230.6, 2004 VW Passat
97 Posts
Awesome, Di-Noc eh ;) Great stuff I did my C36 interior trim a while ago too! Did you remove all the trim to install and did you use the primer stuff they recommend? I never used the primer, but I wrapped right around the edges so when installed its tight against the door panels, dash etc, so I don't think I'll have a problem.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, I dropped all dash trim but didn't touch the doors.

My car was the victim of a stupid PO, so I didn't want to stress the door panels again- I had them all off once and told myself no way will I remove them unless of mechanical failure.

I did use the primer pretty much everywhere. You can tell when you tape over a primer spot, it sticks like crazy. There are a few spots if you look closely I f'd up but overall it looks good.

I'll snap some more pics shortly now that it's light out.

rjp

·
Registered
1987 Porsche 930, 1971 Porsche 911S, 1995 C36 AMG,1973 Mercedes-Benz 230.6, 2004 VW Passat
97 Posts
Sorry to hear you had trouble applying it, I just cut a piece the size I needed, set it on top, took an applicator to push any bubbles out. I then used the heat gun to smooth edges like you said and to smooth corners around the buttons. Never had a problem re-lifting and re-applying, wonder if you put to much heat to it? I tried just blasting a small piece with the heat gun before I applied any of the material at all to see what it would do, kinda shrinks up looses its texture and then goes brittle like you said.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
best I got for a camera....my phone.

I'm too cheap to buy a replacement camera, but here it goes:

Overall, I'm happy. It was a learning curve. The biggest PITA was getting the dash strip right that was the 1st piece I tried.

Took me 4 attempts to get something satisfactory.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The website resized and screwed up the pics. I'll try to get some more.

rjp

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to hear you had trouble applying it, I just cut a piece the size I needed, set it on top, took an applicator to push any bubbles out. I then used the heat gun to smooth edges like you said and to smooth corners around the buttons. Never had a problem re-lifting and re-applying, wonder if you put to much heat to it? I tried just blasting a small piece with the heat gun before I applied any of the material at all to see what it would do, kinda shrinks up looses its texture and then goes brittle like you said.
Ya, I whacked it pretty hard with a heat gun in a few spots- hard to tell when you're gonna get to brittle- and I used the heat to shrink it in curves (edges of door trim)

the upper console (hazard switch, etc) - I removed the buttons. The gearshift I wasn't so lucky- my car has a busted child safety switch so I had to glue the switch in place (it was falling out) and hardwired the windows around the switch to work so my car isn't like a police car - I defeated the child safety switch.

So, I put the stuff over all the switches, buttons, and cut X's over the buttons to bust them thru the vinyl, then just chipped away with my xacto till I got it all right.

Like I said earlier, I suck with arts and crafts kind of shit. I'm the kind of guy who in elementary school couldn't color between the lines- I don't have the touch but it turned out OK even for being an artistic retard.

rjp

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey, nice job! I was contemplating doing this, but painted mine black instead. I was afraid that the vinyl would be too thick on the trim pieces and would interfere on re-installation. I've since bought some vinyl, and am going to do the b-pillar trim, but maybe I'll do all the interior trim again. Looks good, I love how it looks like dry carbon.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks...

The only other thing is it's definitely not scratch resistant. Found that out yesterday when the dog scuffed it...

Oh well. Just keep some material handy for screwups.

rjp

·
Registered
12 Posts
Seen this in person and it does look sick. I agree that it lacks the class of the wood paneling but that starts to loose its class over time when it starts to get scuffed and cracked. As far as custom modifications go it looked great, there isn't a lot of improvement that can be made on the original look and that one certainly gave the car a more sporty feel. It made me start thinking about changing up my interior eventually since something like that would go great against the black paint, tinting, and smoke corner lights. It's impressive enough to see another c36 ever, first one I have seen since I really thought to look for them around and I'll let you know if I find any scrap yards or pull-a-parts with c280s in them.

There is finally another confirmed c36 in the AZ area, finally moved here from the pacific coast which seems to have the majority of this model.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seen this in person and it does look sick. I agree that it lacks the class of the wood paneling but that starts to loose its class over time when it starts to get scuffed and cracked. As far as custom modifications go it looked great, there isn't a lot of improvement that can be made on the original look and that one certainly gave the car a more sporty feel. It made me start thinking about changing up my interior eventually since something like that would go great against the black paint, tinting, and smoke corner lights. It's impressive enough to see another c36 ever, first one I have seen since I really thought to look for them around and I'll let you know if I find any scrap yards or pull-a-parts with c280s in them.

There is finally another confirmed c36 in the AZ area, finally moved here from the pacific coast which seems to have the majority of this model.
Ya dude was good meetin ya. Check ur PM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts