Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Mercedes Benz 300E 2.8L & 1984 Mercedes Benz 300SD Turbo Diesel
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone post a picture of their power steering belt? Mine got really frayed and came off, I bought a replacement OEM belt but I'm not quite sure how it's supposed to go on. Thanks!

·
Registered
1983 300 SD, 1991 420 SEL, 1979 300SD
536 Posts
post what vehicle it is. if it's the SD it will ride on the very front of the crankshaft pulley grooves. you have to loosen 3 bolts on the back of the PS pump and turn the adjustment screw on the top counter-clockwise to loosen the PS pump. reverse steps after putting on belt

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
post what vehicle it is. if it's the SD it will ride on the very front of the crankshaft pulley grooves. you have to loosen 3 bolts on the back of the PS pump and turn the adjustment screw on the top counter-clockwise to loosen the PS pump. reverse steps after putting on belt
Thanks, it's the '84 300SD. I read about the 3 bolts but the problem is the old belt came off the bottom pulley all by itself, so I don't know how it was on before. When putting the new one on, do I have to go on the outside or inside of the radiator hoses? At firt glance it looks like I might have to undo a few other things but a picture of the belt on the pulleys would help me make sense of it.

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
The power steering belt is the outer most, towards the front of the engine.

Should go on pretty easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The power steering belt is the outer most, towards the front of the engine.

Should go on pretty easy.
Thank you so much, that's exactly what I was looking for. The problem is the refrigerant compressor belt is missing, so I almost thought I had to connect pulley 6 to pulley 4 in the diagram. Makes much more sense now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it was kind of a pain to get the new belt on but it's on and the steering is awesome now. Thanks again for the help RMAC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts