Registered
2001 W203 C240
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Nice!...

Finally put some pics up over at the Galleries section.

Alas, it was raining this Friday, still cloudy, car dirty and unwaxed, and I still need to put the chrome headlamp surrounds back on. [:(]
Thanks for sharing the pics! A good improvement from the Classic hubcaps eh? [:)] How did you manage to remove the chrome headlamp ring? The tape is quite strong, to say the least!

·
Registered
2001 W203 C240
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[:)]

Thanks.

The headlamp rings, they're not the MB accessories, they were generic...

[:)]

Thanks.

The headlamp rings, they're not the MB accessories, they were generic. The sticky tape didn't hold up too well (or maybe my dad didnt clean the area when he put htem on for me). I just pulled them straight out, but also remembering to pull evenly at all sides to balance it.

When I took them out, I remembered seeing an MB accessory headlamp ring at the Toronto AutoShow.. they're very different. The generic ones are usually wrap-around style (they go around the sides of headlamp unit.. imagine a 3-D structure).. while the OEM ones are flat, and just tape over the outline of the headlamp. Noticed a lot of nicks/chips on the headlamp rings due to hwy travel [:O] imagine the condition of the paint of the car, which has a larger surface area[xx(]

Oh and drew, do you notice what's wrong with my rims?[:p]

·
Registered
ML320/C320 Sprt
4,649 Posts
nice sports pkg rims eh! :) 17 "

·
Registered
1999 Mercedes ML320
809 Posts
I dunno if its my eye, but they look like 16 inch replicas....

I dunno if its my eye, but they look like 16 inch replicas.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Here are mine...

When I took them out, I remembered seeing an MB accessory headlamp ring at the Toronto AutoShow.. they're very different. The generic ones are usually wrap-around style (they go around the sides of headlamp unit.. imagine a 3-D structure).. while the OEM ones are flat, and just tape over the outline of the headlamp.
I tried taking the ones off my ML on Saturday, prior to the Stongard headlamp film installation, but the tape was so strong that I couldn't remove them, even with the 3M installer's heat gun. We ended up trimming the film around the rings instead.

In any case, I guess your rings look different than mine?

Oh and drew, do you notice what's wrong with my rims?[:p]
You mean other than the fact that your centre caps are not the blue MB star laurel ones? [:)]

·
Registered
2001 W203 C240
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah they'e 16" replicas alright.. my dad thinks I got gypped though [V] $2150CAD tax in...

yeah they'e 16" replicas alright.. my dad thinks I got gypped though [V] $2150CAD tax incl with my winter tires (Yokohama AVS Winter --which are GREAT tires)

Umm I can't take a picture right now, but if you turn over the headlamp ring,

mine will be a cup shape |_______________|

while the OEM ones are just _______________

and I know the bixenons play a huge factor, but the pic of your chrome'd headlights seem more luxurious than mine [8)] they actually look good. I didn't think it was still necessary to put the rings on with bixenons (originally thought there was enough shiny things on there already)

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
That sounds like a good price...

yeah they'e 16" replicas alright.. my dad thinks I got gypped though [V] $2150CAD tax incl with my winter tires (Yokohama AVS Winter --which are GREAT tires)
for wheels AND tires! Why does your dad think that you paid too much?

Umm I can't take a picture right now, but if you turn over the headlamp ring,

mine will be a cup shape |_______________|

while the OEM ones are just _______________
Hmm, I don't recall how mine look, but I could swear that there was a slight lip to them as well. Mine were aftermarket, but from the same German supplier that MB OEMs their rings from. I got it from formymercedes.com, for what it's worth.

[quote\and I know the bixenons play a huge factor, but the pic of your chrome'd headlights seem more luxurious than mine [8)] they actually look good. I didn't think it was still necessary to put the rings on with bixenons (originally thought there was enough shiny things on there already)[/quote]

It was not about adding more chrome to the headlamps. It was about filling the ugly gap in between the fender/bumper and the headlamps [:)]

Before:

After:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts