Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another fun shipment arrived today.

These are genuine mercedes squirters. Thanks Euro truck. I will try to document the process of machining the block to accept these. (my block does not have any machine work done to facilitate jets)

If anyone needs info off these jets, let me know before they make it to the machine shop. They do look a bit different than some I have seen, but they will do the job.

I was going to make my own jets, but I didn't now how big the jet orifice was so I was unsure of flow rating for them.

If I were to make my own, I would consider brazing a tube into a threaded plug, then machine the block with only threads and no spot face. Then bend the tube by hand to aim the jet. This would make it almost possible to install these while the engine is in the truck still.

Attachments

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To late, already at the machine shop. I will check when I get back there.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,417 Posts
my block does not have any machine work done to facilitate jets
What do the non-machined blocks have ? Just virgin casting ? Or is there a boss cast in the 'proper' place that one needs to finish machine ?

...or should I just wait for the documentation to continue ? ;)

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, if you look at the pic Snow posted, you see the raised area where the jets go. This is just virgin cast material. So you have to spot face that area to give yourself something to seat to. Then you have to drill the hole for the banjo bolt and the alignment pin. Then you must drill from the bolt hole you made into the main oil galley. Then you can thread for the banjo bolt. At this point you are done. Just install the jets and go.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to start her with the stock n/a 352 pump. If I see oil pressure drops, I will upgrade to an hd pump. But the cost is pretty high.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nozzles and bolts were $180 shipped. Very pricey, but worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
unimog 435 1300l doka 1986
239 Posts
It would be nice to have pics of the mechanic proses when the squirters where machinered in to the block but i understand if it could´t be done. Because you sent it to a machinery shop.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
A lot of very nice Unimog...
438 Posts
I was hoping to get a bare block w/ nozzles to get an accurate angle to machine the recess for the nozzle and location for the dowel. Maybe we are being to critical, but was hoping to steam the oil in the same location as the factory.
Have you had any luck w/ this or are you just going to wing it?

I have a block waiting in line to do the same. I didn't have the extra $ to get a long and narrow enough tool to reach down deep enough below the block skirt.

Sounds good, good luck.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was hoping to get a bare block w/ nozzles to get an accurate angle to machine the recess for the nozzle and location for the dowel. Maybe we are being to critical, but was hoping to steam the oil in the same location as the factory.
Have you had any luck w/ this or are you just going to wing it?

I have a block waiting in line to do the same. I didn't have the extra $ to get a long and narrow enough tool to reach down deep enough below the block skirt.

Sounds good, good luck.
I guess you could say I am winging it sorta. The spot face for the nozzle is perpendicular with the cylinder bore. Then the oil port inside the threaded hole for the banjo will have a pre calculated angle to hit the oil galley. As for the dowel, its only real purpose is to keep the jet from turning while torquing and to get general alignment. Further aiming of the jet can be facilitated by gently bending of the jet tube itself. I wont claim any of this as mercedes quality info, but it will get the job done. And honestly if you look at the nozzles, the accuracy of the nozzle is not very high. So you can aim it all you want, but the stream could shoot in totally different area when done.

We will see how it all turns out.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Machine work is done! Turned out to be way simpler than I thought.

Jay, turned out that machining the spot face at a very very slight angle reduced the amount of machine work needed and allowed a larger tool to fit. I'm sure you can get yours done locally, but if you want, the local shop here can rework your block and install the jets for you if you are interested.

I forgot to take a pic, but I will after the holidays.

·
Registered
U1300L Turbo x 3
754 Posts
So machining down found an oil galley, or does the galley need to be bored as well?
Machine work is done! Turned out to be way simpler than I thought.

Jay, turned out that machining the spot face at a very very slight angle reduced the amount of machine work needed and allowed a larger tool to fit. I'm sure you can get yours done locally, but if you want, the local shop here can rework your block and install the jets for you if you are interested.

I forgot to take a pic, but I will after the holidays.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The main galley is almost directly under the "boss" or casting for the jets. If you went perfectly lined up with the piston bore, you would hit half or more of the oil galley. But this makes getting a long enough tool a little hard. Just a degree or two helps get the tool in and hits 100% of the oil galley.

·
Registered
U1300L Turbo x 3
754 Posts
So this begets the question, can any boring old vanilla om352 block be machined in this way?

Because that would be pretty rad. Oil spraying really can get you a long ways. Also, if you're machining your own holes, use a sprayer part that is way cheaper, and has an oil check valve integrated in, so you don't loose pressure at low rpm.

The main galley is almost directly under the "boss" or casting for the jets. If you went perfectly lined up with the piston bore, you would hit half or more of the oil galley. But this makes getting a long enough tool a little hard. Just a degree or two helps get the tool in and hits 100% of the oil galley.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm still not sure if any old 352 can be machined. My block is the later style with the ribs on the passenger side under the head. But, I really feel like it should be possible on any 352. I also really like the idea of having check valves as well. I have thought about retrofitting my bolts which would be easy, but I am not sure about the spring and if it's really worth my time.

·
Banned
A lot of very nice Unimog...
438 Posts
Thanks for the offer!
Look at the Duramax cooling nozzle hollow bolt,it has check valve and is the same DIA. and thread, but it is 3 mm shorter.
I think it was set to open at 23 psi

1 - 20 of 39 Posts