Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SEL Astral Silver/Silver blue leather,Michelins,SONY
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a loose wire in right side rear door seat controls. A green and red wire has come out of a plug (I guess its a plug) and I have no idea where it goes.
Also, are those little "backs" or " caps" on the switches removable and how? The loose wire has killed the window etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
That red/green wire is one of the two switch wires for the rear window motor (either the "down" side or the power supply, as you said it killed the window). You will need a soldering iron, a fine slot screwdriver, and a pair of needlenose pliers to fix it.

Take out the switch panel again, and then unplug the back of the window switch. The "male" side of the switch is the part that faces the inside of the car. I think it has four or five pins. Now look into the "female" side of the switch (the one with the wires attached), and you should see four (or five) metal sockets that accept the male pins. I would wager that you now only have three (four) wires coming out from this, and the red/green is the missing wire. You will need to open up the back side of the female plug (a fine slot screwdriver works best, being gentle with the plastic clips, which are on each end of the plug). If you do this carefully, the wires and metal sockets will stay in their original positions, and you can make a note as to which color goes where. Each hole is numbered inside the female plug. Again, I would wager that there is one socket with no wire (and you can guess which wire that should be...). The top of the socket is likely filled with old solder, and when you heat the old solder, you can reinsert the end of the wire into the metal parts from the side. Add fresh solder, and you can then reassemble the whole switch. I would say this will take you about twenty minutes total time...

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,492 Posts
I would add take pictures of the socket with the "lid" off first, so you can get it back together in the same fashion it was originally. I use my cell phone to take these.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts