Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Jaguar XJR, RR HSE, Ferrari 360CS, Ferrari 400i & 400i TT, Citroen SM, CL55, Alpine GTA Turbo V6
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is home and underwent serious paint "rejuvenation" (three days worth of work) to take out scratches, swirl marks and any factory surface variation... the second pic is the trunk surface (with some dust specs...hard to keep a black car clean) and the result is quite good for an 11 year old paint job!
I also removed the badging on the trunk since I already know what model it is ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2015 Jaguar XF R Sport Twin Turbo, 1992 500sl Pano, 1999 CBR 1100XX, Super BlackBird, Jaguar X Type
4,818 Posts
Looks sweet, I have just had mine Pro: Swissvaxed looks awesome will get pics soon. I am just frightened I might blind myself :cool:
I looked up the prices of the tins of wax started at $199 and went up to a special formula one at $1,450 :eek:

·
Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,650 Posts
Hey Jag, Nice looking car. I love black when they are clean... You know for the first 5 minutes after being detailed. haha

The factory surface variations? Did they wet sand to get those level?

It looks great, nice find.

·
Registered
Jaguar XJR, RR HSE, Ferrari 360CS, Ferrari 400i & 400i TT, Citroen SM, CL55, Alpine GTA Turbo V6
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Jag, Nice looking car. I love black when they are clean... You know for the first 5 minutes after being detailed. haha

The factory surface variations? Did they wet sand to get those level?

It looks great, nice find.
Yes, wet sand, rubbing compound, glazing compound and final "wet look", also some stone chip touch up, lots of work but mirror finish as a result. It's really noticeable on a black car...as are any flaws!

·
Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,650 Posts
Thats great, I studied up on all of that and do it myself now. It is unreal how different they look afterwards.

·
Registered
'93 SL500 (sold), '88 GMC Sierra 360,000 miles, '86 Yamaha FJ1200 (criminally fast)
770 Posts
I had a Cadillac STS black..... I kept a car duster in the trunk.

I also got a lambs wool ,..... and using bottled water in a pail ( no spots),.... to clean/dust it between washes. Go to a big hardware / paint store. look for a lambswool pad, used for applying varnish on a floor. The pad is about 10" X 6". perfect for this use. ( and cheap)

This is what I sold, before getting my SL.

Attachments

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,813 Posts
Dusters are the perfect instruments to create nano-scratches.

·
Registered
'93 SL500 (sold), '88 GMC Sierra 360,000 miles, '86 Yamaha FJ1200 (criminally fast)
770 Posts
even though you don't see then, they're there after using the feather duster on new paint.
\
I know - I know..... I actually use bottled (cheap) water & a lambswool pad to remove the dust. I use a car duster on my 'ol truck.

I clay bar twice a year, then use a Hawaiian made, liquid carnuba wax.

so, there...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts