Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took these for jono, but i figured somebody else might want to take a look at them too. if anybody needs more specific pics, of CIS/vaccum components, just let me know and i'll whore them on this thread :D

and here are some pics of the cat on an altima i've been working on.

holy rich mixture, batman!!!!!!

the inlet clogged from the pre-cat

the back of it melted out from the raw fuel being dumped in from an ignition misfire

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it sounded pretty muted, actually. still felt pretty peppy though. i put a nice magnaflow muffler on it today with a tasteful stainless steel tip. looks factory too. but it sounded the same when i did the muffler! haha.. so when i took the whole exhaust system off, i confirmed my suspicion. the cat! sounds much nicer without all that garbage in it. next i've gotta do a magnaflow high flow cat, headers, induction system, ignition system, suspension bits.. you guys would be surprised at the quality of the interior. very nice dark stained burlwood.

·
Premium Member
1989 560SEC AMG Euro / 2012 C300 4Matic Sport / 2006 CLS500 AMG
2,338 Posts
Nissan, perhaps it's called something different in NZ?

- Steve

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
indeed. Nissan. i don't think there is a japanese counterpart out your way for this model. i know the older version from japan was called the Nissan Bluebird, but it was an AWD SR20DET variant. Nissan starting to make much nicer cars. i rather like this model of altima. the climate controls are straight forward, simple, easy to deal with, the steering wheel is nice an bulky in your hands, the new black leather weighted shiftknob feels like it was made for your hand, the wood is gorgeous, torquey 2.4L 16V DOHC, lightly bolstered comfortable seats, great gas milage, liveable clutch weight.. many nice features. it feels weird to be in a newer car. then again, it probably wouldn't feel weird if my126 had been perfectly taken care of throughout it's life. would probably feel just as new as this altima.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
NüR-SPEC said:
indeed. Nissan. i don't think there is a japanese counterpart out your way for this model. i know the older version from japan was called the Nissan Bluebird, but it was an AWD SR20DET variant. Nissan starting to make much nicer cars. i rather like this model of altima. the climate controls are straight forward, simple, easy to deal with, the steering wheel is nice an bulky in your hands, the new black leather weighted shiftknob feels like it was made for your hand, the wood is gorgeous, torquey 2.4L 16V DOHC, lightly bolstered comfortable seats, great gas milage, liveable clutch weight.. many nice features. it feels weird to be in a newer car. then again, it probably wouldn't feel weird if my126 had been perfectly taken care of throughout it's life. would probably feel just as new as this altima.
Oh yea the Bluebird, I've been in a mid 1990s one that was fully spec-ed out, it's not a bad car.

·
Registered
1967 250SE RHD, 1969 300SE L, 1989 560SEC with AMG upgrades, 1998 s600 coupe
772 Posts
Q1:The black plastic housing on top of the intake, what is that out of? What kind of car has 5.5" diameter intake?

Q2: the hose that connects to the underneath of the original airbox, where is that now?

Q3: There is another hose that goes into the intake box with a small filter on it, where did that go?

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A1: the intake boot is from a late 80's early 90's 16V digifant Volkswagen. bought it new from autohausaz.com for $30. btw, it smells like weed. really bad. when my engine is cold, i can walk in front of the car and you'd think the engine bay is packed with bricks of very high quality marijuana. idk why it smells like that, but it's rather odd.

A2: that hose is for the PCV to vent into the intake. reason being tht the fumes from blowby are much easier to recirculate as apposed to letting them off into the atmosphere. so i routed that with a 3/8" (i think) hose to the aluminum induction hose where there is a fitting that fits perfectly.

A3: on a 560 airbox, there is a small filter inside on the frontal side of the airbox, right? if that's what you reffering to, my euro 500 has that hose going into the intake manifold bypassing the airbox. i used a sealed breather filter and rand that hose to a "T" fitting where the other PCV hose is to go into the aluminum piping.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here's a better view for ya :thumbsup:

oh and you can actually see the VW part number for the intake boot in the previous pics too.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Thank you...So do you feel difference in the power after the cold air intake and removing the cats? BTW the part number did not bring up anything....

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ChopTop250SE said:
Thank you...So do you feel difference in the power after the cold air intake and removing the cats? BTW the part number did not bring up anything....
i'll prbably get flamed for admitting it, but yes. i did feel a pretty damn noticable difference. this setup isn't my finished product, but more so a in-the-mean-time kinda thing. trust me, though. if you do what i've done with a large enough filter to support the displacment, then you'll most certainly feel the extra bit of giddyup. just be sure to source the air from below the headlight where i did. a 4" holesaw will give you a perfect opening, then just take a piece of vacuum line, cut it lenghtwise with a razorblade, put a little RTV in it, and push it onto the edges of the hole you just cut and you'll have a clean install.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I actually plan on splitting into dual from that intake boot and running air filters on both sides. Since I mine is an SEC, I can get the air right from the gril. I plan on taking the elbows out, that sit next to the head lights, and sticking the filters as out as possible.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ahh. i see. i forgot how easy you SEC guys have it for sourcing air. many more options than a SEL. one thing i will reccomend is a filter with a velocity stack. my K&N has nothing inside of it. just sharp edges. do you already have a filter selection in mind?

·
Registered
772 Posts
What is a velocity stack filter? This is the kind of filter that I have in mind, it is made by S&B filters....

BTW. whay diameter pipes are you using? 3" or 3.5"?

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts
I like that setup. My biggest complaint abouot the later model MB's is that the engine compartments went from beautiful looking works of art, 220SE, 250SE, 280SE, 300SE, and the SL's, to air cleaners.

I may try this on my 420SEL.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kingorcus said:
is this a super charger?? how many extra horses u gained??
no dyno testing yet with the velocity stack filter, so no solid numbers for hp gains. it's not a supercharger. just an updated induction setup.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts