Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just placed an order for a gl550. I had been bugging the dealership to let me know if the 550 was coming out anytime soon (since I had a 450 on order but did not want to take delivery then have the 550 come out 2 months later). Well, they called me over the weekend to let me know they had just got an allocation for 2 gl550's. The interesting thing is that they still do not show a invoice price for the vehicle (It kinda felt a little strange ordering a vehicle without knowing the price!). There are very few options you can order (keyless go, I-pod integration, rear sear entertainment, etc), so I assume it comes with most of the major options. There are also two more color options, a verde dark green and a ? taupe color. The build complete date is suppossed to be early July. I'll let you guys know if I get any more info.

·
Registered
2007 GL320 CDI, 2005 SLK350 and 2001 SLK320
328 Posts
I just spent some quality time with the sales mgr at my dealer. (My second visit in as many days.) His paperwork shows 2008 models being built starting in the first decade (10 days) of July. So this is in line with the early July build date for your GL550. But the sales mgr also said he thinks there will be no 2008 models built until Sept or maybe Oct. My 2007 GL320 is scheduled for July 9 and there's no way they're going to build 2007 models at the same time as 2008 models. And mine definitely still shows up as a 2007 model. Plus they have a huge backlog of 2007 models to build due to "supplier issues". Finally, the sales mgr said MB is always pushing out production dates, especially when you're more than two months away from production. It frustrates him and his customers to no end.

When I placed my order in December, I had a March/April allocation. Build date is now July. Based on my experience, I think your GL550 may show up 2-3 months later than you'd like.

·
Registered
2008 SL550
613 Posts
mbslk350 said:
I just spent some quality time with the sales mgr at my dealer. (My second visit in as many days.) His paperwork shows 2008 models being built starting in the first decade (10 days) of July. So this is in line with the early July build date for your GL550. But the sales mgr also said he thinks there will be no 2008 models built until Sept or maybe Oct. My 2007 GL320 is scheduled for July 9 and there's no way they're going to build 2007 models at the same time as 2008 models. And mine definitely still shows up as a 2007 model. Plus they have a huge backlog of 2007 models to build due to "supplier issues". Finally, the sales mgr said MB is always pushing out production dates, especially when you're more than two months away from production. It frustrates him and his customers to no end.

When I placed my order in December, I had a March/April allocation. Build date is now July. Based on my experience, I think your GL550 may show up 2-3 months later than you'd like.
With a Mar/Apr allocation I still find it strange that your order got moved back to July. I placed my order the same time as you and got a late April build date that was finalized eventually for the 26th. My rep checks the order daily for me and it is holding for production next week at Status 3B, which is the final step before In Production (B4).

Are you sure your dealer did not play games with you early on? I am not saying he did but the "supplier issues" has not been raised on my order....YET...:)

·
Registered
2007 GL320 CDI, 2005 SLK350 and 2001 SLK320
328 Posts
nevadajack said:
Are you sure your dealer did not play games with you early on? I am not saying he did but the "supplier issues" has not been raised on my order....YET...:)
Can't say for sure but it's crossed my mind. They may have overpromised back in December. Or maybe they regret giving me such a good discount ($4000) on such a hot vehicle. Perhaps they're HOPING that I cancel the order so they can reconfigure it and sell it to someone else for more $$$. The order is still BA so anything can still be changed for someone else.

Or maybe MB is just really screwed up with their production schedules. At this point, I'd believe any of the above.

·
Registered
377 Posts
4K off on a 320 is an EXTREMELY great deal. I have not heard of such discount on 320 till now.

I hope I am wrong but the dealer could be playing games with you since they now realize how hot the 320 is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
mbslk350 said:
My 2007 GL320 is scheduled for July 9 and there's no way they're going to build 2007 models at the same time as 2008 models. And mine definitely still shows up as a 2007 model.
I just ordered a 2008 320CDI yesterday with a July build date. My dealer has 2 allocated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts