Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
W126 420SE & W126 300SE
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have rather a lot of play in my steering. I have replaced the steering damper and my mechanic tried to adjust the box but it has made no difference. I was thinking of just replacing some general components.

My questions is, Idler arm bushings.... are the 2 on a vehilce to replace or 1? I have know idea where they are, just read that they are worth replacing! Same question for drag links.

Actually, I even have lots of play in the steering wheel whilst it is sitting, engine off, I can turn the wheel a far bit with no resistance. Also whilst driving I can feel there is lots of play and on a windy day I get blown about the place! Any thoughts??

Thanks
Norm

·
Registered
1986 Euro 300SEL
2,151 Posts
There is one idler arm bushing on the pass side (for LHD cars). If you look, on the driver's side, there's an arm off the steering box that connects to the center link, then the other side of the center link connects to the idler arm, since there's no box to connect to over there.

If replacing the idler arm, the center link, tie rods, etc all doesn't do anything, you may need a rebuild/rebuilt box.

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
I have rather a lot of play in my steering. I have replaced the steering damper and my mechanic tried to adjust the box but it has made no difference. I was thinking of just replacing some general components.

My questions is, Idler arm bushings.... are the 2 on a vehilce to replace or 1? I have know idea where they are, just read that they are worth replacing! Same question for drag links.

Actually, I even have lots of play in the steering wheel whilst it is sitting, engine off, I can turn the wheel a far bit with no resistance. Also whilst driving I can feel there is lots of play and on a windy day I get blown about the place! Any thoughts??

Thanks
Norm
You could have the tightest front end but if the box is shot, it will do you no good major good to replace just the bushing/ends. If you feel no resistance in the wheel from left to right before it hits the internals to make a change at the pitman arm you will find the car somewhat difficult to track while driving. I replaced my box a few months back and it's incredible how much more fun it is to drive the car. I pick lines on the road that can be mathematically derived now! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
W126 420SE & W126 300SE
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Is steering box replacement a complex job? Maybe I could use the one out of my old 420.

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Is steering box replacement a complex job? Maybe I could use the one out of my old 420.
Just remove the tie rod ends from the pitman arm and four bolts holding the box onto the side wall. Don't forget the hoses too :) About 30-60 minutes.

·
Registered
from small to large
885 Posts
I have rather a lot of play in my steering. I have replaced the steering damper and my mechanic tried to adjust the box but it has made no difference. I was thinking of just replacing some general components...
Don't mean to hijack your thread, can you shed a light where the damper is at? My 300SDL steering wheel jitters all the time, not a tire issue for sure, I am trying to pin down the cause... (oh, I replaced all bushings and steering is solid otherwise). Thanks.

·
Registered
W126 420SE & W126 300SE
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't mean to hijack your thread, can you shed a light where the damper is at? My 300SDL steering wheel jitters all the time, not a tire issue for sure, I am trying to pin down the cause... (oh, I replaced all bushings and steering is solid otherwise). Thanks.
If you have a look under the car you should see soming that looks like this Mercedes Steering Damper 1244630432 German OEM Quality. on eBay, also, Mercedes-Benz, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 30-Apr-09 20:16:05 BST)

Sorry, its the best pic I could find just now but they all look similar. Fairly easy to replace, just a bolt on both ends.

·
Registered
1982 500SL AMG "Darmstadt Branch"
1,100 Posts
It will look something like this...(this was posted by someone else on here)

Attachments

·
Registered
from small to large
885 Posts
Thank you both bielefeld280se and Huntrtylr. I'll go check mine, maybe that is due to replace.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts