Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of using plastic dip on the Benz, two tone or one tone I'm undecided yet to what way to go
I don't want to plastic wrap the car is too expensive but I can do plastic dip
Plus the product is cheap right now
how many cans will I need to do the 560sel 20 plus? or less?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,132 Posts
One tone probably best. I quite like the rat look? Matt army green? It comes off doesn't it so you can experiment a bit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes you can peal the paint off, I think I'm gonna do dark metallic grey or vintage gold will post pictures as I go I think it will come out ok

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,132 Posts
Dark metallic grey, can that come as a flat finish? Could look very cool.

Check Faiz Jan's car for a visual guide, I'm not sure what he used but his car is a goldish hue and it a flat finish. Looks good.

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
328 Posts
Is this in lieu of very expensively re-painting the car or is there some other reason for doing this? and what would 20 cans of the stuff cost and who sells it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
eBay and most auto parts stores sell it, they got form $9 to $11 a can I'm not sure if will take about 18 to 20 cans to do the whole car, a paint job on these car will be $3K to $5K compared to $200 on plastic dip cans and Zero on labor
plus even the new Mercedes are doing it professional jobs are around $2K to $3K

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,221 Posts
I was gonna go this route. But decided against it. I sold the entire kit, unused, including the spray gun, for $200. I hadn’t 5 gallons of paint. That’s why dip-your-car recommends for a large car.

I’ve used plastidip before. On my r129. It gave that car a rougher appearance. Which I wanted.

Def hit up the guy with the gold plastidip car. He knows his stuff.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,221 Posts

Then towing it away after they declared it a total loss from a busted tail light and 1 inch pushed in trunk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Insurance companies rather do a total loss on this old cars that to spend the money fixing them Nice car you had there
I will be doing the plastic dip on my car I will post pictures on how to get it done I already have an idea on how to do doing in sections

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,221 Posts
No frame damage. No airbag. No SRS light.

I was stopped at a stop sign. For whatever reason (texting while stoned), the raised Jeep with his giant grill that was behind me decided to go, and rear ended me. He had about 6 feet of acceleration from a dead stop. The Jeep and front grill were so high they didn’t even touch my bumper.

I tried to buy the car back, but they wouldn’t let me. If the frame was bent, I would be ok with it.

·
Registered
1986 420 SEL
55 Posts
No frame damage. No airbag. No SRS light.

I was stopped at a stop sign. For whatever reason (texting while stoned), the raised Jeep with his giant grill that was behind me decided to go, and rear ended me. He had about 6 feet of acceleration from a dead stop. The Jeep and front grill were so high they didn’t even touch my bumper.

I tried to buy the car back, but they wouldn’t let me. If the frame was bent, I would be ok with it.
Yeah screw that, If they wouldn't let you buy it back I would have retracted the claim and told them to f**k off. What insurance company will not let you buy the car back? Also, this is why Florida is a sh*t place to own a car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
AAA Insurance won't let you keep the car if gets a total loss report from the body shops and even sometimes if the repairs are too high they will total loss the car instead of paying to fix it.
I got hit on the side on my 2015 Harley Sport and they claim a total loss it too I got more than what is was worth because I had a lot of extra chrome parts custom paint job custom wheels

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,221 Posts
It was what it was. Though I learned the guy picking up the car has no idea what condition it’s in. ...There were a few thousand dollars worth of parts I could have pulled in 20 minutes had I known that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts