Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife got home this evening in ML and complained about one of the headlights turning pink. I turned on headlights and after about 1 minute the drivers side turns pink. I don't know which headlights are on car, how do I determine? Has anyone experienced this and what could be the problem? Is there a transformer or is it just a bulb starting to fail?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Your ML is a female. :)

Sorry, I can't be of much help, I've never heard of this problem before. If I were you, I would swap the bulbs (Left to Right and vice-versa) and see if the problem 'moves' to the other side. Then, you would know, the bulb is on it's last leg. Buy a new H7 bulb, and you are done.

·
Premium Member
16,772 Posts
Whenever one headlight goes the other is soon to follow. The sensible approach is to replace them in pairs with a quality brand and keep the one that is still good as a spare.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Normally BiXenon bulbs begin to flicker when they fail.

The HID Xenon bulbs have an average life span of about 2500 hours. Which is about what my burnt bulb had when it failed. Though my other HID bulb has about 5000 hours and counting.. HID Xenon bulbs are around $200.00. Though maybe now, they may be cheaper.. Haven't shop for one of them for some time.

If you have halogens, then it is easier to start by changing them and then go from there.

AC

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just experienced this on my ML with factory xenons. Anybody know if this is covered under warranty? Extended MB warranty into 2010 or 100K has been a lifesaver. I'm at 65K now.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Wife got home this evening in ML and complained about one of the headlights turning pink. I turned on headlights and after about 1 minute the drivers side turns pink. I don't know which headlights are on car, how do I determine? Has anyone experienced this and what could be the problem? Is there a transformer or is it just a bulb starting to fail?
Hey 61loub,

Please post pictures so as to help other members better diagnose this problem in the future:p

Joking aside, one of the ways I've always been able to tell if an ML has Xenon lamps is if the truck is equipped with headlamp washers.

Does your truck have headlamp washers?

·
Registered
235 Posts
New lamp fixed the pink eye. Almost $225 for the bulb from the dealer. Tech installed it in the driveway N/C. Tech said 9 out of 10 times just the bulb won't fix it and they can be fussy. Unusual he said to go out this early but I run with them on all the time. 03 with 61K. I'm sure I could have gotten the bulb for less but I didn't want to mess with it at that price. Not exactly handy. I've broken assemblies before trying to replace a lamp, so you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
My BiXenons have the high voltage electrical ballasts at the bottom of the headlamp assembly, as shown in the picture. Halogens will not have the high voltage modules.

Only if the BiXenon come installed from the factory is that they will have the headlamp washers and the autoleveling. Otherwise, they will look very similar to the Halogen projectors but the BiXenons will have the HID bulbs and the high voltage ballasts..

AC

Attachments

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
....Only if the BiXenon come installed from the factory is that they will have the headlamp washers and the autoleveling....
That's exactly what I was going to say in response to Boca's question.

Thanks AC_ML.:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts