Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I hope this will lay to rest some of the speculation about the AMG front wings since people have been wondering if they're some kinda 'cache' cover.

They're a separate piece, just the size of the wing. They are 'hooked' in three different places.

The first place is just to the side of the front MB Star, in a sort of 'indentation' which is roughly 2-3mm inwards. In this first pic, you can see me pushing down on the wing part (it moves up and down a few mm's if you try), pics 1 and 2 are taken of the left wing, pics 3 and 4 of the right wing:

In this second pic, I'm pulling it up a bit, and you can see that it has moved up a few millimeters...

In this pic taken from below, you can see the shape of the 'wing' part as I've outlined it with the red dots. The piece itself seems/feels hollow:

And finally, in this pic, you can see two clips underneath the wing, that are used to also hold it in place. I think I could remove the wing piece by simply unclipping those two clips, but I'm not gonna risk having them break, so if someone else wants to try, be my guest [;)]:

Hope this clears it up for those who have been asking about it. If one has an AMG, and wants the chrome wings, you would probably be better off removing these wings and bringing them over to a place where they do professional chroming of plastic pieces. It will probably cost you less then buying the chrome wing pieces, and it means that you've got pieces that can clip in place and not be something stuck on by sticker.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
SLK 200 R171
67 Posts
Shinigami - 3/31/2005 4:46 AM

Ok, I hope this will lay to rest some of the speculation about the AMG front wings since people have been wondering if they're some kinda 'cache' cover.

They're a separate piece, just the size of the wing. They are 'hooked' in three different places.

The first place is just to the side of the front MB Star, in a sort of 'indentation' which is roughly 2-3mm inwards. In this first pic, you can see me pushing down on the wing part (it moves up and down a few mm's if you try), pics 1 and 2 are taken of the left wing, pics 3 and 4 of the right wing:

In this second pic, I'm pulling it up a bit, and you can see that it has moved up a few millimeters...

In this pic taken from below, you can see the shape of the 'wing' part as I've outlined it with the red dots. The piece itself seems/feels hollow:

And finally, in this pic, you can see two clips underneath the wing, that are used to also hold it in place. I think I could remove the wing piece by simply unclipping those two clips, but I'm not gonna risk having them break, so if someone else wants to try, be my guest [;)]:

Hope this clears it up for those who have been asking about it. If one has an AMG, and wants the chrome wings, you would probably be better off removing these wings and bringing them over to a place where they do professional chroming of plastic pieces. It will probably cost you less then buying the chrome wing pieces, and it means that you've got pieces that can clip in place and not be something stuck on by sticker.

Just my two cents.
Shinigami,

Thanks for the guidlines, that helps to clairfy my doubts now and having to order the pair of wings, the grill and the bumper so that it will fit perfectly.

Cheers !

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
Shinigami, my SLK55 should be on the water now.

It is Ob Black and I'm considering added the Chrome Grill to add some definition to the dark grill.

FYM has them for $99 for the pair.

But from your post, I'm not sure the SLK55 Grill "wings" are the same size shape as the standard SLK350.

Do you know are the "wings" the same between SLK350 and SLK55? Except for color.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The wings in a non AMG SLK, are part of the front bumper. It is one solid piece, i.e. not detacheable like in the AMG.

I don't know if they're exactly the same size, but I think they must be, because if my memory serves me right, someone with a 55 added the chrome wings on his car.

But like I mentioned in my post, if you can find someone to chrome plate your black wings for cheaper then the cost of buying the chrome covers, then try it. Might give a cleaner look (but as I haven't done this, don't take what I saw as a definitive answer, the result may be different).

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
Shinigami

"It will probably cost you less then buying the chrome wing pieces, and it means that you've got pieces that can clip in place and not be something stuck on by sticker"

The OEM chrome wings also have the 'clips'. In fact, they are just there to guide the wing, and ensure perfect positioning. I must admit, after fitting, they do look like clips. The sticker is underneath the top of the wing as fitted on the car.

I bet you the black ones are identical. If you ever had to take them off, you would have to start by pulling them off from the top.

See my earlier post - chrome wings before and after.

I attach a picture of the wings, clearly showing the sticker, and the 'clips', which they are not.

roadsta

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts