Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pictures of my shifter removal and replace after letting the shifter drink some diet dr. pepper (just a couple a drops, so be carefull, this is not a cheap fix). Thanks to all who contribute to this forum as the information I found here enabled me to diagnose the problem and also how to fix the nightmare. I wanted to post some pictures and relay some things I found out. The entire console does have to removed to remove the shifter as the 2 rear allen bolts are covered by an air duct. The very rear panel of console just pops out as well as the rear air vents and air duct, you will notice 2 small phillips screws in back of console once the rear air vent duct is removed. Once the 2 small screws are removed, the black plastic piece which contains wires in the lower center console can be pushed toward front of car to access two gold colored phillips screws securing the console to the floor. The console can be laid upright (not removed entirely) in order to finish removing air duct that covers the allen bolts securing shifter. The most difficult part is removing the clip that secures the linkage to trans., and also reinstalling it is alot of fun! I heard rumors of having to reflash the car (only at dealer) so it would run, not true plug and play. I did have to enter the radio code and resyncronize windows, seats, sunroof, etc. (refer to owners manual - easy). Part cost $392 + tax, I've read here some have spent $1000 at dealer to replace, well worth the savings! Hope this helps someone else, Chris.

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Worst design evah...

I am so glad that you took the time to post these pictures. Every time I place my stainless Starbucks coffee mug into the holder I think about what would have to be done if i spill some in there. My girlfriend has been lectured ad nauseum about how important this is to me.

You may remember, I have the same car as you, but I would love to have the black interior! Keep up the good work, and thanks.:thumbsup:

PS. Is there any way of improvising an additional seal while you are in there?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Great Job Chris

I knew you could do it!!

Great pictures, these will hekp the many that follow do this. It is straight forward diy and will save thousands of dollars.

bty you can get these used for about half the dealer price, and you are just going to do it again.

(Keep the car and loose the girlfriend)

Good Job!!

B

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, If you're worried about the small electrical board in there please take a moment to look it over carefully. If there seems to be Soda in it you can remove it, clean it and get it back in there...

Get an ESD (electrostatic disipatative bag) from radio shack to handle and store it in. unplug everything from the harness there and use a coton swab with rubbing alcohol to clean the surface of the board and electronic components with. Using a magnifying glass or microscope look for bad or burnt out components- Also, check for broken solder traces on the ends or sides of the pieces... It can be time consuming, but if its the board and if its visible- (damage may not always be visible) you might be able to track down the culprit quickly.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Just tossing in the link to the pics from the module removal itself DIY from the W208 forum...This is already in our DIY stickies but that way they're both linked together. (I love the one picture in this one with the module out and all those wires...and the little magnetic bin of screws...looks worse than it is, I'm sure.)

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208-clk-class/1353354-shift-module-removal.html

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Shifter

Well, we have Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Diet Pepsi, water and now I can add Gevalia coffee to the list. Long story, but $500 and a few hours later, and the new shifter is in... Not a bad DIY project; thought it would be worse.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
A thunder storm

and an open sun roof.Some guy called me to embarrassed to post his issue of a small dog he has, relieving itself right on the shifter.No hope for that one the salt fried the whole board.
:bowdown:eek:hlord

·
Registered
206 Posts
Here are some pictures of my shifter removal and replace after letting the shifter drink some diet dr. pepper (just a couple a drops, so be carefull, this is not a cheap fix). Thanks to all who contribute to this forum as the information I found here enabled me to diagnose the problem and also how to fix the nightmare. I wanted to post some pictures and relay some things I found out. The entire console does have to removed to remove the shifter as the 2 rear allen bolts are covered by an air duct. The very rear panel of console just pops out as well as the rear air vents and air duct, you will notice 2 small phillips screws in back of console once the rear air vent duct is removed. Once the 2 small screws are removed, the black plastic piece which contains wires in the lower center console can be pushed toward front of car to access two gold colored phillips screws securing the console to the floor. The console can be laid upright (not removed entirely) in order to finish removing air duct that covers the allen bolts securing shifter. The most difficult part is removing the clip that secures the linkage to trans., and also reinstalling it is alot of fun! I heard rumors of having to reflash the car (only at dealer) so it would run, not true plug and play. I did have to enter the radio code and resyncronize windows, seats, sunroof, etc. (refer to owners manual - easy). Part cost $392 + tax, I've read here some have spent $1000 at dealer to replace, well worth the savings! Hope this helps someone else, Chris.
great write up.
where did you buy the part from ? dealers here in NJ are quoting 500. Did you have to reprogram the part and clear the trouble codes that came up from the bad module that was in the car or did they clear up by themselves ?
the shifter linkage under the car, did you take it out from above or did you get under the car to do that ?
thanks. !

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did all the work from inside the car, although it might be easier to disconnect the shifter linkage bushing from underneath, from in the car is no easy task. Just keep shopping for the best price for the shifter itself, maybe shop online. I couldn't justify the savings to buy a used one and maybe have to go through all that labor again if it failed. Chris :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't get it

I went to the DIY forum but it only talks about removing that entire shifter assembly (what exactly is that whole assembly I have in piture called so I know where how to buy replacement part?); It does not saying anything about reaching the module chip or really how to clean it; so can someone tell me how to do this, I can't see how to replace cover with the gear letters on it somebody plz help me with this.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried cleaning the shifter assembly as many on this forum recommend, but after diet dr. pepper was spilled on the shifter it was fried! I had to replace my entire shifter assembly. Chris :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
When the shifter goes bad the car goes in the the limp home mode. stuck in second gear. For those who replaced the shifter, how did you clear the trouble codes and the check engine lights ?
thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While replacing the shifter, I had the battery disconnected. When done replacing the shifter assembly, I simply reconnected the battery and went thru the owners manual to resyncronize various systems. After that, all those pesky lights were gone! Chris :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have a YR2000 E320. Coffee spilt onto the console. The Engine starts but I can feel its having trouble. The checK engine light is on. The gear indicator on the console does not work. The Shifter is stuck in Park but I can do the "pencil in the hole" trick to get it out of park. I need to take out the TCM(?) which appears to be held down by three security star bolts. I will try cleaning it first once I have removed it. Can someone please tell me the tool I need to remove these three bolts to get the TCM out. What size are these for this car ? Do I need to remove the larger gold colored bolts as well ? What is the best source for the TCM module ? Do I need the whole module or just the board ? Am I going to need to replace anything else. Thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
206 Posts
dilsingh, you need a hex key to remove the three bolts. you dont need to remove the gold bolts. cleaning wont help. I tried. simply call and get a used working unit. It's $145 plus shipping from potomac their website is Potomac German Auto : Nation's Largest Since 1979.
what you do is remove the unit, and then try to put the gear in N or D, it'll be easier to access the clip underneath which you'll need to remove to get the whole assembly out.
And take off the positive battery terminal before you start this.. Also make sure the parking brake is ON, and that you put some sort of brick etc behind atleast two tires to stop the vehicle from moving when you do this.
the clip underneath is a bit tricky. it would help if you did the clip unscrew from the front passenger seat, once the three hex bolts are off, put it in D manually and then tilt the unit towards the driver side so you can see the clip underneath,
to take the clip off, use pliers hold the clip from the sides, it simply slides off but you'll need to try a couple of times. put some sort of electrical tape etc around the shifter underneath that the TCM moves when you change gears. tape around that lever and tape the other end to something inside the car. this way when you take the clip off, the shift rod won't drop down making it difficult for you to grab it again to put the clip on again.
good luck. ! when u put the battery back on, lock / unlock the car with the key, and then, the ABS/BAS lights will remain on. turn the steering wheel from extreme right to extreme left 3 or 4 times, and the lights will go off.
for the windows, simply keep the window up button pressed for each window for more than 4 seconds for each window after all the windows are already fully up. that will sync the windows too. for the sunroof, once the sunroof is closed, keep the button pressed towards close side for another 4 seconds.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thanks you very much for all your help. This is much cheaper way to go. Can you tell me the size of the TORX bit, I will need to remover the three bolts ?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts