Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
mercedes 300sel
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off i would like to thank you all for the great help, you saved me probably thousands becasue of this bord. i was fixing my steering components to get rid of the play in my steering, i did the following. changed guide rod bushings, 2 tie rods, drag link, steerign damper, idler arm repair kit, got the dealership to install lower balljoints and then they did an alignment, the ride is 100 times better, but after all this work i did , i want it perfect. theres still some play in my steering, although much better than before i woudl liek to know of any other ideas im thinking upper balljoints and changing the complete arms and the stabalized bushings.. but do you guys have any other ideas why there alitle bit play still int he steering? thanks in advance

·
Registered
89 420 SEL (sold), 01ML320 (sold), 03 S430 4MATIC, 06 ML500
580 Posts
It sounds pretty much exactly the same stuff I changed. I had the same thing. The next thing will probably be the upper ball joints. And the most expensive thing will follow next. It's probably the steering gear. It's adjustable by a small amount and when it can't be adjusted, you have to bite the bullet and get either a reconditioned unit or a used one.

Another thing to check for is the rear control arm bushings, and subframne bushings. They don't usually show up on an alignment machine. Is your left rear a little bit lower than the right side?

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,103 Posts
I agree with BigD, if you have changed all the parts you mention and you still have some play in the steering, you need a new steering box.

I had mine changed back in December and my mechanic charged me $250 for a reconditioned unit. I don't know exactly what he charged me for removing the old one an putting in the new one (part of a VERY large bill), but I think he quoted me about 2.5 hrs. for the job.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and with the new (old?) unit, the steering is as tight as can be.[:)]

·
Registered
24 Posts
All Mercedes steering boxes are adjustable. If its not to bad then you should get the play removed by unscrewing the adjuster. I know this sounds wrong but thats the way it goes. Many people have had new boxes because there guy has gone the wrong way with the screw and where told it was shot

·
Registered
mercedes 300sel
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks for the advice. i was leaning towards the steerign box, but how do you adjust that? do u know the procedure to tighten that? that would be great of help. is the adjusted visible from the hood or under the car? thansk for the help guys

·
Registered
420 SEL
223 Posts
I just had mine adjusted by a local Mercedes mechanic. He charged me $25 and now it's a lot "tighter" feeling and as smooth as silk. The procedure to do it yourself is to raise both front wheels off the floor, make sure the wheels are straight ahead, undo the lock nut on top of the steering box and unscrew the center bolt (counter clockwise). Do a little at a time and make sure the steering goes from lock to lock without binding. When the steering feels less less sloppy, retighten the lock nut. If you over tighten the box, the steering will not center itself after cornering.
Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts