Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

I have a w124 200 1985 with a side draft Pierburg 175 CD carb and a water-driven auto choke. Its done more than 500,000km. I know, I know...this is the w123 section, but I supposed that I would have better luck finding carb gurus here than at the w124 section, no offence to those guys who are BTW great.

Anyways, I have a few burning questions here:

1. Im running rich. Which way do i turn the solenoid-mixture thingy to adjust the CO? Oh...and if you happen to say counter/clockwise, please say from which point: i.e from looking at the carb from above or from below.

2. Which method of checking the optimum fuel-air ratio is the best, in a car this old: via a metering device put at the exhaust, OR via checking the sparklugs' residue?

3. Thinking of rebuilding the old carb. The diaphragm's on its way south. The needle looks OK but tilts somewhat, but not bent. I have a fairly competent DIY buddy, so we're thinking of keeping the downtime to a minimum (one day, perhaps?). What other stuff would I need to get to do a complete refurbishment?

4. I live in Malaysia, and the ambient temp, even on 'cold nights' rarely drop below 22C. I've disabled the autochoke via turning the water housing to the right (from a 'facing the engine' perspective). This prevents the bimetallic strip from pushing on the choke cam when its cold.

4.1. Have I effectively disabled the autochoke? Or is there some other thing I missed?
4.2. Apart from cold weather starting, which I don't need, what else am I not getting by disabling the auto choke?

Thx!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same problem as you buddy. I have the 1987 200E 2.3 and would love to get my hands on a spare carburetor

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys.

I have a w124 200 1985 with a side draft Pierburg 175 CD carb and a water-driven auto choke. Its done more than 500,000km. I know, I know...this is the w123 section, but I supposed that I would have better luck finding carb gurus here than at the w124 section, no offence to those guys who are BTW great.

1. Im running rich. Which way do i turn the solenoid-mixture thingy to adjust the CO? Oh...and if you happen to say counter/clockwise, please say from which point: i.e from looking at the carb from above or from below.

2. Which method of checking the optimum fuel-air ratio is the best, in a car this old: via a metering device put at the exhaust, OR via checking the sparklugs' residue?

3. Thinking of rebuilding the old carb. The diaphragm's on its way south. The needle looks OK but tilts somewhat, but not bent. I have a fairly competent DIY buddy, so we're thinking of keeping the downtime to a minimum (one day, perhaps?). What other stuff would I need to get to do a complete refurbishment?

4. I live in Malaysia, and the ambient temp, even on 'cold nights' rarely drop below 22C. I've disabled the autochoke via turning the water housing to the right (from a 'facing the engine' perspective). This prevents the bimetallic strip from pushing on the choke cam when its cold.

4.1. Have I effectively disabled the autochoke? Or is there some other thing I missed?
4.2. Apart from cold weather starting, which I don't need, what else am I not getting by disabling the auto choke?

Thx!!
[/https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0900c152/80/0a/e8/90/large/0900c152800ae890.gif&imgrefurl=https://www.autozone.com/repairguides/Mercedes-Coupes-Sedans-Wagons-1974-1984-Repair-Guide/Carbureted-Fuel-System/Carburetors/_/P-0900c152800ae88c&docid=_cRixgGKVwbIjM&tbnid=ahsTn-QvYrr-EM:&vet=1&w=1000&h=1539&hl=en-US&source=sh/x/im

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys.

Thx!!

·
Registered
1980 280CE; 1982 300CD
1,250 Posts
Google Stromberg 175CD or Zenith 175CD to find all kinds of images and manuals.

I have an MB FSM for this carb- I’d post but it’s 22 files in sizes up to 3MB. I found it using Google.

FB

·
Registered
1980 280CE; 1982 300CD
1,250 Posts
I’ll see what I can do when I get back to my computer tomorrow.

FB

·
Registered
1980 280CE; 1982 300CD
1,250 Posts

·
Registered
1980 280CE; 1982 300CD
1,250 Posts

·
Registered
1980 280CE; 1982 300CD