Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1989 300 SL (R107)
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm taking it out. Remote operation does not work any longer. Started this morning with opening. This afternoon, I can't close it.

·
Registered
769 Posts
jamesbond007 said:
I'm taking it out. Remote operation does not work any longer. Started this morning with opening. This afternoon, I can't close it.
:mad: Piece of sh....
Did you check you installtion??

·
Registered
858 Posts
jamesbond007 said:
:mad: Piece of sh....
:confused: Do you plan to replace it? Many have had problems with installation, but got those items resolved. Obviously a defective module. I hope you consider replacing it. Tons of MB owners love the benefits.

·
Registered
1989 300 SL (R107)
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it is going for good. Don't like the idea of having something on the car MB can't service. It was installed by a friend working at the French MB HQ in the electrical/electronic department. It was properly installed and actually did work properly for 2 weeks. For the moment it's disabled (too worried it might now create other problems on the car) but as soon as I can get my friend to take it off, it's going back to Piecha for reimbursement. Really nice when it works, but again if MB cannot officially touch it, it does not belong on the car.

·
Registered
1989 300 SL (R107)
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems that I was pushing the button too slowly. A friend who has the smartop module came to take it off and tried it and it worked. I have tried several times since then and it works. I really have to do it more quickly than before. I had not noticed that I had changed the way I was doing it. Anyway, it is still on the car and getting a second chance.

·
Registered
2011 SLK 250 BE (R172)
27 Posts
jamesbond007 said:
It seems that I was pushing the button too slowly. A friend who has the smartop module came to take it off and tried it and it worked. I have tried several times since then and it works. I really have to do it more quickly than before. I had not noticed that I had changed the way I was doing it. Anyway, it is still on the car and getting a second chance.
Good to hear! Module works fine for me. Actually, however, I think that module should be developed to operate roof in-car by either longer or two/several clicks, my experience is, that it is quite easy to start roof operation by mistake, just hitting the button either by driver or - which is worse - by passanger. Out-of-car maybe less than 3 clicks (in addition to one opening door-lock) would be enough? Maybe I learn using it better, but now it takes two to three attempts (series of 3-clicks) to open the roof outside.

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
jamesbond007 said:
Good, I seriously can't imagine not having it now, I used it in motion frequently, I don't have any problems with the 3 clicks, just watch as the blinkers goes on and off, then press again, isn't it the same with the new ones?

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
jamesbond007 said:
Glad it's working fine. The cadence for pushing the lock/unlock button is: 1 and 2 and 3 (about half-second apart only) and do not wait for the lights to finish flashing.

·
Registered
1989 300 SL (R107)
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exactly as you say. Do not necessarily wait for the lights to stop flashing. Actually, I now work by the sound of the door locks. As soon as you hear the second sound (it(s a bit like a trigger), I click again.

·
Registered
2007 SLK55 AMG Iridium Silver
246 Posts
i wouldn't put an aftermarket part like that to a $50k+ car. just doesn't seem reliable. closing and opening the top in the car isn't much of a hassle anyways. close it when your parked, open it before you drive off. simple as that. i dont even find myself opening the top unless it's winter (with airscarf of course) or at night: just too many insects/bird crap and stuff. i dont want that stuff getting into my interior.

everytime i see bird dropping on my top, i thank myself that i didn't drive with the top open during that day. i would hate cleaning bird droppings in my interior. IMO, cleaner interior>showing off that my car is a convertable. its too hot here to for drop top driving during the day anyways. for me having a convertable isn't a must, just a bonus to the already nice functioning coupe. but that's just me

·
Registered
1989 300 SL (R107)
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dr. Aaltonen said:
, I think that module should be developed to operate roof in-car by either longer or two/several clicks, my experience is, that it is quite easy to start roof operation by mistake, just hitting the button either by driver or - which is worse - by passanger.
I agree, I have nightmares of the roof opening at high speed by just hitting the button (I know the roof cannot be open at speeds above 45 to 60 km/h, but who knows if that feature indeed works...and who wants to test it?...). Do you remember one of my movies where I could eject the passenger through the roof of the DB5? That's exactly my nightmare....;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts