Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CL55 AMG, 2019 C300W4, 2020 GLC300W4
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those interested, here is a picture of where the charcoal canister (evaporative emissions control) is located on a 1992 190E 2.3.
The fender liner must be removed first and then the canister is visible.

I was thinking of changing it since it's supposed to be replaced every four years or 75,000 miles I believe. However getting to the mounting screws looks to be too much of a pain. I think the fuse block would have to be removed to get to the screws from the inside fender area under the hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I meant to mention that this is behind the front left wheel...

·
Registered
190E, 993
552 Posts
Would it hinder the performance of the engine if it were 'old' and/or not working correctly? Like an O2 sensor.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason I was considering replacing it was that I recently was getting a strong gasoline odor in the car, especially in the trunk. I replaced the gas cap and that seems to have solved the problem. However since the canister is where the fuel vapors are stored, and when engine temperature, rpm, etc, are appropriate, the fumes are purged from the canister via a vacuum signal and recycled into the intake manifold. So I figured that it would be a good idea to make sure it's working properly by replacing it.

Mike

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you are getting a fuel smell comiing from the trunk you need to check the small rubber gasket that seals the fill tube and the body opening. When you fuel the car the gas replaces the vapors in the tank and when they rush out of the tube they meet resistance at the filler pump nozel and will divert in the trunk if this seal is bad. also any sloshed gas in the fill area will get into the trunk area.

Sorry about the long link.

http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com/tayco/wizard.jsp?partner=tayco&clientid=alloem&baseurl=http://www.alloemautoparts.com/&cookieid=1HU02QCLE1HU02QL4O&year=1992&make=MB&model=190-E-005&category=E&part=Fuel+Filler+Neck+Seal

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Edit above post.

Sorry I did understand your cap replacement seems to have cured the problem, but the vapors the cap allowed into that area wouldn't be able to get into the trunk area if this seal is working properly.[:)]

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Airboy, I think your suggestion is a good one. I'm going to order that seal and replace it.

Thanks, Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts