Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
91 black 300E (from college days), 01 Vette, 01 Porsche 911, 08 Porsche 911, Lincoln Navigator
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picture of my lowered W124, what do guys think?

Cost me $1,100 for HR Springs and Bilstein sport shocks. I 've been thinking about the body kit and AMG Aero wheels, but I couldn't justify its high cost even though I have no plan of selling this car after 16 years of ownership. I paid $49,000.

Quality of the pic is low because I took it with my cel phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
JJB236 said:
Cost me $1,100 for HR Springs and Bilstein sport shocks. I 've been thinking about the body kit and AMG Aero wheels, but I don't know if it's worth it to spend that much money even though I have no plan to sell this car after 16 years of ownership.

Quality of the pic is low because I took it with my cel phone.
Nice!. Skip the body kit and color match the molding.

·
Registered
91 black 300E (from college days), 01 Vette, 01 Porsche 911, 08 Porsche 911, Lincoln Navigator
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
How do I color match the molding? I always wanted to do that.

Yal said:
Nice!. Skip the body kit and color match the molding.
Yeah, you think so, skip the body kit? What about the wheels? Those are original 15 inch rims, though I changed the tires to the maximum of 205's.

Some guy (I think "260E") in this forum said that he used BBQ grill paint to color match the molding. I appreciate any suggestion about color matching the modling.

Btw, I returned the E500 Euro headlights for 500E Euros. It will be at the end of May before I get them.

Another pic of my car from the side. They do look pretty low, doesn't it?

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well...

I haven't done a lot of modding in the past until recently. Except for the H & R springs, Bilstein sport shocks, clear corners, blacked out grille frame, and tail lights, all the rest are stock.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chrome rims are out these days, but the design of my rims seem to tone down the chrome to make them appear okay. Anyone have silver or black AMG Aero's? Shops only recommend up to 17" for this car?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
260E
74 Posts
Very nice!

I'm not a fan of colour coding the 'bottom' section of the car.. maybe because my 260E is white and I love the off white colour it has in the bottom section.. but in your case I think it would look better havign the whole thing black?

Either way, the lowering looks great and it's the next thing I want to do with my car :)

·
Registered
280GE 320TE 280SE 3.5 ML500
446 Posts
Looks great. I also say forget the body kit and do some colour matching of the bumpers. As for wheels it's pretty hard to go past AMG Monoblocks. If you don't go bigger than 17s and run 215/45/17 tyres you'll have a great combo.

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 300e 2.8
208 Posts
Photoman - your car ROCKS! I've had one of the pictures of it on my computer for a while now. I love the AMG wheels, especially.

JJB236 - Where did you get Bilstein Sports? I've been trying to get them for the last few weeks, but everyone tells me they don't list them for the 300e anymore - just the Comfort version.

·
Registered
Mercedes E200 black. Mercedes 300ce - sold.
761 Posts
heres my 300ce with the ///AMG mono's on

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes E200 black. Mercedes 300ce - sold.
761 Posts
thats an old picture, she is tinted now and smoked rears

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Photoman said:
Looks great. I also say forget the body kit and do some colour matching of the bumpers. As for wheels it's pretty hard to go past AMG Monoblocks. If you don't go bigger than 17s and run 215/45/17 tyres you'll have a great combo.
Man, your car rocks. Are those original moldings? Did you color match them? How do you color match the bumpers, by the way? Take it to a body shop or just use a spray can like some guys did here in the forum?

I noticed that a picture of your car with blacked out grille frame. Is that what you have now or did you keep the chrome?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
conleycrew3 said:
thats an old picture, she is tinted now and smoked rears
Let's see the new pic. I bet you get compliments on your car all the time in UK.

I always had a thing for the CE's. The roofline on that car is just amazing. I was doing 90 mph once around in early 90's, and there was this white 300CE that pulled along side me. That's when I noticed the graceful line of the CE. I don't know why they don't make the coupes these days based on the E-class rather than the C-class. Today's CLK looks too feminine, and they don't have the graceful lines as they used to on the CE's.

·
Registered
1993 300e 2.8
208 Posts
JJB236 - Where did you get Bilstein Sports? I've been trying to get them for the last few weeks, but everyone tells me they don't list them for the 300e anymore - just the Comfort version.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mgw_300e said:
I got them through my tire guys. I paid close to $700 for a set of four. They first screwed up and ordered & installed the Bilstein Heavy Duty which are not Sports. Even the guys at Bilstein had difficulty telling those two apart.

The guys said they had to tough time ordering the sports because they're not in demand. Try Tire Rack. Good luck. You did drop your car, right?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Beaker27 said:
Very nice!

I'm not a fan of colour coding the 'bottom' section of the car.. maybe because my 260E is white and I love the off white colour it has in the bottom section.. but in your case I think it would look better havign the whole thing black?

Either way, the lowering looks great and it's the next thing I want to do with my car :)
Thanks. I thought about color matching the bottom half. How do you color match them? Body shop? Can those teflon be painted? Do I need to get a new kit for the black moldings?

·
Registered
280GE 320TE 280SE 3.5 ML500
446 Posts
My car was colour coded form the factory. I still have a chrome grill but have painted the plastic behind the chrome black

·
Registered
1993 300e 2.8
208 Posts
I'm planning to. I want to pair up the sports with vogtland springs - 1.6" drop

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
nkpnkp said:
I think that Chrom wheel does not look right.
When I got the car in 1991, chrome was in, believe it or not. I paid extra for those chromes then at the dealership. Now, I need new AMG Aero in silver.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts