Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(216K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(182K Miles)
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a fog light lend cracked on my E320. After looking through the forums, I found some descriptions but no pictures of doing it. So I've taken some pictures and did a writeup on the procedure. My car is a Special Edition and the fog light lens is a different shape of the other face lift models, so I hope the procedure applied to the other models.
As a matter of interest, the lens for my car has a 170 designation, that is the lens is the same as that used on some SLKs. However, where the dealer charges $36 for the standard lens, the bigger SLK lens is only $24. Now let me see: low volume lens = low price, high volume lens - high price? :confused::confused:
Or maybe it is: Big car = big pocket, small car = small pocket.:surrender:

At least the standard lens can be bought on-line for about $24.

Any case, here is a PDF attachment it is for what it's worth.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure, maybe somebody else will know.

·
Premium Member
2012 C300 Sport 4Matic and 2003 CLK430 Cabrio
1,919 Posts
Round

If you have an E55 or Sport. There is no lens replacement for the fog light. The entire unit will have to be replaced $$$.:mad:

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As fas as I know, on the SLK's, they just have different cut-outs on the bumper, so even if the fog light look round, it still the same lens behind. On the E55 it may be more of a driving light rather than just a pure fog light?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Hey, Kobus, thanks for the post. Looks like a few fellas were busy this weekend. :)

I have to say I hate that little door for anything more than a bulb change. Otherwise I just yank the belly pan. Takes about 10 minutes to do that and it allows me to look around for drips and other things (and you'd be surprised how much crap accumulates in the pan). I also then argue with myself that since I've gone that far, I should remove the other lens and re-treat the gasket, definite thumbs up on that part of your DIY. That really helps reduce moisture accumulation for a much longer time.

Anyway, you have another DIY in the sticky, and thanks again.

Take care and enjoy the well-lit ride,
Greg

·
Registered
MY97 E320; MY2000 ML320; MY02 Z3
3 Posts
MY97 Specific Fog Lens Info

Thank you for the information on this thread.

I just replaced the driver's side lens on my MY97 E320.

In this model there is only one screw that needs to be removed. It is on the "inboard" side and easily visible from the trapdoor opening. Note that there are two plastic registration prongs (inboard and outboard sides) that seat the lamp fixture to the lower bumper.

In my case it was pressed in pretty tight (probably due to age). I pried it off with my hand and wound up snapping the "inboard side" prong. Luckily, it's in the general location of the mounting screw and looks like it won't impact the placement of the lamp.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2000 Merc. E320 4matic Wagon 210.282 Desert Silver
827 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I have a w210 2000 4matic wagon and the lenses look about the same. I got my lenses from fcp euro for dirt cheap!

I'll let you know how it goes! I also ordered some hyper yellow bulbs for the snow storms!

·
Registered
2000 Merc. E320 4matic Wagon 210.282 Desert Silver
827 Posts
Ok, so it can be done without lifting the car. It's pretty tight. I started on the drivers side (L) and had to pause.

If you see any corrosion on the "POWER CABLE CONNECTOR FLAP" shown in the 8th picture down. LEAVE IT ALONE! If it works, leave it. I pulled the blue one out easily and the red one broke off. My wife is en route bringing me my soldering kit. :(

I will reuse the cup that is soldered onto the red wire after cleaning out the oxidized solder. Hopefully, I will get a good contact.

The whole unit looks pretty good. Might want to start saving my change to get new ones. The replacement units are about 100 bucks from what I quickly looked up. I'd stick with the Hella.

One metal clip is missing from a previous repair. I found a small piece of glass on the gasket from a previous lens. The lens that I removed was road rashed but not chipped anywhere.

Any idea on where to find another metal clip? You don't have to press them down at all. Just stick your flathead into the hole closest to the lens and carefully pry it up and back. The flathead screwdriver will press down on the clip and it will pop off easily.

I'll let you know how the rest of it goes. Re installation of the assembly is going to be tricky on the inboard 8mm screw.

Wish me luck and ...

THANKS FOR POSTING THE TUTORIAL!

All went well. I soldered the red lead back into the cup of the female pin that goes to the assembly. Cleaning it out was easy. I put a drop of solder in the cup first, treated the wire and then connected the two. Once I got it all back together, I went for the passenger side. This was much easier to remove, however, it must have taken a hit. Both the plastic nipples on the assembly were broken off. They guide the light into a proper position and make it easier to install the 8mm screws. This side was completely sealed and did not need any internal cleaning. All three clips were there. I used automotive tape to stick the light into position by adhering it to the body and the lens on the outside of the car. Once the screws were in tight, I removed the tape.

Looks like new assemblies are in my near future.....

Fun stuff!

Thanks

Total success! nokya hyper yellow h1 bulbs and new lenses installed!

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Sping, lens fastening: PN 1408260284, about $2.50 at the stealer.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
as always, YOU ROCK!

Thanks!
The EPC is our friend. ;)

Truth to tell, the reason I checked was that I didn't think they were separately available and was, obviously, pleasantly surprised to find I was wrong. And since I admit that, you know I'm not a politician. :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you!

Have one that was recently cracked from a rock, so this is a great help to me!
Got lucky and found a replacement lens, so now I can use this info and get it changed out. Appreciate your effort and sharing, thank you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts