Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks to all for a really good time. It was great meeting you all for the first time.

Shoshana (the owner of the 78 300CD) and I had the random idea of doing a road trip to Pismo beach meerting with you fellows and chit-chatting about the finer points of the W123.

This seemed like a good idea until we were halfway there and we realized we didnt have anyones number. No worries, we are meeting at cafe right. How hard could it be to pick out a large group (of nameless and faceless) mercedes afficianatos? Um...well, its like this..

Splash was a lot smaller than we figured(line around the block to get in for fish and chips?!!? whiskey-tango-foxtrot?). Pismo beach, thats a tourist town isnt it? Like a swarm of locust they decend upon the place. How in the world do we find these people that we dont have numbers for and have never met(and dont know we are here as we both werent registered on the site).

Hmm. we see cars. They must be here. Leave notes on windshield with phone number. Get food . Walk to beach to eat. Now, where would a group of mercedes fanatics be?

Maybe we should ask these fellows loosely grouped around this gentleman with the mercedes T-shirt?

w00T!!

Good times, good times.

Thanks again for those who bore with my questions on veggie oil conversion. I feel much more confident about the practicallity of the whole thing now. At worst, we can always default to the B100 we already use.

Shoshana enjoyed herself speaking to you all and enjoyed the local sights and sounds even though she was very tired from me waking her up early to make the meet.

Gavin

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes 300TD wagon
1,048 Posts
Hey Gavin & Shoshana!

Hey, I thought your surprise appearance made one of the highlights of the trip for me. You were both very nice to talk to and with great senses of humor (I loved the blue "windows error" tee-shirt!). We were a bit surprised how well your non-turbo kept up with us on those stretches of highway.

Anyway, welcome aboard!

Patrick --84' Gold 300D-T

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Likewise, welcome aboard! Hope to meet you two on the next GTG! :p

(I know I'm missing a lot from the last GTG, more reason to join the next :D)

·
Registered
1985 300d CA Edition
39 Posts
Attendees! So how did u like that Old Creek Road?! Man that road was the shit!! i knew u guys were gunna love it. Zack and I are going to have to discuss and comeup w/ some ideas for our next meet. We are planning to have a course scheduel for the meet: activities, pot-luck,Q&A, MUCH MUCH MORE.... And ofcourse i think everyone will accord about adding Old Creek Road to our list!

Radios are a must: I mean it's much more convient to use a radio than dialing 10 digits on your cell phone. Samson and I already have a pair of radio's (20 channel-2mile range)If we travel together,we're willing to lend our other radio. Next meet: hopefully communication will be much smoother, one radio per car isnt a bad idea; Kraugs mentioned that RadioShack had some inexpensive ones. Maybe the so-cal convoy guys can chip in and get a pair or two.

BBQ/PotLuck: During our dinner in Morro Bay before we left, Zack mentioned that we should have a potluck/bbq. If everyone brings something hopefully we can have a well fed meal w/o paying the high tourist prices at the local restaurants. (zach, that Rose's place ended up charging me $12= 20% NOT 15%!!!! i know my gratuity!!! in tips to my visa even though i had left them cash!! i think i need JUDGE JUDY!)

Activities: Samson wanted to Ride ATV's in Pismo. It's rather pricey. Thats just a suggestion; feel free to discuss, anyone suggest any other options?

·
Registered
83 300d turbo, 79 c123 AMG
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Lets get another topic going, this one is a bit too long. First things first: date!

I'll add your post to my first one.

·
Registered
1984 300 TD-T
271 Posts
washerman said:
1t was a 99 nice car very quiet you would not even know it was diesel
Very nice car. That car was not sold new in Ca right? I can't think of any turbo diesels being sold in Ca since the early w124 300TD

·
Registered
83 300 d t
699 Posts
Prez808 said:
Very nice car. That car was not sold new in Ca right? I can't think of any turbo diesels being sold in Ca since the early w124 300TD
i think they sold them here up intill 2003 thats when the smog rules kicked in

·
Registered
1984 300 TD-T
271 Posts
Are you sure? My Dad looked at them around 99 or so, and we could only test drive the diesel since the Turbo was not sold in Ca (then anyway).

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
The last year MB sold diesel's in California was 87. CARB hates diesels but with the new e320's bluetech v6 they will be for sale again in the fall of this year.

I look forward to seeing a lot of CDI's around.

·
Registered
1984 300 TD-T
271 Posts
Ah yes, so that is a federal car. I do remember going for a test drive in a w210 diesel non-turbo around 1999 or so. Was very nice, and "quick" 0-60 in 10 sec. But knowing that the Turbo models do better at high altitude we decided against it.

I can't wait to see the cdi's too!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Pretty soon, I'll bring the topic back up.

161 - 172 of 172 Posts