Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 C-230, 07 C-280 4matic
82 Posts
Stewart and Stevenson have a web site with a battle reinforced G-wagen. Type in G-wagen into your search browser with Stewart and you will find the password protected site. Does this perhaps imply the takeover of the G-Line for military applications? 45 Million US is cheap for the machine work, especially if they can adapt it for military contracts with armour.

Just a thought...maybe a future for parts

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My own thoughts are, like BMW with Landrover, like the Chinese more recently with Rover MG, a cheap way of buying the technology instead of all that R&D and tooling up costs, There certainly isn't the capacity in the UK to produce what the USMC might need and the Pinz has been on test for some time in various configurations and has recently been seen at APV MD.
So as someone asked me recently what does my contact AT know that we don't. well now you know.

·
Registered
92 300GDS, 87 280GEL
60 Posts
Buying ATL also gives SS the rights to sell Steyr-Puch G's, at least in the UK for certain. I know that Automotive Technik has the rights to sell the Steyr-Puch Super G in the UK, whether or not they can build it from the ground up is a different matter, I think they could. At least SS now own a factory wich can at least assemble and modify them.

·
Registered
'91 G300D SWB Manual, '99 ML320 7 seater
827 Posts
MudManiac - 4/12/2005 1:42 PM

Buying ATL also gives SS the rights to sell Steyr-Puch G's, at least in the UK for certain. I know that Automotive Technik has the rights to sell the Steyr-Puch Super G in the UK, whether or not they can build it from the ground up is a different matter, I think they could. At least SS now own a factory wich can at least assemble and modify them.
I believe that Graz got a lot of aggravation from Caversham Garage (currently G-Wagen.co.uk) when ATL were importing the Puch G290 GDT into the UK. So much so that they decided to withdraw the license to ATL to continue importing them. But perhaps I'm wrong...

·
Registered
92 300GDS, 87 280GEL
60 Posts
You may be right Jesus, It'll be interesting to see what happens though when production comes to an end in Graz. If SS asked them for the rights to build it, what Mercedes would say?

·
Registered
827 Posts
MudManiac - 4/15/2005 9:46 AM

You may be right Jesus, It'll be interesting to see what happens though when production comes to an end in Graz. If SS asked them for the rights to build it, what Mercedes would say?
I don't think that ATL has the premises to undertake the production of the G. The ex-Dennis trucks factory in Guildford is minute... Unless they were given a long term contract which would enable them to seriously invest in a new and larger factory.

I know, however, that they would encounter a big competitor in ELBO of Greece who have been making G-Wagens for 20 years. This is a factory that used to be owned by Steyr and which even its production line ressembles that of Graz. They have the premises, the tooling, the know-how, the experience, the manning, the funding, the auxiliary industry.... what else do they need? They have been bidding for the contract for years. Hello? DC? Anybody home?

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
mortinson - 4/15/2005 6:15 PM

I know, however, that they would encounter a big competitor in ELBO of Greece who have been making G-Wagens for 20 years.
Is this the same company that builds G's as Complete Knock Downs (CDK)? By the way Mortinson, I checked - no one at DC is home. [;)] [:D]

Kidding about DC not being home. [:)]

·
Registered
827 Posts
BrentG500 - 4/16/2005 3:31 AM
Is this the same company that builds G's as Complete Knock Downs (CDK)?
Yep. Those are the ones. The famous W462 in CKD, which, by the way, do no longer receive W462 chassis numbers but W461s.

Read the full story here:
http://mercedesgwagen.galeon.com/enlaces680718.html

See the pics here:
http://mercedesgwagen.galeon.com/familia677285.html

See ELBO's website:
http://www.elbo.gr/en/index.html

Those Greeks would be over the moon if they were to be awarded the contract to exclusively build the G-Wagen going forward. Just picture the fact that the ELBO factory is the only automotive factory in the whole of Greece and that all other trucks, cars, tractors, lorries, etc, are imported. And I, for one, having seen the factory would love to see production of the G continued within the EU.

·
Registered
827 Posts
BrentG500 - 4/17/2005 7:02 PM

I don't think it's possible for station wagens to be built from CKD, or am I wrong?
I don't quite understand your question but if it helps and my memory doesn't help the G-Wagens made in Salonica are not strictly CKD.

The chassis are welded together in situ as well as the build of the engine, the wiring loom and the bodywork (which is entirely made in Greece). I believe that axles, gearbox and transfer box came in boxes, though.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
I'm sorry, perhaps I didn't say what I wanted to say correctly. I was asking if the lwb G (5 door station wagen, hardtop - not removable) could be built from Complete Knock Down form in ELBO? I didn't see any in the pictures on your site or on their site of a LWB one, so I'm thinking it's not possible.

You know, before you mentioned it, I always thought G's were built only in Graz. Interesting to know that Greece is building them too.

·
Registered
827 Posts
BrentG500 - 4/17/2005 10:27 PM

I'm sorry, perhaps I didn't say what I wanted to say correctly. I was asking if the lwb G (5 door station wagen, hardtop - not removable) could be built from Complete Knock Down form in ELBO? I didn't see any in the pictures on your site or on their site of a LWB one, so I'm thinking it's not possible.
That's only because ELBO is only licensed to build military GWagens for the Greek and Cypriot armed- and police forces. But that could change in the future when production in Graz is discontinued.

Regards,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts