Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been tripping over these stupid 86+ fender well liners for a bit too long and need them out of the way. I figured out how to fit the fender liners but need to figure out what fastener to use. I have some of the fender sheet metal screws with captive washers but looked at EPC to find the proper sheet metal screw anyone with an 86+ want to tell me what type of fasteners are used to hold the fender liners to the body of the car.

Any tips or suggestions appreciated, I'll try to post some pictures if anyone else wants to retrofit these to their car.

·
Registered
1978 450SL--117K
1,374 Posts
Well I've been tripping over these stupid 86+ fender well liners for a bit too long and need them out of the way. I figured out how to fit the fender liners but need to figure out what fastener to use. I have some of the fender sheet metal screws with captive washers but looked at EPC to find the proper sheet metal screw anyone with an 86+ want to tell me what type of fasteners are used to hold the fender liners to the body of the car.

Any tips or suggestions appreciated, I'll try to post some pictures if anyone else wants to retrofit these to their car.
I looked, but can't tell. I'll look again tomorrow for you.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,533 Posts
I've no idea but I notice you have retro fitted them? Are they highly recommended or really for people driving on poor roads - ie lots of gravel ? Sorry if it's a silly question.

·
Registered
1988 560SL (California Model)
5,104 Posts
Mine came loose at the bottom of the fender well. IIRC I used a pop rivet to hold it in and a dab of black paint to cover.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The deal is the liners keep crap from accumulating in the headlight well which is like a cubby hole for crud.

I kind of like the idea of pop rivet until I have to remove it. I think I'll get some sheet metal screws with a captive washer and call it. I don't care if they are standard to be honest.

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
Retrofitting them involves putting holes in the inner fender, which is very exciting to drill considering what is on the other side (i.e., wires carring VERY HIGH CURRENT, radiator bottles, A/C, etc).

I've thought about very carefully measuring the 560SL, and transferring those measurements to the 380, drilling from the inside out and moving what needs to move.

It IS possible to prevent the damage as shown by that horrible picture, by cleaning those areas once a year IMO. I could NOT BELIEVE what came out of the area above the headlight buckets. I kid you not, I pulled out >1 pound of mud, before "bad results" took place.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK I got er done! They are installed, I used a bunch of sheet metal screws I had laying around. Size #10 and 1/2 to 3/4" works fine as do screws from the fender. I also used some 1/8x1" washers on the sheet metal washers. Just make sure to check where you drill, one goes straight for the ignition coil, and one goes for the washer fluid reservoir. I ended up using both 1/2" sheet metal screws and had to cut down some screws so they wouldn't poke through.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,362 Posts
OK I got er done! They are installed, I used a bunch of sheet metal screws I had laying around. Size #10 and 1/2 to 3/4" works fine as do screws from the fender. I also used some 1/8x1" washers on the sheet metal washers. Just make sure to check where you drill, one goes straight for the ignition coil, and one goes for the washer fluid reservoir. I ended up using both 1/2" sheet metal screws and had to cut down some screws so they wouldn't poke through.
Good job Daryn. :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts