Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My timing chain start knocking, so I guess I can try rebuild the engine as well.

Any advice on which piston rings would be good to get for N/A?

For turbo, NPR, Hastings?

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,105 Posts
On a M119 any generation the valve covers will be a bit ground-down. One can replace the critical three lower chain guides from the valve covers without ever removing the front cover. No need to open the whole thing up. You may have to remove the waterpump to do this as you need the chain guide puller tool. You will to replace the rubber waterpump seals if you are doing a 89-95 engine M119 replace the rubber elbow at the smog pump valve.

The two flat passenger side guides wear the most, and the upper driver guide has to be changed. The lower driver guide one has to pull the timing cover, and obviously the guides at the top of the heads are not the guides I'm talking about. those are super easy to do.

I watch my buddy do this half dozen times on his engines

Best of luck,

Martin

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks as well. I've seen how its done on youtube. But there is lot of carbon left overs inside the engine and who ever owned it before me did lot of driving and overheated the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts