Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'91 190E 2.6 5-spd
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there really any functional purpose to this? Right now it's held on with zip ties because it's half busted up. Do I need to bother with it after I take it off to check the distributor?

·
Premium Member
1986 190E 2.3-16, 1992 190E 2.3, 2015 GL350 BTC, and 2020 GLS450
2,393 Posts
If you are referring to a six cylinder motor's dust shield, absolutely replace it with a factory fresh one.

Zip ties? No good.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
There are two parts. The outer one is the thinner cover. The inner portion will have to be replaced if the outer one does not fasten properly on the inner piece.

·
Registered
'87 190E 2.6
186 Posts
I think the question here is, "is it necessary", and I think that it is. It provides a stop for the wires before they would be eaten by the belt driven fan.

That said, could you get away without it -of course you could, just know the risk of your choice.

·
Registered
1992 Mercedes 190E 2.6
25 Posts
Ever since I got my 190E 2.6, it does'nt have that cover, its only up until recently that I found it in the trunk buried under alot of other stuff and I didn't even bother to put it on. My plug cables are far enough from the fan that it does'nt get caught.

I serves no purpose at all, other than make it pretty in my opinion. Or as Stravlr mentioned, as a stop if your plug wires have alot of slack.

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,103 Posts
I had my 190E 2.6 for 4 years before realizing I was missing the cover when I was ordering a new distributor cap and all the associated parts. It ran fine for all that time.
Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I first noticed the cap shield covering the cap in its position on the front of the engine my immediate assumption was that it is placed to keep heavy rain from penetrating to the ignition wiring and penetrating the cap. Not so important in my neighborhood but I would not be surprised that after driving through a monsoon for a week or two the benefit might be more apparent. But with out regard to what the real answer to the puzzle is.. If it came with the car, I leave it on the car. I am pretty certain that not replacing it will not make anything any better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts