781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
It looks a little expensive...
If you do it... I would love to know how it goes.
The head unit is a little low on out models. Does the dislay unit tilt up high enough to see?

Chuck

·
Registered
98 C-230, 07 C-280 4matic
82 Posts
It's great.

I have a 1986 280GE with the same system installed. The angle is adjustable and easily viewed in all light levels. The cost is a little high, but on-line it is coming down. My G has an integrated 1000 boosted sound system, so listening to music and movies is a breeze. It is easily viewable from the back and front seats as well. You will note that when the screen comes up, it will be in front of the top air vents, but you still get enough air from them despite about half the vent is covered.

You will love this addition to your G. It installs easily into the space provided.

Good luck and send pictures.

By the way, the NAV module is an additional cost, and can be mounted under the back seat along with the amps. Another location would be under one of the seats.

Good luck

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
weberdocs - 5/5/2005 11:50 PM

It's great.

I have a 1986 280GE with the same system installed. The angle is adjustable and easily viewed in all light levels. The cost is a little high, but on-line it is coming down. My G has an integrated 1000 boosted sound system, so listening to music and movies is a breeze. It is easily viewable from the back and front seats as well. You will note that when the screen comes up, it will be in front of the top air vents, but you still get enough air from them despite about half the vent is covered.

You will love this addition to your G. It installs easily into the space provided.

Good luck and send pictures.

By the way, the NAV module is an additional cost, and can be mounted under the back seat along with the amps. Another location would be under one of the seats.

Good luck
Do you have any photos of the unit installed in your G-Wagon?

·
Registered
G320,G-Cabrio,Brabus G300GE
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
weberdocs - 5/5/2005 11:50 PM

It's great.I have a 1986 280GE with the same system installed. The angle is adjustable and easily viewed in all light levels.
1. Would you please take a photo of the Pioneer N-2 and the placement of your amps and navigational accessory ?

2. Also were you able to bypass the (gyro=blocker) so you are able or your passengers to view the DVD while the car is in motion ?

Thank you,

Van

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
It's a matter of what you're after....

If having a nav/radio/dvd system all in a single head unit is your primary goal, then units like this are the only way to go.

BUT - just like I don't have an "all in one" scanner-printer-fax on my computer, and for the same reasons my home stereo is separate components not a single integrated unit, if you're interested in the performance of the various elements of the system in their own rights, then they have to be compared at that level to be sure the nav system is what you're after, the DVD, and the receiver head unit.

Does the Nav system auto-route to a destination and issue voice commands? Maybe that's a given by now, but I wouldn't bother with a nav system that didn't operate that way. How easy is the system to operatr for a driver alone in the car? I also like the ability to move the nav system from car to car - more return for the investment made. There are other aspects of nav system operation that you only learn about with experience, but that make some WAY more useful than others (hence the previous comment about the MB unit) - like being able to store a lot of map area internally and not be always accessing disks and crap like that.

In a DVD ystem, things like support for wireless headphones, visibility to rear passengers, and controls for same are really nice, and again, are things I would want in any DVD system, but each person has their own needs.

And as for the receiver, how friendly is it to pre-amp and control I/O like adding XM or Serius capability with head unit control if you're into that? How user friendly are the menus and controls, ease of access by a driver alone in the car, etc.

Get some closeups of the one in Webberdoc's G. I can't remember for sure but it might have stuck out of the dash a noticeable ammount. There's not a lot of room behind the area where the factory stereo mounts. Also the factory mounting size is only single din. So units that are din+ or 1.5 DIN don't fit very well at all. Not sure what that pioneer one is.

Good luck!

-Dave G.

·
Registered
'94 G350TDL
304 Posts
How my system looks like

It's a kind of old Pioneer DVD Nav system. Pic #1 is a monitor with some antennas. Pic #2 is a remote controller that I use instead of voice commands for the machine doesn't understand my Japanese quite often. Pic #3 is a mess, well actually it's a main body of the DVD Nav under the driver's seat. You cannot see it, because it is covered by cables. The unit you see in front is a unit to change the screen to rear camera automatically when I shift the lever to reverse position. Maybe I should cut the cables, but am too lazy. It works anyway.[:p]

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 G500L, 1968 SWISS Mog
246 Posts
Hi
My recommendation is to have a monitor on the dash as Tomo san showed. In dash monitor is nice but not for your G. Deck is located too low for monitor. Also, monitor size is limited to 6.5". You can find much bigger monitor for on-dash.
I am now shopping for Navigation system. I am only looking at on dash monitors. I will share pics when I get it.

Yasu

1 - 10 of 10 Posts