Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. I am planning to tint my ride. It is a four door hatchback. How % shade should I go for? I am tinting for three reasons but not in particular order of importance: looks, privacy, and heat rejection. Only back windows are planning to tint to stay legal. Light beige is the interior color. The brand I plan to use only has 50% (54 VLT), 35% (39 VLT), and 15% (18 VLT). 50 won't be good because of the beige interior. 35% is ok but still very light under sunlight. Will 15% still look classy while providing good privacy but not consider too dark like on those racy cheap import Civics? Here is my ride and color.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey jtcb,

What are the legal percentage limitations in your area? Where I live I applied 35% in the front and 20% in the back the mix is smooth and looks good. I have no trouble with the police either because the tint is of a legal percentage. The privacy is good, and my Burnt Orange Leather Seats are Happy!

Thanks,

·
Registered
632 Posts
I can't quite tell from the image of your car, but if the radio antenna is built into the glass, tinting may affect your radio reception. Apparently some tinting films have metal in them.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The legal limit is anything % on the back windows and NO tint on the front windows. The antenna is on the roof. I plan to use Formula One Pinnacle series so it won't be a problem regarding AM and GPS.

What % (50, 35, 15) should I go for? Is dark always nicer? Based on my color, what % look nice? I want to look classy and have good privacy. 50 is too light with beige interior. 35 is also light in direct sunlight. 15 is pretty dark and might not look as nice? What do you guys think? Suggestion please. BTW, Comet Grey Metallic is the body color.

·
Registered
63 Posts

We have a 2007 Benz titanium silver. Grey tint.
I had them put 20% on back window (blocking 80% of light)
35% on side windows. The tech misunderstood me and put 35% tint on driver and front passenger window. This is illegal in California.
The tint cannot be further forward than the driver's shoulder.
If I get stopped for the front tint I'll just remove it.
In CA there is no standard for tint intensity. The state considers tinted windows the same as (for example) a work van with no side windows. And you have to have side mirrors to make up for the lack of rearward vision.
And hopefully you're having this done by a professional shop. In our area you can tell the amateur jobs ........ the tint has come loose in spots. You end up with white blotches.
Good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tint the rear windows limo black and the front ones the lightest available to avoid problems with the cops. it will be a nice combo.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
Do 15% on the rear and don't touch the front unless you are sure the cops don't care and don't carry tint readers, then go for 50% up front. I would not do 5%. I've driven in cars with 5% at night and its hard to see out of. I can see out of 18-20% at night just fine (got that on the back of my car). The 15% will actually block more heat then 5%, believe it or not. Make sure you get a pro to do the job. The DIY jobs always look like crap. Get a LIFETIME tint that will not fade to purple!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts