Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
e430 estate - what a blast, e300 saloon and a C200 kompressor
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many my secondary displays looked like a game of tetris. I lived with them for years like that after paying for a repair that never worked. I noticed that ebay had listed complete displays with attached ribbons at a very reasonable price. I didn't use a soldering kit, preferring to use the original Mercedes system of ribbons forced down on to the printed circuit board. I cleaned the pads where the ribbon cable connects with a fine rubber (the yellow plastic type used by architects - not the cheap aggressive granular type. Once the were clean I just reused the original clamp with an additional strip of foam behind the rubber pressure pad. It took two attempts to get a full connection (well ok I had to hit the display twice after that when the - disappeared from the temperature display. But its worked for the past two years without fault. Resetting the needles is simple just wind them down against the stops.....apart from the speedo. The solution is simple. Without the outer case attached reconnect the inners of the instrument cluster - not pretty but it does sit in the hole OK. Set your display to show the speed on the centre digital display and then you can get up to speed, note the difference and move the needle clockwise or anticlockwise to get the digital and analogue agreeing. It does take quite some time to get it accurate and choose a quite road as its remarkably hard to drive at a set speed and note what the needle is pointing to....of course if its long enough use the cruise. I hope that helps anyone trying the pixel replacement - I found it much easier to buy the displays with ribbons attached and reuse the original clamp system..oh yes by the way Im an electronics engineer so soldering is not a problem.

·
Registered
MB 2001 320E
137 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2001 E320 and have the same problem.
I know it is a "contact or connection" problem because I see changes in the display from day to day and temperature change.
I would be interested to hear your experience in removing and opening up the display.
I think I only need to clean and use some sort of "additional foam strip" and I should be good.
Should I make my own "foam strip".?
Joe

·
Registered
108 Posts
much info on the forums about this. problem is I could not break the cluster down enough to get to the part you can solder! the last shell/step i gave up. got a used cluse for 70$ on ebay that was confirmed working. now i have MPG, trip data ect. tried an AMG cluster but it did not light up.

·
Registered
MB 2001 320E
137 Posts
Very interesting.
I was under the impression that you needed an exact part number match.
Since I could not get the part number for the cluster, I never tried to get a used one.
I'll have another look at that option.

·
Registered
1995 e320ce. 1993 230 TE. 1987 Kit car with 260e running gear.
708 Posts
Matching the mileage is the problem.
Most advertisers don't say what it is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts