Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E320 SE, 2006 CL55 AMG
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took some photos of the C-Pillar removal. I found it pretty tricky. I made up a procedure. I think pro's will be able to correct my mistakes and look forward to any pointers. My car is a 2002 W210...

7 photos with the post.

1. Right C Pillar panel
  2. Left C pillar panel
  3. Right front "stud" clip
  4. Left Front "stud" clip
  5. Rear sheet metal clip at back of C-Pillar panel
  6. Right Headliner Clip to get some more working room
  7. Left Headliner clip to get more working room
Here is what I did. Orient yourself with the first two photos. There are three clips which hold this panel into the car. The two front clips are largish white plastic studs which clip into black plastic holes behind the panel. The third is a standard flat sheet metal clip at the back of the panel about 2/5 down the edge flush with the rear glass. I put a red wedge to show where the third clip is located. The goal is to get these clips to pop out without breaking the panel.

Step 1 - Like the Mercedes DVD says, pull back the "edge guards" around the door opening near the C-Pillar panel. Old skool cars called this "pinch welding". No need to pull more than a foot of this welding. Moving some of the pinch welding out of the way gives you visibility to the front stud clip.

Step 2 - The stud clip does not go into a sheet metal hole. It is pressed into a hole in some black plastic (the ceiling panel?). The black plastic behind the C-Pillar panel is what clips into sheet metal. What I did is found a black plastic clip just under the front white stud clip and put a wedge on it, pressed up and pushed this out. This give you a luxurious extra inch (25.4mm) of working room to see what is going on.

Step 3 - Look at the 3rd and 4th photos. With the extra working room afforded by step 2, you can get to the back of the front stud clip. Put a screwdriver on each side to squeeze the clip out the mounting hole in the black plastic. Hopefully nothing cracks. These things have some real give to them but go slow. You can pull the panel somewhat while you squeeze the stud out.

Step 4 - I didn't do anything and the rear clip let free while working on the front clip. If not put a angled wedge 2/5ths down the rear side of the C-Pillar panel between the glass and the panel and pull toward the center of the car. Two of three done...

Step 5 - You can not get to the rear of the white stud clip in the middle of the panel. However, you can pull the panel toward the front of the car and the white stud clip can pop out of the gray panel plastic that it mounts into. I put a wedge on the white clip and pushed it toward the rear of the car while I pulled the C-Pillar panel forward. You can see how this will work by looking at the front stud clip and see how it mounts into the C-Pillar panel.

Again, I made this up. I have no idea if it is correct or not. :eek: I hope someone who knows what they are doing will set us all straight here.

Attachments

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 300CE, 1998 E430(sold), 2000 S430, 2003 S55, 1998 VW Golf(sold)
1,582 Posts
Took some photos of the C-Pillar removal. I found it pretty tricky. I made up a procedure. I think pro's will be able to correct my mistakes and look forward to any pointers. My car is a 2002 W210...

7 photos with the post.

1. Right C Pillar panel
  2. Left C pillar panel
  3. Right front "stud" clip
  4. Left Front "stud" clip
  5. Rear sheet metal clip at back of C-Pillar panel
  6. Right Headliner Clip to get some more working room
  7. Left Headliner clip to get more working room
Here is what I did. Orient yourself with the first two photos. There are three clips which hold this panel into the car. The two front clips are largish white plastic studs which clip into black plastic holes behind the panel. The third is a standard flat sheet metal clip at the back of the panel about 2/5 down the edge flush with the rear glass. I put a red wedge to show where the third clip is located. The goal is to get these clips to pop out without breaking the panel.

Step 1 - Like the Mercedes DVD says, pull back the "edge guards" around the door opening near the C-Pillar panel. Old skool cars called this "pinch welding". No need to pull more than a foot of this welding. Moving some of the pinch welding out of the way gives you visibility to the front stud clip.

Step 2 - The stud clip does not go into a sheet metal hole. It is pressed into a hole in some black plastic (the ceiling panel?). The black plastic behind the C-Pillar panel is what clips into sheet metal. What I did is found a black plastic clip just under the front white stud clip and put a wedge on it, pressed up and pushed this out. This give you a luxurious extra inch (25.4mm) of working room to see what is going on.

Step 3 - Look at the 3rd and 4th photos. With the extra working room afforded by step 2, you can get to the back of the front stud clip. Put a screwdriver on each side to squeeze the clip out the mounting hole in the black plastic. Hopefully nothing cracks. These things have some real give to them but go slow. You can pull the panel somewhat while you squeeze the stud out.

Step 4 - I didn't do anything and the rear clip let free while working on the front clip. If not put a angled wedge 2/5ths down the rear side of the C-Pillar panel between the glass and the panel and pull toward the center of the car. Two of three done...

Step 5 - You can not get to the rear of the white stud clip in the middle of the panel. However, you can pull the panel toward the front of the car and the white stud clip can pop out of the gray panel plastic that it mounts into. I put a wedge on the white clip and pushed it toward the rear of the car while I pulled the C-Pillar panel forward. You can see how this will work by looking at the front stud clip and see how it mounts into the C-Pillar panel.

Again, I made this up. I have no idea if it is correct or not. :eek: I hope someone who knows what they are doing will set us all straight here.
I really appreciate the help. Photos great and help out a ton. If I knew more about repairs I would make a pictorial on repairs. I am a photographer by trade.
I did not see the antenna amp up there I am wondering if I need to pull the headliner a bit
Once again really appreciate the help
Cheers
Scott

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 300CE, 1998 E430(sold), 2000 S430, 2003 S55, 1998 VW Golf(sold)
1,582 Posts
The amp is closer to the wheel well, say shoulder height if you were sitting. The coax connector is nearer the roof.
Skippy

Sent from phone using Autoguide.
Thanks a ton I have the replacement amp you would think they would put it in the trunk like the stereo amp

·
Registered
2007 E320 Bluetec, 2008 320ML CDI
2,428 Posts
I think you can access and replace the amp from the trunk. Need to remove the truck liner.
To access the antenna connection does require removing the C pillar trim.
Skippy

Sent from phone using Autoguide.

·
Registered
2002 E320 SE, 2006 CL55 AMG
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had to pull my cpillar panels again to fix my rear sliding shade. Figured a much easier way to pull these things out. After pulling out the pinch welding, pop the back clip first then pull the panel straight forward. You get a good purchase handhold at seat belt slot. The white clips stay on the car, so you pop those out and transfer to the panel for installation. Much quicker.

This would only work if there are two white clips installed in your car. If your car has three for some reason, this wouldn't work.

·
Registered
1999 E300TD: 320,000 kms. 2002 Golf TDI, 399,000kms, winter beater, parked for the summer.
86 Posts
Thanks very much for posting. Great job.

My radio had poor reception, the antenna amplifier power plug was just hanging there when I took the C-pillar trim off. Works great now.

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts