Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1987 300sdl turbo
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone. I am a proud new owner of a 1986 300sdl. I have a couple of quick questions that I was hoping someone could help me answer. 1, I want to get some wheels for this car and wanted to know what kind of wheels these are?

2, I wanted to change the steering wheel to one that has some wood in it. I saw some Mercedes cars with steering wheels that had half wood like on the top and the bottom parts of the steering wheels. which Mercedes models have these steering wheels and would they fit on the 300sdl.

3, is it normal to feel vibrations in the gas pedal?
4, how much deisel does the tanks hold, because my reserve light does not work. :)
and last, does the sun roof go all the way back or just 80%?

I will post some pics soon. Thanks in advance for all your help. :)

This is my ride.

·
Registered
1982 300CD|1998 GMC Sierra 2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel|2008 Chevy Cobalt 2.2L DD
2,003 Posts
Those are AMG 3 piece Wheels, and go for a nardi or AMG wheel for the wood. A member, DarkOne Actually took a wheel of a newer Mercedes and put it on his SEC. Not normal for the vibration on the gas pedal.

P.S. That's one of the nicest Shifter wood panels I have ever seen.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
Could be the engine shock absorber or bad engine mounts(a common occurence). Look at the clearance between the top of the fan and the fan guard if it is way off center then your motor mounts are shot.

·
Registered
1987 300SDL
129 Posts
Beautiful car. Looks like the person before you took great care of it, I second Cirrus2, mine is a piece of crap that still needs to be retacked with black silicone :) Take care of her and she'll last forever :D

About the tank, it's 23.8 (or 23.6, I can't remember), with 20 being the standard size and the rest being reserve. Depending on the condition of the rest of the engine, you'll get at least 400-440 miles before needing to refill, and that's being modest.

The sunroof goes back about as far as you're saying, it doesn't fully retract.

·
Registered
78 280S, 81 300SD, 82 300D, 92 300E 2.6, 90 260SE, 94 S280, 10 E300,
900 Posts
Nice car, I noticed that the speedo is in kilometers instead of miles, is this a Canadian model?

·
Registered
1987 300sdl turbo
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Nice car, I noticed that the speedo is in kilometers instead of miles, is this a Canadian model?

Yes, the car is from Canada. I will take some better pictures today and post them up. the persone who sold it to me was 82 years old and the first owner. The car has 135000Km on it.

I forgot to ask. should I change the tranny fluid or should I just leave it alone? I don't think the original owner ever changed it.
And what part do I need to change if the belt is a little loose? is it a pully bearing?

·
Registered
1987 300sdl turbo
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Beautiful car. Looks like the person before you took great care of it, I second Cirrus2, mine is a piece of crap that still needs to be retacked with black silicone :) Take care of her and she'll last forever :D

About the tank, it's 23.8 (or 23.6, I can't remember), with 20 being the standard size and the rest being reserve. Depending on the condition of the rest of the engine, you'll get at least 400-440 miles before needing to refill, and that's being modest.

I got 785 km in the city on a full tank and ran out because I was waiting for the Reserve light to go on , but it never did. I ran out and rolled into a gas station :) . could it be a light bulb problem or something els?

·
Registered
78 280S, 81 300SD, 82 300D, 92 300E 2.6, 90 260SE, 94 S280, 10 E300,
900 Posts
Yes, the car is from Canada. I will take some better pictures today and post them up. the persone who sold it to me was 82 years old and the first owner. The car has 135000Km on it.

I forgot to ask. should I change the tranny fluid or should I just leave it alone? I don't think the original owner ever changed it.

Don't just change the tranny fluid, change all the fluids. (oil, brake fluid, P/S fluid, differential oil) Keep in mind that the car is already 22 years old and keeping the fluids fresh is a great way to keep your car happy. And don't forget to replace the filters (air, oil, tranny, P/S)

·
Registered
1991 350SDL 2004 G500
528 Posts

400-440 miles? Lay off the throttle or check to make sure that everything is working properly! I average 550 per tank and I've gotten to 600 a few times.

·
Registered
162 Posts
can it be tightened up?
Yes, but try greasing where the ends of the linkages meet first. It'll make them function smoothly. Who knows, a bent throttle linkage could be butting up against something causing the vibration. Definitely check those motor mounts.

Good luck with it,
Allen

·
Registered
1987 300sdl turbo
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those are AMG 3 piece Wheels, and go for a nardi or AMG wheel for the wood. A member, DarkOne Actually took a wheel of a newer Mercedes and put it on his SEC. Not normal for the vibration on the gas pedal.

P.S. That's one of the nicest Shifter wood panels I have ever seen.
Do those AMG 3 piece wheels come in different sizes? what size will fit on my 300sdl? Do I need a special offset? what is the best size for those wheels? thanks

·
Mercedes
9,039 Posts
Do those AMG 3 piece wheels come in different sizes? what size will fit on my 300sdl? Do I need a special offset? what is the best size for those wheels? thanks
The wheels can be found and fitted in a staggered set-up. Soyouwould have 17" with 8.5" wide fronts(ET18) and rears that are 10" wide with ET17.

·
Registered
1987 300sdl turbo
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The wheels can be found and fitted in a staggered set-up. Soyouwould have 17" with 8.5" wide fronts(ET18) and rears that are 10" wide with ET17.
Does it have to be staggered? or can it be 8.5 all around? is 17" the normal or could you go bigger?

·
Registered
1982 240d 211k miles
132 Posts
Does it have to be staggered? or can it be 8.5 all around? is 17" the normal or could you go bigger?
This is a good question. I'm interested to know too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts