Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
500SLC #2624. Black on Black.
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Does anybody know where I can get the white plastic grommets that go inside the holes on the top of the windscreen that the hard-top/soft-top connects into.

Part numbers might be useful too, if anybody knows them.

Thanks in advance,

Foto.

·
Registered
71 280se 3.5 Cab, 06 C230, 06 ML350
628 Posts
Good find. I was searching and couldn't find it. Who would have thought to look under covering and lining/instrument panel?? :confused: Surely not me but good thing Chief was here. That's why there should only be one Chief and many Indians:thumbsup:

Sometimes EPC is strange. I'm German and I don't get what they do many times.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's why I love this forum! Fast and reliable.

It's a shame it's so droll and humourless though. :(

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,212 Posts
Good find. I was searching and couldn't find it. Who would have thought to look under covering and lining/instrument panel?? :confused: Surely not me but good thing Chief was here. That's why there should only be one Chief and many Indians:thumbsup:

I found my heater hose under Engine Suspension for my 96 SL600.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I found it now, but under 'Covering and Lining/Front panel pillar panelling, lining on floor and footrest'

·
Registered
1986 560SL 2002 Toyota Camry 1993 Lexus ES300
46 Posts
Can anyone post a picture of these installed? My 560SL doesn't have them, and I can't see how they would go on. PO beat the heck out of the aluminum surrounding the holes. Does the aluminum piece across the top have to come off to install the grommets?

·
Registered
71 280se 3.5 Cab, 06 C230, 06 ML350
628 Posts
They have a cut out in the center. You just pinch them, slide down a little in the hole and they lock into place. 15 seconds a side max. Just buy them and all will be clear.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,512 Posts
Can anyone post a picture of these installed? My 560SL doesn't have them, and I can't see how they would go on. PO beat the heck out of the aluminum surrounding the holes. Does the aluminum piece across the top have to come off to install the grommets?
If it is as beaten as you say, you might have to gently pry up the edges to insert the grommets.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
I'll be the sole dissenter and say forget about the grommets. I've been through six of them, three on each side. My car chews them up and spits them out. It doesn't want grommets.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,355 Posts
I put new ones in a few months ago.
I couldn't get one of them to fit just right and it has since disappeared.
My aluminum windshield header looks like someone has taken a ballpeen hammer to it. The PO must have been impatient with raising the top.
I know how she felt..... the top is my biggest beef with the 107 design.

·
Registered
2008 C300 (sold), 1987 560SL, 2007 CLK350 Cabrio, 2011 E350 Coupe. ALL 040! :)
121 Posts
Sorry to ressurect....

Does anyone know if the aluminum strip on top of the dashboard can be replaced and at what cost? Ours is pretty beaten up as well and the o-ring seals will not stay in place!

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

Threadus Resurrectus isn't really frowned on around here. And I'd like the OP's thoughts on his original question. :D

·
Registered
2008 C300 (sold), 1987 560SL, 2007 CLK350 Cabrio, 2011 E350 Coupe. ALL 040! :)
121 Posts
Oops! sorry, I found my answer finally in my search and deleted my original post!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts